Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 829

Thread: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    She is a joke.

    But she happens to be right about this.
    I don't think she's so much right about the word itself as she is the time and place it was used.

  2. #182
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    The insult version of the term isn't really using that definition though. I think you understand that. Nobody thinks of a dictionary when they use the word. If people hadn't been labeled "retarded" nobody would be using it as an insult. Rahm wouldn't have said "their proposal is slow or backward."



    But it's not, because nobody is officially diagnosed as an idiot anymore. Mentally retarded is still very much an official term, though that is changing. And few people remember that idiot was an official term that meant what mentally retarded means now. They know very well who retarded refers to.

    (BTW thanks for not being an asshole about it like so many other people).
    That's an interesting comment you made. Hmmmm. If I heard my son (or some other family member) being diagnosed with "mental retardation," would I find the word "retard" more offensive as a result? I might.

    As an aside, I think Rahm sounded like an asshole in using the terms he did. Come on. You work in the White House. Show some effing class and don't use profanity and yell and scream. I was disappointed when Obama picked him as his COS.
    Last edited by aps; 02-03-10 at 01:43 PM.

  3. #183
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I don't think she's so much right about the word itself as she is the time and place it was used.
    When is it acceptable?

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    When is it acceptable?
    Probably the same times that blond jokes are acceptable. Or homo jokes (I love homo jokes). Or Polack jokes.

    Anyone who says they have never enjoyed an off color joke among friends or private company is lying through their teeth as badly as a teenage boy who claims he never masturbates.

  5. #185
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    That's an interesting comment you made. Hmmmm. If I heard my son (or some other family member) being diagnosed with "mental retardation," would I find the word "retard" more offensive as a result? I might.
    Well, yeah, I think that's a pretty good bet that you would.

    I do hear alot of people saying they think the word is fine because it's not an official term anymore. They're wrong, it still is, though it's changing. Even so, the reason it is being abandoned is because it is used as an insult! It is still very much linked to the people it refers to. It will take a generation or so to forget that. In the meantime, people will (and already are) using the new term as an insult. "Hey, are you mentally challenged or something?" Etc. Where does it end?

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    In general, people who get offended over politicians using poorly chosen words (especially behind closed doors) are ****ing retarded.
    The REAL issue is that the Democrats expect to be able to use any slur they want, any time (Byrd calls people "nigger" on national TV.) and then they demand censure of anyone that praised Strom Thurmond using basic non-offensive words in the English language.

    Anytime those hypocrites can be shown for what they are, is a good time.

  7. #187
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Probably the same times that blond jokes are acceptable. Or homo jokes (I love homo jokes). Or Polack jokes.
    Yes, probably the same times those are acceptable, yes. Perhaps you should go tell a few and see how that works out too.

    Anyone who says they have never enjoyed an off color joke among friends or private company is lying through their teeth as badly as a teenage boy who claims he never masturbates.
    Not all jokes are the same. You make any dead Haitian jokes lately too?

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Yes, probably the same times those are acceptable, yes. Perhaps you should go tell a few and see how that works out too.
    Usually quite a few laughs. Are you saying you haven't enjoyed some off colored humor at some group's expense when among friends?

    Not all jokes are the same. You make any dead Haitian jokes lately too?
    Too soon. Give it about another week or two. I won't disappoint.

  9. #189
    Advisor gopman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-04-16 @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    556

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    If McCain had said it, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Liberals are the only ones hypocritical enough to try to defend this.

    It's not appropriate for anyone to use the term "retard" as an insult. Particularly not the White House Chief of Staff. Could you imagine the Queen of England saying anything like this? Emanuel is an embarrassment to the country.
    If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand.
    - Milton Friedman

  10. #190
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The REAL issue is that the Democrats expect to be able to use any slur they want, any time (Byrd calls people "nigger" on national TV.) and then they demand censure of anyone that praised Strom Thurmond using basic non-offensive words in the English language.

    Anytime those hypocrites can be shown for what they are, is a good time.
    you, as usual, nailed it

    i avoid going where your argument goes because it's controversial, that is, it's gonna stoke heat and argument

    if, instead, you simply say, rahm has no class---no one can argue that

    analogous is an attempt to show that obama's policies are WRONG for this country, that they will lead to failure, that his extremist leftism doesn't make sense in practice, in the real world

    if you go there, you're gonna get endless arguments and, after 100 posts or so, you'll probably come out on top

    but if, in contrast, you simply assert THIS PRESIDENT IS TOTALLY INCOMPETENT, HE's A LOSER---there, you get very little argument

    it's a question of efficacy, tactics

    rahm has no class, i'd expect more from an 8th grade boy than the most incompetent president in american history's chief of staff daily demonstrates

    the president once joked, when rahm's middle finger was severed in that deli accident a long time ago, the hard charging chief of staff was robbed of half his vocabulary

Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •