Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 105

Thread: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

  1. #91
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Nice. By ending Constellation, he's depriving us of any ability to send people into space at all after the Shuttle is retired this year. So, only Russia and China will be truly spacefaring nations.

    And it's great timing, announcing this in the anniversary week of the three most tragic NASA accidents.
    Cool --let them spend the bucks on exploration, and then just sell us what they find for cheap, like they do everything else. what's the problem with that?
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  2. #92
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    There's no savings. What is so difficult to understand about that? None. No savings. He's just spending the money on something else. And increasing it obscenely on lots of other stuff.

    How many ways does it need to be shown to you?




    Why we should keep the Moon mission?

    Oh, no, there are lots of other reasons, too. Strategic reasons. Military reasons. Non-private technological reasons. The general advancement of mankind. All sorts of things.
    One of my favorite reasons to go to the Moon would be Solar power Satellites... all the materials to build them is there, all the power to build them is there, and once you have built the components there, it's 6 times easier to launch them into an Earth orbit.

    But Barry wants to waste that money on his GW religion... who is really surprised?
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  3. #93
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,500

    Re: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
    Apparently you don't understand how Obama's policy is a saved $11 Billion. And that's just the estimation, NASA would very likely go over-budget on a manned Moon mission. Even when Obama increases the NASA budget for climate change, it won't be as much as he would have to for a manned mission!

    That extra 11 billion over 5 years is an estimate for one guy's conception of entire manned program, not just a Moon mission. And it wouldn't have to be extra; it would just have be more -- if at ALL -- from within the NASA budget.

    You are way out of your depth here, yapping about things about which you haven't the faintest clue. I suggest you read up on the history of NASA, what it's historically done, how it's been funded, and what exactly is all entailed in these budget proposals.

    Or, just continue on with your fantasies about the costs of designing new Shuttle orbiters, etc. Whatever props up your preferred mental construct of the thing, I guess.


    You even admitted that $11 billion would be more than Obama is spending now. And yet now you go back and say there aren't savings, and you call me a fool? Yeesh.
    No, I said IF they actually spent that much more, above-budget -- which they wouldn't have to -- it would be pennies. If you do not understand the difference, I can't help you any further than that.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #94
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,026

    Re: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Nice. By ending Constellation, he's depriving us of any ability to send people into space at all after the Shuttle is retired this year. So, only Russia and China will be truly spacefaring nations.

    And it's great timing, announcing this in the anniversary week of the three most tragic NASA accidents.
    As a strong proponent of space exploration manned missions are a terrible waste of money not to mention how dangerous they are. Unmanned missions offer a bigger bang for your buck. We can go to more places and farther and concentrate more on collecting data vs. creating expensive live support systems.

    Why go to a ball game you've already been to that might kill you vs. watching it remotely from all angles on a big screen along with lots of other ballgames.
    Last edited by EnigmaO01; 01-30-10 at 11:50 PM.

  5. #95
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    One of my favorite reasons to go to the Moon would be Solar power Satellites... all the materials to build them is there, all the power to build them is there, and once you have built the components there, it's 6 times easier to launch them into an Earth orbit.

    But Barry wants to waste that money on his GW religion... who is really surprised?
    the Moon is a much more hostile environment, than living on the bottom of the ocean, but with no fish.---How may satellites do we need anyhow?
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  6. #96
    Comrade from Canuckistan! AgentM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    British Columbia
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    995

    Re: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    As a strong proponent of space exploration manned missions are a terrible waste of money not to mention how dangerous they are. Unmanned missions offer a bigger bang for your buck. We can go to more places and farther and concentrate more on collecting data vs. creating expensive live support systems.

    Why go to a ball game you've already been to that might kill you vs. watching it remotely from all angles on a big screen along with lots of other ballgames.
    I totally agree, robots are much more cost effective. A manned Moon mission would be mostly symbolic.
    "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. I say enjoy the show, don't take it seriously." - George Carlin

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    Cool --let them spend the bucks on exploration, and then just sell us what they find for cheap, like they do everything else. what's the problem with that?
    Because I don't want my nation to end up like any of the ****hole nations in Europe.

  8. #98
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,500

    Re: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Why go to a ball game you've already been to that might kill you vs. watching it remotely from all angles on a big screen along with lots of other ballgames.
    Ask any ball player.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    As a strong proponent of space exploration manned missions are a terrible waste of money not to mention how dangerous they are. Unmanned missions offer a bigger bang for your buck. We can go to more places and farther and concentrate more on collecting data vs. creating expensive live support systems.

    Why go to a ball game you've already been to that might kill you vs. watching it remotely from all angles on a big screen along with lots of other ballgames.
    If we're not sending MEN there, WE aren't going there.

    There's a huge difference between watching Niagara Falls on NatGEO and being there on the Maid of the Mist. Humans on the spot see things the cameras don't.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama to End NASA Constellation Program

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
    I totally agree, robots are much more cost effective. A manned Moon mission would be mostly symbolic.
    Apollo was mostly symbolic.

    A sensible program intended to establish a permanent human presence would establish a permanent human presence.

    Ain't nothing symbolic about building a waste treatment/recovery plant.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •