Page 40 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 1038

Thread: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

  1. #391
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

    Quote Originally Posted by 70s_guy View Post
    The most recent Military Times survey reported 58% of military respondents oppose a DADT policy change, and that was strong enough an issue that 10 percent said they would leave the military while 14% would consider terminating their careers after serving. Although it is true that a modest percentage of mainly younger generation soldiers might be able to serve without issue beside gays, it is also obvious that it would cause frictions with those significant numbers of others that would predictably cause distractions and lack of cohesion. Especially during this war time.

    As long as homosexuals keep their sexual preferences secret, there are cannot be problems else it would not be secret. If homosexuals are allowed to be open without restrictions, morale problems will be certain to arise with a significant number of other soldiers. Soldiers often share very close quarters that are certain to make some other soldiers uncomfortable by invading their sexual privacy. If females and males dressed, showered, berthed, roomed together one could predict similar problems would be certain to occur. The solution may be to allow homosexuals in the military but never in situations where they cannot be isolated in the same way heterosexual females and males are currently isolated. Thus dressing/showering/berthing/room sharing etc would need to be separated into four areas.

    Additionally Don't Ask Don't Tell protects gays by keeping their sexual orientation secret from other servicemen, some of which otherwise predictably would act negatively against them. Further if gays are allowed to act naturally gay-like, that is certain to provoke some into violence. As I have related earlier, it is not merely a matter of re-educating such tendencies via gay sensitivity training because for many in heterosexual dominant American culture, homosexuality is considered a serious taboo and unacceptable behavior. Something mere political legislation or court directives cannot and will not change. Simply a fact. Christian religions will always be allowed those historic moral opinions that cannot be legislated or court ordered otherwise.
    Really.

    Nice use of a methodologically suspect poll.

    Military Times Poll Flawed | Palm Center

    Care to explain why this is not the major issue you are making it out to be in the 24 other nations which allow gays and lesbians to openly serve?
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 01-30-10 at 10:20 PM.

  2. #392
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Prove me wrong. If you look at my threads, you will see that I argue both sides of an issue vehemently until I come to a conclusion that the evidence and reason stands firmly on one side. You simply can't present a valid argument, so you are running. Get on with it and scram.
    I've already presented a valid argument. You simply refuse to view it objectively.

    I spent four years in the Marine Corps infantry. It's a small gun-club, so I know it very intimately. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that gays serving openly would cause friction and volatility because there is a substantial amount of homophobia in the infantry. You think I'm lying or something, or you just don't care?

  3. #393
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I've already presented a valid argument. You simply refuse to view it objectively.

    I spent four years in the Marine Corps infantry. It's a small gun-club, so I know it very intimately. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that gays serving openly would cause friction and volatility because there is a substantial amount of homophobia in the infantry. You think I'm lying or something, or you just don't care?
    You base your entire argument on a personal assumption. That is not objectivity and I find it hilarious that you expect people to consider your subjective opinion to be anything but subjective. But assuming you were right, then its clear that our military has a serious flaw in its professionalism that needs to be amended first with the end of this policy.

    Most people are comfortable around gays, and considerably more polls than the one 70's guy presented indicates that much. Not that I think opinion polls should be used to dictate matters of national security.

    The fact of the matter is you have no objective argument for keeping this policy, and so you are going to attack other people's objectivity to make up for it.

  4. #394
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I've already presented a valid argument. You simply refuse to view it objectively.

    I spent four years in the Marine Corps infantry. It's a small gun-club, so I know it very intimately. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that gays serving openly would cause friction and volatility because there is a substantial amount of homophobia in the infantry. You think I'm lying or something, or you just don't care?
    I think you are correct with a lot you say here. I have no idea what the solution is.

    There would be resistance to having openly gay soldiers next to many. That is just the way it is, not right but that is the truth.

    Just like there is not suppose to be racism in the military. It has been 40 yrs since I was in but I bet most chow halls the blacks sit on one side and the whites sit on the other.

  5. #395
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Just like there is not suppose to be racism in the military. It has been 40 yrs since I was in but I bet most chow halls the blacks sit on one side and the whites sit on the other.

    Unlike what I saw in high school, I never saw this in the marines. Cliques formed by billet, or time in service, or rank, or several other factors, I never saw race as a factor... especially not in country- it all turned to squad and fireteam cohesion, as it should. I'm also sure much has changed in 40 years though.
    Last edited by other; 01-30-10 at 10:37 PM.

  6. #396
    Educator Winnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-22-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    822

    Re: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I've already presented a valid argument. You simply refuse to view it objectively.

    I spent four years in the Marine Corps infantry. It's a small gun-club, so I know it very intimately. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that gays serving openly would cause friction and volatility because there is a substantial amount of homophobia in the infantry. You think I'm lying or something, or you just don't care?
    You made that point earlier when you and I were discussing this. And again I'd like to say I appreciate you just coming right out and saying it. "Homophobia" There it is. The 500 Pound gorilla of DADT.

    I strongly dislike the fact that homophobia is an issue that is keeping DADT as an active policy in our military, but at least I can see your point. And at least it's an honest one.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

    -------------------------------------------------

  7. #397
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You base your entire argument on a personal assumption.
    No, I base my entire argument on four years of firsthand experience in the Marine Corps infantry. An assumption would imply that I was speaking from ignorance. Are you saying I'm ignorant of the Marine infantry?

    That is not objectivity and I find it hilarious that you expect people to consider your subjective opinion to be anything but subjective.
    Stop using words you do not understand. I'm not offering a "subjective opinion" - I'm telling you what I experienced firsthand. So, unless you want to call me a liar, you really haven't a leg to stand on.

    But assuming you were right, then its clear that our military has a serious flaw in its professionalism that needs to be amended first with the end of this policy.
    See. I knew it. You don't care about military efficiency or this country's security. You're just obsessed with an agenda - consequences be damned.

    Most people are comfortable around gays...
    Grunts aren't "most people". In fact, a lot of them are pretty nuts.

    ...and considerably more polls than the one 70's guy presented indicates that much. Not that I think opinion polls should be used to dictate matters of national security.
    You don't give a **** about national security. You're just a partisan slut.

    The fact of the matter is you have no objective argument for keeping this policy, and so you are going to attack other people's objectivity to make up for it.
    So, I wasn't in the Marine Corps infantry for four years and am not in a position to speak intelligently about its composition? Or is it that you just don't like it when someone presents facts that undermine your precious agenda?

  8. #398
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

    I simply don't see how homophobia is any greater a justification for keeping gays out of the military than sexism was for keeping women out or racism was for keeping African Americans out. If it has presented any major problem to the 24 other countries that had allowed gays to openly serve, then I might be more concerned, but it seems to me that this is simply a bunch of people saying to let their prejudices and biases dictate the terms of national security and uniform conduct.

  9. #399
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    You made that point earlier when you and I were discussing this. And again I'd like to say I appreciate you just coming right out and saying it. "Homophobia" There it is. The 500 Pound gorilla of DADT.

    I strongly dislike the fact that homophobia is an issue that is keeping DADT as an active policy in our military, but at least I can see your point. And at least it's an honest one.
    No, you don't understand. I have no valid points, and my entire argument is nothing more than a "subjective opinion". You see, I had my eyes closed and my ears plugged the entire time I was in the military. I don't possess the expertise and knowledge that "Critical" Thought does...

  10. #400
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    No, I base my entire argument on four years of firsthand experience in the Marine Corps infantry. An assumption would imply that I was speaking from ignorance. Are you saying I'm ignorant of the Marine infantry?
    I presented a video of a guy with over a decade of experience disagreeing with you. Frankly, the problem with personal experience, is it can differ from person to person. That is why personal experience is not considered objective.

    Stop using words you do not understand. I'm not offering a "subjective opinion" - I'm telling you what I experienced firsthand. So, unless you want to call me a liar, you really haven't a leg to stand on.
    So what makes your experience so much more valid that the guy who I presented in that video?

    See. I knew it. You don't care about military efficiency or this country's security. You're just obsessed with an agenda - consequences be damned.
    To the contrary, I don't think prejudice and bias should dictate the terms of national security.

    Grunts aren't "most people". In fact, a lot of them are pretty nuts.
    Good to know.

    So, I wasn't in the Marine Corps infantry for four years and am not in a position to speak intelligently about its composition? Or is it that you just don't like it when someone presents facts that undermine your precious agenda?
    The fact that you have to use the word "agenda" when referring to a gay issue, kinda dispels any illusion that you are anything but partisan on this issue.

Page 40 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •