Page 81 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 LastLast
Results 801 to 810 of 829

Thread: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

  1. #801
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Maybe, maybe not, but it might help the rest of us reduce the sense of otherness. As they say, would you call a child with cancer a "cancer child"?



    As long as you reveal it, it should be okay - sometimes.
    Not if we were talking about Ben who has cancer. Nevertheless, if we are talking in the academy, as is the case with even teaching professionals how to educate correctly-will in fact use such language when describing the abstract notion of a certain child/person who is diagnosed as such. For instance, "The LD child typically has problems doing ______". Rick Lavoie, a person usually hailed in the community for his insights, could be in fact attacked for saying LD child-not because the "LD child" may or may not actually have the characteristics that Rick is describing (since we are a diverse group), but because of it being the disability being considered instead of the child in the language distinction. Sometimes the politically correct tendencies confuse the purpose of its supposed progressivism.

    Furthermore, I am not one to bash people for their disabilities, but I certainly appreciate, or even embrace such humor that many find offensive. Ironically, because of the intense atmosphere, I feel far more human in being able to laugh at the community, laugh at my own disability, and the tendency to be hyper-sensitive. The politically correct atmosphere can deliver us from absolutely awful situations, but likewise, it can also reinforce the awful situations and make minorities feel quite a bit more different from everyone else than perhaps is intended.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 02-10-10 at 06:21 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #802
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Not if we were talking about Ben who has cancer. Nevertheless, if we are talking in the academy, as is the case with even teaching professionals how to educate correctly-will in fact use such language when describing the abstract notion of a certain child/person who is diagnosed as such. For instance, "The LD child typically has problems doing ______".
    Sure, that's not so bad, in the abstract. Still would you say "the cancer child typically has problems doing ______" either?

    Furthermore, I am not one to bash people for their disabilities, but I certainly appreciate, or even embrace such humor that many find offensive. Ironically, because of the intense atmosphere, I feel far more human in being able to laugh at the community, laugh at my own disability, and the tendency to be hyper-sensitive. The politically correct atmosphere can deliver us from absolutely awful situations, but likewise, it can also reinforce the awful situations and make minorities feel quite a bit more different from everyone else than perhaps is intended.
    I agree completely on that.

  3. #803
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    I'm sure I would find myself doing it quite often, not to make a point of it, but because of its sheer innocence. What is regretful is that because of this developing language distinction, there is this belief that those who are not using it are somehow less than genuine, less than well-meaning, and less than effective. I do not believe that to be true in the slightest.

    Again, I have known families who have dealt with people who literally would say "MR child" while referring specifically to a child they know and/or teach. Truly it is insulting not to be able to ask for their names, to try to remember their names, and instead refer to the child, even in the presence of the parent, as strictly their disability. Nevertheless, there is also a reluctance to accept the possibility, or perhaps even a really great probability, that the people in question, until someone told them about such a distinction, would have never even thought of it. Until the last several years, I have been utterly ignorant of such a development in linguistics, and personally, have felt no real need to advocate it. This is to admit that a personal experience is limited in validity, but at the same time, one has to wonder just how important adding the word "with" is to improving one's self-identity. I think there are a great deal of moments where who we are, or what we were born with will come apparent without linguistics, and such distinctions may have little use in interpreting them. If I have a sibling who is unable to live by themselves for the foreseeable future, because of the sense that they are not developmentally capable of doing so responsibly, will these language distinctions really take away that sting of figuring out that your life is quite a bit different from others?
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 02-10-10 at 06:44 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #804
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Maybe, maybe not, but it might help the rest of us reduce the sense of otherness. As they say, would you call a child with cancer a "cancer child"?



    As long as you reveal it, it should be okay - sometimes.
    Actually, people DO use 'cancer' in a derogatory fashion, such as: Sarah Palin "Represents A Fatal Cancer To The Republican Party"

  5. #805
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Actually, people DO use 'cancer' in a derogatory fashion, such as: Sarah Palin "Represents A Fatal Cancer To The Republican Party"
    *slaps self*

    How can I forget that?!

    Oops!
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #806
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Actually, people DO use 'cancer' in a derogatory fashion, such as: Sarah Palin "Represents A Fatal Cancer To The Republican Party"
    Good point. We were talking about how exactly to use it properly though. Splitting some hairs.

    And of course, cancers aren't people. Cancer is bad, and doesn't feel belittled when you say so.
    Last edited by misterman; 02-10-10 at 08:22 PM.

  7. #807
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    There is no way nice of saying no matter what term you use nobody wants to be compared to a mentally challenged person.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  8. #808
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Good point. We were talking about how exactly to use it properly though. Splitting some hairs.

    And of course, cancers aren't people. Cancer is bad, and doesn't feel belittled when you say so.
    The people who get told they are a cancer on society have feelings. Some if them get told that based on shaky rationale. Insults get hurled so easily in this uncivil age.

  9. #809
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 04:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    This is dumb. We can't even use the word 'retarded' to describe a mentally retarded person anymore because people use it as slang. Now Palin has to go and make a big to do over one of her political opponents using the term 'retarded' idiomatically to describe what he thought was a dumb (which originally meant 'mute') So, I guess the word retarded is totally out of bounds and offensive?
    You can still use any word that you want to, if you don't care whether or not you offend someone. I just used 'retarded' in another thread. If there are any Sarah Palins reading, feel free to flame me for it.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  10. #810
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
    There is no way nice of saying no matter what term you use nobody wants to be compared to a mentally challenged person.
    Right, and mentally challenged people don't want to be compared to anyone else in an insulting way. So don't do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •