Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 172

Thread: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Yet even if Congress opens up the 574 million acres now off limits along the outer continental shelf, tight supplies of equipment and labor will severely constrain exploration in the next decade.
    Well....guess what that is called?

    It's called friggin' GROWTH!

  2. #152
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Well....guess what that is called?

    It's called friggin' GROWTH!
    Hey.... can't be having any of that.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  3. #153
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

    [QUOTE=USA-1;1058526575]Yet even if Congress opens up the 574 million acres now off limits along the outer continental shelf, tight supplies of equipment and labor will severely constrain exploration in the next decade. Only a limited number of shipyards are capable of building the necessary $700 million drilling rig, and many of the rigs being built today are going to Brazil, West Africa, and Southeast Asia, where the oil business is also booming. Even then, it usually takes at least seven to 10 years for the oil to start flowing



    Thought you said domestic drilling slowed because there was no demand.

    Equipment and labor shortages are a good thing. Ya know that, right?

    You Liberals come up with the silliest excuses not to drill for oil. Beats all I ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    what would you want the amendment to say
    I don't know, exactly. It would have to enumerate the authority to maintain a nuclear infrastructure or an energy infrastructure. Not sure what the specific wording would entail, but I don't suspect it would be too difficult to pass. But this is my ideal, so...

  5. #155
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    and it will still take an overnight charge to "gas up"....
    The Model S has a "quick charge" feature that will refill 80% of the battery (enough to travel another 240 miles) in just 45 minutes. The technology is moving ahead by leaps and bounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    I can buy a used gas-hog SUV for less than $10,000, and the $47,000 price differential, plus the $4,700 tax differential, plus the insurance differential, will buy one HELL of a lot of gasoline, enough so I'm discarding the vehicle before I spend as much money as the cost of one of those battery operated toys you're touting.
    And as the evidence has shown, technology never gets better or cheaper over time.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    I will stick to the harley engine.

    My computer cost $1500 and is all in the moniter.
    That's sort of the point.

    You saying "I'll stick to the harley engine" even in the face of technological advances is like someone saying "I'll stick to my commodore 64, those 'laptops' sound like a load of bull pucky."

    I'm perplexed as to why people are so up in arms about technological progress.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The Model S has a "quick charge" feature that will refill 80% of the battery (enough to travel another 240 miles) in just 45 minutes. The technology is moving ahead by leaps and bounds.
    How much damage does that do to the battery and how many hours of life does it burn off?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    And as the evidence has shown, technology never gets better or cheaper over time.
    As my quote showed, current and projected battery technology does not improve over my ancient V-8 gas hog.

    Fertilizer now comes packaged in new shiny polyethylene bags, but it's the same old **** on the inside. They've been working electric-only cars for decades, and still haven't come up with anything to beat the old fashioned internal combustion engine in dollars per mile,


    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I'm perplexed as to why people are so up in arms about technological progress.
    It has to be progress in the right direction. And....the US government wasn't subsidizing Atari's version of the PC...it was investors taking risks with their own money, not the government strongarming the cash out of the hands of the people who earned it.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 02-01-10 at 10:06 PM.

  7. #157
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    How much damage does that do to the battery and how many hours of life does it burn off?
    What makes you think it would do that?

    As my quote showed, current and projected battery technology does not improve over my ancient V-8 gas hog.
    Saying "XYZ" does not prove "XYZ." The fact that you don't think the technology will improve has no bearing on whether it will actually improve.

    Fertilizer now comes packaged in new shiny polyethylene bags, but it's the same old **** on the inside. They've been working electric-only cars for decades, and still haven't come up with anything to beat the old fashioned internal combustion engine in dollars per mile,
    In what sense? In the sense that ****ty used SUVs are cheaper to buy up front than brand new luxury sports cars? Yea, you win that battle. In terms of fuel efficiency? Tesla kills every other car on the market. In terms of energy efficiency? Kills every other car on the market.

    It costs 1 to 2 cents per mile to power the car as compared to 20-30 cents per mile to power the average SUV.

    It has to be progress in the right direction. And....the US government wasn't subsidizing Atari's version of the PC...it was investors taking risks with their own money, not the government strongarming the cash out of the hands of the people who earned it.
    If I remember correctly, the government was pretty heavily involved in the development of the internet. I'd say that turned out well, wouldn't you?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    What makes you think it would do that?
    Because short-charging batteries damages them, if done repeatedly.

    The word you're looking for is "entropy".

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Saying "XYZ" does not prove "XYZ." The fact that you don't think the technology will improve has no bearing on whether it will actually improve.
    No, of course not. I'm just an engineer, is all, and the technology hasn't improved to the point of commercial viability yet, so who am I to say that it might get better if they spend another century working on the matter, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    In what sense? In the sense that ****ty used SUVs are cheaper to buy up front than brand new luxury sports cars? Yea, you win that battle. In terms of fuel efficiency? Tesla kills every other car on the market. In terms of energy efficiency? Kills every other car on the market.
    In the terms of my original comment on the matter....that I can haul my fat ass around in an old car cheaper than I could by buying some electric crap to satisfy the smug ignorance of some liberal elitist.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    It costs 1 to 2 cents per mile to power the car as compared to 20-30 cents per mile to power the average SUV.
    Spread out over $51,700 that's a lot of miles.

    And we haven't even discussed the disposal costs of that there new-fangled poisonous friggin' battery.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    If I remember correctly, the government was pretty heavily involved in the development of the internet. I'd say that turned out well, wouldn't you?
    Yes, as soon as the government got the **** out of the way, the Internet took off.

    Do you really think that battery technology is going to soar if the government drops it?

    Oh, wait, you were trying to pretend that the government did something right. That was pretty foolish of you, don't ya think? The only thing a government is good for is the threat of force and the application thereof in war situations.

    And fifty percent of governments engaged in war lose.

  9. #159
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Because short-charging batteries damages them, if done repeatedly.

    The word you're looking for is "entropy".
    And as discussed ad nauseum, you obviously know more about this particular technology than the engineers who designed it. For some reason, I doubt they'd be promoting that practice if they thought it would materially harm the battery.

    No, of course not. I'm just an engineer, is all, and the technology hasn't improved to the point of commercial viability yet, so who am I to say that it might get better if they spend another century working on the matter, right?
    It's not at the point of commercial viability? Tell that to the people who are already driving the cars out on the road, or to the people who will be investing in Tesla's upcoming $100m IPO.

    Or hell, tell it to the people who are operating the multitude of battery-powered buses and vehicles already in use around the world.

    In the terms of my original comment on the matter....that I can haul my fat ass around in an old car cheaper than I could by buying some electric crap to satisfy the smug ignorance of some liberal elitist.
    So don't buy it. You're acting as if anyone gives a **** about what you drive, while repeatedly ignoring the fact that nobody is claiming its necessarily a good investment for everyone at this point.



    And we haven't even discussed the disposal costs of that there new-fangled poisonous friggin' battery.
    As opposed to the externalized costs from the burning of fossil fuels?

    Yes, as soon as the government got the **** out of the way, the Internet took off.

    Do you really think that battery technology is going to soar if the government drops it?
    So your argument is that without government investment, battery technology will forever remain frozen in time?

    Oh, wait, you were trying to pretend that the government did something right. That was pretty foolish of you, don't ya think? The only thing a government is good for is the threat of force and the application thereof in war situations.
    Again, your nonsensical fringe ideas about government and its role have nothing to do with the technology and its uses.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #160
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Obama Said to Seek $54 Billion in Nuclear-Power Loans

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    I will stick to the harley engine.

    My computer cost $1500 and is all in the moniter.
    Man did you get ripped off. j/k
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •