Page 26 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 829

Thread: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

  1. #251
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,266

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    And I am doing the same thing to you and you know it. We haven't had a brother/sister spat in a long time and we are way overdue.
    Take it back to West Virginia...


  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Every thing gets out these days, and I have commented repeatedly on my thoughts about that.
    That still does not excuse a public official meeting with public officials in an official capacity working for the public from abandoning all professionalism.

    People, be they republican or democrat, liberal or conservative, should not have to worry about every single thing they say 24 hours a day 365 days a year getting out. I am 100 % consistent on that belief.
    It's not like he said it in his living room. It's not like he said it over lunch with colleagues. It's not like he whispered it at church, or privately to his colleague beside him at a speech. It's not like he said it to his friends while playing a round of golf. It's not like he said it as the punch line to a joke giving a speech at a fundraiser.

    He said this to a bunch of public officials, meeting officially in their capacity as public officers while working for the public whom he serves.

    The use of the word itself is not an issue. His lack of discretion is what has really been undermined here. Not that it took much considering who we're talking about...

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderRabbit08 View Post
    Now we have the right-wing playing the PC card. My, what entertainment this is
    Who is the right wing around here?

  4. #254
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderRabbit08 View Post
    Now we have the right-wing playing the PC card.
    And Emmanuel having to apologize profusely and repeatedly.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  5. #255
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    It was in an official capacity with public officials by a holder of one of the highest public offices.

    And obviously, it wasn't so private that confirmation of his use of that slur didn't get out to everyone in the country.

    My point stands.
    This is the reason I disagree with Redress on this point. In a business setting, there is no reason to swear in this manner. I do think that as an official of one of the highest public offices, he should control himself better.

    I don't like how I worded my response. I do hold people in high public offices to a higher standard. Nevertheless, I just don't think swearing at any meeting when you are acting in your official capacity is appropriate.
    Last edited by aps; 02-03-10 at 02:43 PM.

  6. #256
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Who is the right wing around here?
    Charles Martel.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  7. #257
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 12:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Thats partisanship for the sake of partisanship.

    So he said retarded. Big freakin deal. Its just petty to go after him for that.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  8. #258
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 07:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is no bigotry here. Retarded is a commonly used term to refer to something stupid. He was not being a bigot towards special needs people.
    Yes he was. The only reason it is used to refer to something stupid is because of special needs people! It's just like if he had said "that's so ****ing special needs."

  9. #259
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 12:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Charles Martel.
    And Texmaster
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    This is the reason I disagree with Redress on this point. In a business setting, there is no reason to swear in this manner. I do think that as an official of one of the highest public offices, he should control himself better.
    And that's really what it boils down to and the only reason Palin has a point at all in this. I'm sorry she has a retarded baby and all but that doesn't mean she needs to get squeaky about the word retarded.

    But she does have a legitimate point about the person in question and his failure to uphold the dignity of his office and America's image.

Page 26 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •