Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 309

Thread: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No. You say it because you have nothing else to make your argument on.
    I don't need anything else. The fact that repealing DADT could cause increased unit friction in the middle of two wars is enough to oppose it.

    We've had bigger social change in the military during more stressful wars and the "rocking" of the proverbial boat has been not been felt to any extensive point.
    It wasn't felt to "any extensive point" doesn't mean it wasn't felt at all, or that it won't be felt at all. I'd rather err on the side of caution instead of taking a chance with people's lives.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Yeah, we shouldn't be rocking the boat by retaining more military personnel in the midst of three wars.
    I repeat: The military is EXCEEDING its recruitment quotas. The idea that we're suffering from some kind of shortage simply isn't true. We have plenty of troops.

  3. #123
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I don't need anything else. The fact that repealing DADT could cause increased unit friction in the middle of two wars is enough to oppose it.
    Space aliens might land tomorrow and blow up the world, making this whole argument moot. However, like your objection, it's not likely enough to be cause for real concern.


    It wasn't felt to "any extensive point" doesn't mean it wasn't felt at all, or that it won't be felt at all. I'd rather err on the side of caution instead of taking a chance with people's lives.
    Every change to the military is felt, however that is not a reason not to change.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It's funny. The army called me just the other day.

    Of course, based on what you have told me, military service would not be in my, nor any other gay person's interest.
    No, based on what I've told you, serving in a Marine infantry unit would not be in your interest. The military is not a homogeneous blob, you know.

  5. #125
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I repeat: The military is EXCEEDING its recruitment quotas. The idea that we're suffering from some kind of shortage simply isn't true. We have plenty of troops.
    I never said that we're suffering from a troop shortage. I'm just asking why we shouldn't retain competent soldiers willing to serve just because they're gay? The fact that it could "rock the boat" isn't enough of a justification.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Space aliens might land tomorrow and blow up the world, making this whole argument moot. However, like your objection, it's not likely enough to be cause for real concern.
    You've already demonstrated an emotional and illogical bias against my position when you misrepresented the findings of the Rand study. So, instead of refuting this perplexing argument, I'll simply say that I'm not interested in discussing this issue with you.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I never said that we're suffering from a troop shortage. I'm just asking why we shouldn't retain competent soldiers willing to serve just because they're gay? The fact that it could "rock the boat" isn't enough of a justification.
    I think it should be up the commander's discretion whether or not to discharge them.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I don't need anything else. The fact that repealing DADT could cause increased unit friction in the middle of two wars is enough to oppose it.
    I read a source today stating 1/4 military personnel knows a homosexual that they serve with. I cant find it, however.

    [pointless personal experience]And while I was in another platoon had a flaming homo in it and he seemed to do great.[/pointless personal experience]

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    I read a source today stating 1/4 military personnel knows a homosexual that they serve with. I cant find it, however.

    [pointless personal experience]And while I was in another platoon had a flaming homo in it and he seemed to do great.[/pointless personal experience]
    That's why I think it should be up to the commander's discretion. What works for one unit may not work for another.

  10. #130
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Top uniformed officer: Gay ban should be lifted

    I hesistate to comment on this. I was denied service in the Army due to my hearing, therefore I think my perspective on this is limited. Frankly I'd like to know one thing: is it going to adversely affect the morale of a large number of our military personnel? If the answer is yes, I'd be hesitant to force it on them. The purpose of the military is to fight wars effectively, not to be fair to everyone or be a platform for social experimentation.

    OTOH, since homosexuality is not a crime in the USA, it does seem inconsistent to treat it as one within the military.


    My chief concern is whether it will affect military readiness through adverse effects on morale. If an honest study says the answer is No, then it would be more consistent with domestic law to remove the restrictions.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •