Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 156

Thread: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

  1. #51
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Did they have electronic surveillance devices on their person that would enable them to actually tap a phone? If not, then the government's ability to prove intent is going to seriously hampered.

    Actually, this is the only crime that's been committed:



    If the government can't prove intent, then O'Keefe is going to allowed to walk with probation, at the most.
    O'Keefe has already admitted intent.

    The Federal Bureau of Investigation said Mr. O'Keefe, who had traveled to New Orleans and delivered a speech Thursday, admitted to helping plan and coordinate the scheme. --WaPo

  2. #52
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    O'Keefe has already admitted intent.
    The only thing O'Keefe admitted to was going into Landreau's office dressed a telephone repairman. I haven't seen anywhere that he admitted to trying to tamper with the phone system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #53
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    I'd love to hear some of these scenarios in which a couple of people dress up and pretend to be something they're not, to do work they were neither asked nor authorized to do, in a place they don't belong, and it's all just a "mistake" on their part because they believed it was completely legal and above board.

    *They were trying to show how easy it would be for someone with malicious intent to gain access to a Senator's telephone system, but had no intent to actually do anything harmful while they were there.

    *They were going to try to use that access to make a call to another politician's office (so it would show up as being from Landreiu) and try to get that politician to admit that the special LA funding was some sort of corrupt political deal.

    Both of those situations are probably still crimes, but my point is and was that I can see how they might not have perceived them as such or might have considered them to be part of a grey area. I'm not saying that either is what happened or that either is likely, I'm simply waiting for more facts given that we know literally nothing about what they were doing in there beyond the barebones 4 page affidavit.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's going to fun watching the DoJ try to prove that a crime was actually committed here.
    They've almost certainly got the entering under false pretenses thing proven facially, but I doubt they'd bring charges on that alone, as it's usually part of a lesser-included.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #54
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The only thing O'Keefe admitted to was going into Landreau's office dressed a telephone repairman. I haven't seen anywhere that he admitted to trying to tamper with the phone system.
    He hasn't been charged with trying to tamper with the phone system. He's been charged with entering a federal building under false pretenses. Which he admits to.

  5. #55
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    He hasn't been charged with trying to tamper with the phone system. He's been charged with entering a federal building under false pretenses. Which he admits to.
    Yes, he has been charged with trying to tamper with the phone. Read the article. It even says it in the title.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    They've almost certainly got the entering under false pretenses thing proven facially, but I doubt they'd bring charges on that alone, as it's usually part of a lesser-included.
    That's how I was guessing it would play out. I'll bet their lawyer will make this look like payback for what O'Keefe did to ACORN and the government will drop the charges.
    Last edited by apdst; 01-27-10 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Sentence wise their looking at Up to $250,000 in fines and up to 10 years in a federal prison. And more, if the wire taping charges stick.


    Apdst, So your will to let criminals go, because of Acorn? I very much doubt they will drop charges unless they find evidence he was not their to wire tap which is not the case here.
    Last edited by RyrineaHaruno; 01-27-10 at 02:46 PM.

  7. #57
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The only thing O'Keefe admitted to was going into Landreau's office dressed a telephone repairman. I haven't seen anywhere that he admitted to trying to tamper with the phone system.
    If he conspired with the other people, it doesn't matter whether he himself tried to do anything - they're all guilty of everything that any of them did.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's how I was guessing it would play out. I'll bet their lawyer will make this look like payback for what O'Keefe did to ACORN and the government will drop the charges.
    I very much doubt that will happen. Unless there is some substantially mitigating evidence that comes out, he's probably going to get a substantial punishment up to or including jail.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #58
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    If he conspired with the other people, it doesn't matter whether he himself tried to do anything - they're all guilty of everything that any of them did.
    Understood, but my original point still stands.



    I very much doubt that will happen. Unless there is some substantially mitigating evidence that comes out, he's probably going to get a substantial punishment up to or including jail.
    Substantial punishment, I agree, but I'm betting that they've done all the jail time they're going to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #59
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    *They were trying to show how easy it would be for someone with malicious intent to gain access to a Senator's telephone system, but had no intent to actually do anything harmful while they were there.

    *They were going to try to use that access to make a call to another politician's office (so it would show up as being from Landreiu) and try to get that politician to admit that the special LA funding was some sort of corrupt political deal.

    Both of those situations are probably still crimes, but my point is and was that I can see how they might not have perceived them as such or might have considered them to be part of a grey area. I'm not saying that either is what happened or that either is likely, I'm simply waiting for more facts given that we know literally nothing about what they were doing in there beyond the barebones 4 page affidavit.

    They've almost certainly got the entering under false pretenses thing proven facially, but I doubt they'd bring charges on that alone, as it's usually part of a lesser-included.
    This sounds like the Steve Martin defense to me.

    You can be a millionaire and never pay taxes! You say.. "Steve.. how can I be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes?" First.. get a million dollars.

    Now, you say, "Steve, what do I say to the tax man when he comes to my door and says, 'You have never paid taxes'?" Two simple words. Two simple words in the English language: "I forgot!"

    How many times do we let ourselves get into terrible situations because we don't say "I forgot"? Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, "I forgot armed robbery was illegal." Let's suppose he says back to you, "You have committed a foul crime. you have stolen hundreds and thousands of dollars from people at random, and you say, 'I forgot'?" Two simple words: Excuuuuuse me!!"

  10. #60
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post


    Apdst, So your will to let criminals go, because of Acorn? I very much doubt they will drop charges unless they find evidence he was not their to wire tap which is not the case here.
    ...Well, here in the real world that isn't how the process works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •