Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 156

Thread: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

  1. #111
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: James OíKeefe arrested by FBI

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    ...Well, here in the real world that isn't how the process works.
    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Providing they don’t mind hiring an excon.
    dont ollie north and g gordon liddy get plenty of airtime on their network? I think the problem could run deeper. The senator sits on the homeland security committee.
    Last edited by PogueMoran; 01-28-10 at 10:51 AM.

  2. #112
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Patterico's Pontifications Law Enforcement Official: No Wiretap Attempt by OíKeefe

    Law Enforcement Official: No Wiretap Attempt by OíKeefe


    Wow.

    I guess we'll find out more soon, but that seems like a pretty plausible explanation to me. As noted by Josh Marshall yesterday, there was a huge part of this that didn't make sense:



    If they were actually there to wiretap the phones, it would make no sense for them to be videotaping this. However, if they were there to try to prove that the phones had never been jammed, or for one of the other reasons mentioned above, then it would make much more sense.
    This "defense" sounds like a guy who claims he's writing a book about pedophilia after being caught downloading child porn and hanging out in teen chat rooms.

    "I was just doing some investigative journalism."

  3. #113
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    This "defense" sounds like a guy who claims he's writing a book about pedophilia after being caught downloading child porn and hanging out in teen chat rooms.

    "I was just doing some investigative journalism."
    Except it's the government's own theory that there was no attempt or intent to wiretap the phones at all.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #114
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Except it's the government's own theory that there was no attempt or intent to wiretap the phones at all.
    What I have read is that the government gives this to be the initial charges, and that more charges could come. I have also read that the fourth guy they caught had audio recording equipment in his truck. I have also read that 2 of those who were caught have admitted that they were there to wiretap. On the other hand, I have read that this was nothing more than an attempt to manipulate the phones so they could do a funny documentary on them.

    So, with all of what I have read, what have I learned? Nothing. LOL. Even if it turns out to be just tampering with phones, though, that itself is a felony that comes with a sentence of up to 10 years in the pen.

    The bottom line? Nothing is as it seems at first glance. We the public are still pretty much in the dark, despite all the information we have read and heard, which is conflicting.

    A bit of trivia for "Nothing is as it seems": There is a theory still making the rounds that Watergate was not the bugging of the Democratic headquarters, but that they were attempting to remove the bugs because of the Plamondon Supreme Court decision just a few days earlier, which ruled that planting bugs was seriously illegal. You can read more about Pun Plamondon here and more about the case here.They are very entertaining reads.
    Last edited by danarhea; 01-28-10 at 02:30 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #115
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Except it's the government's own theory that there was no attempt or intent to wiretap the phones at all.
    What you have is an anon law enforcement official saying that it wasnt. Nothing actually on the record. The law enforcemnt official could mean anything from FBI to local cop to the kid's father who is the US attorney. Until we know more not much could be ruled in or out. However breitbart should be careful as he could be implicated. O'Keafe was on his payroll.

  6. #116
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    What you have is an anon law enforcement official saying that it wasnt. Nothing actually on the record. The law enforcemnt official could mean anything from FBI to local cop to the kid's father who is the US attorney. Until we know more not much could be ruled in or out. However breitbart should be careful as he could be implicated. O'Keafe was on his payroll.
    Brietbard denies knowledge of what O'Keefe was doing. I think it is safe to say that he won't be implicated.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #117
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Point out where I defended what this guy did. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's going to fun watching the DoJ try to prove that a crime was actually committed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Did they have electronic surveillance devices on their person that would enable them to actually tap a phone? If not, then the government's ability to prove intent is going to seriously hampered.

    Actually, this is the only crime that's been committed:

    If the government can't prove intent, then O'Keefe is going to allowed to walk with probation, at the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The only thing O'Keefe admitted to was going into Landreau's office dressed a telephone repairman. I haven't seen anywhere that he admitted to trying to tamper with the phone system.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, taping isn't a crime.

    They didn't tap the phones. Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Only if it's done without someone's knowledge. Other than that, it's called, free speech.
    You are welcome.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #118
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Point out where I defended what this guy did. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's going to fun watching the DoJ try to prove that a crime was actually committed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Did they have electronic surveillance devices on their person that would enable them to actually tap a phone? If not, then the government's ability to prove intent is going to seriously hampered.

    Actually, this is the only crime that's been committed:

    If the government can't prove intent, then O'Keefe is going to allowed to walk with probation, at the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The only thing O'Keefe admitted to was going into Landreau's office dressed a telephone repairman. I haven't seen anywhere that he admitted to trying to tamper with the phone system.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, taping isn't a crime.

    They didn't tap the phones. Get over it.
    You are more than welcome.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #119
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    On the other hand, I have read that this was nothing more than an attempt to manipulate the phones so they could do a funny documentary on them.
    These guys aren't in the comedy business dana.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #120
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Activist filmmaker arrested in senatorís office

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You are more than welcome.
    Not defending him, just calling it like I see it. Surely a law and order Liberal like yourself doesn't want to see a citizen's rights violated and be wrongfully convicted of a crime he didn't commit. Or, is this different?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •