Page 74 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 829

Thread: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

  1. #731
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,764

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually, I did not know about your god child, I managed to miss that. I am sure the child is better off for having you as a godfather..



    i would just like to stop and say, this was a nice thing to say, and I think we all agree....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #732
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Thats just stupid. Geeky girls that end up valedictorian are smart. Palin has never excelled academically at anything. She is more the stupid girl that had a stint in pageants before parleying her looks and penchant for demagoguery into a job that she could not hack, found a cult following, and even with an IQ of the average dishwasher, someone how turned into a lucrative career. I guess you could describe her as an idiot savant if anything.
    Better than an Idiot/Retard, eh? Not that I'm naming names...

  3. #733
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes, I think it makes it less of a slur on gay people. You know me and my attitudes on gays and gay issues. I also don't think we should take everything so personally. If some one complains about a "gay call", it's not to my mind inherently offensive to gays.
    Maybe. But it's not just your call, is it? At least acknowledge the possibility that a gay person would have a good reason for being offended. You can explain this to them if you want, and see if they accept it. But you can't possibly argue that it didn't start as a slur against gays, or that it's never used that way today.

  4. #734
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    i would just like to stop and say, this was a nice thing to say, and I think we all agree....
    Just cuz I don't agree with Zyph does not mean I don't think he is a top notch kinda guy. I cannot help but think any young person who he helps to guide while benefit from the association.

    Ok, I am done sucking up now.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #735
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    i would just like to stop and say, this was a nice thing to say, and I think we all agree....
    Do I get credit too, as a father of a kid with DS?

  6. #736
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,764

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Do I get credit too, as a father of a kid with DS?



    i don't know you well enough. I know redress, I know zyph. I was making an honest observation.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #737
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    i don't know you well enough. I know redress, I know zyph. I was making an honest observation.
    Now you know me a little better.

  8. #738
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Maybe. But it's not just your call, is it? At least acknowledge the possibility that a gay person would have a good reason for being offended. You can explain this to them if you want, and see if they accept it. But you can't possibly argue that it didn't start as a slur against gays, or that it's never used that way today.
    I would argue it's not a good reason. I would also point out, as I have said, that people are responsible for their own emotional reactions. If Rev posts something that pisses me off, it's not his fault I am pissed off, that is my own reaction.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #739
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,764

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Now you know me a little better.



    nope. I don't.


    What's DS?

    Dejerine-Sottas Disease?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #740
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually, I did not know about your god child, I managed to miss that. I am sure the child is better off for having you as a godfather.
    You didn't miss it. I don't talk about it a lot. I'm not big on trying to take my personal life and using it as vindication or some kind of proof for my political views. I just brought it up on this one to kind of put across that what may no longer seem like a slur at all to someone untouched by it may still seem like it to those that are.

    Yes, I think it makes it less of a slur on gay people. You know me and my attitudes on gays and gay issues. I also don't think we should take everything so personally. If some one complains about a "gay call", it's not to my mind inherently offensive to gays. I can choose to take it that way, but I think then the problem is with me if you follow what I mean.
    Exactly, "less", but still a slur.

    And I actually agree with you on the taking everything so personally, as I explained later in that post. I don't have a huge issue with Rham's statement, I have issues with people complaining about Palin's "Hypocrisy" in this issue.

    Obviously I do not know that, but that is in essence my point in a way, which is intent does matter. The word "niggar" is for me a bad one, and I do take it poorly, but at least I admit it is my failing.

    Yes, it makes it less of a racial slur, and potentially not a slur at all in use. Context matters.
    Agree here completely.

    Understood, and I disagree with jackalope in her saying that they are not comparable. I just tend to see the use of the word "niggar" as being kinda the nuclear option, it escalates the discussion to the max level. However, to continue to make my point, as your use of the example shows, context is the key. I don't like the word, I will always find that it makes me queasy in any discussion, but I am responsible for my own emotional reactions.
    I agree it is a "godwin"-esque thing. I probably should've picked differently but the Chris Rock example was just the first that sprang to mind.

    Great minds come together sometimes...

    In your scenario, I would understand why they did not like the use of the word "gay", but if it was not being used to insult gays, I would think they where being foolish and overly PC.
    I agree completely, which was generally my view in regards to Palin.

    I will give you Rush's use, though I bet I could find examples of him using it before this whole situation arose. Not positive, but I bet a could. Further, my objection to Palin's reaction is that it strikes me as trying to score cheap political points by selectively complaining about one person's use of a word that really is not unacceptable in a private meeting. I doubt there are many in Washington who have not called something or some one "retarded". My other objection is that she complained about people being PC, and then was PC.
    I'm sure you can probably find cases of it. I don't disagree with you there. At the same time, if people went back 5 years to find something I still wouldn't expect Palin to react exactly the same to something 5 years ago and what Rham did in the recent memory. It'd still not be a black and white situation some are trying to make it so they can simultaneously trash Rush and Palin.

    And your main objection to her was one of my main ones as well. But, like I tell republican cohorts of mine routinely when they get mad that I'm "taking the other side".....when you make such outrageous and stupidly ludicrous points that must be corrected then you make it more important for me to disagree with your outrageous and stupidly ludicrous points than agree with the more benign one we share common ground on.

    Early in the thread I was relatively negative against Palin. However when this over the top reaction to the Rush thing began it forced my hand to have to ignore Palin, as their actions to me were more obnoxious and stupid than Palin's.

Page 74 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •