Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 98

Thread: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

  1. #51
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Isn't the Toyota problem with the gas pedal getting stuck in the carpet or floormat?
    I -believe- that was their initial diagnosis, which was then put aside when it happened to a car that had its floor mats in the trunk.

  2. #52
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I -believe- that was their initial diagnosis, which was then put aside when it happened to a car that had its floor mats in the trunk.
    Toyota recall: 2.3 million more cars to fix gas pedals - Jan. 21, 2010

    Yeah, you are right. Now it looks like a mechanical problem when the parts get worn.


    Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position," Toyota USA group vice president Irv Miller said in a statement.

    The situation is rare, according to Toyota, but can occur when accelerator pedal mechanisms become worn. The problem will usually develop gradually, Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said. The pedal may become harder to press and may become slower to return when released. In the worst cases, it may become stuck in a partially depressed position.

  3. #53
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position," Toyota USA group vice president Irv Miller said in a statement.

    The situation is rare, according to Toyota, but can occur when accelerator pedal mechanisms become worn. The problem will usually develop gradually, Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said. The pedal may become harder to press and may become slower to return when released. In the worst cases, it may become stuck in a partially depressed position.
    Simply amazing.

  4. #54
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
    At least they're being responsible about the whole thing!
    Only because the portential loss from lawsuits exceeds the profit from not doing anything.

  5. #55
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    so much for that quality thingy, huh?
    Yes, Toyota is the only auto company ever to have to do a recall or have safety issues....

    Do people ever think before posting?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #56
    Comrade from Canuckistan! AgentM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    British Columbia
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    995

    Re: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    Well, common sense tells you when you have a vehicle with a high ground clearance, that will happen. Oh wait. We're dealing with the idiot generation that has no common sense. Common sense has to be put in the instruction manual under Duh.
    Well people expect them to have been rigorously tested and such by the relevant authorities. Vehicles are supposed to be safe to drive.
    "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. I say enjoy the show, don't take it seriously." - George Carlin

  7. #57
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    It's a design problem.
    Yea but people seem to be getting some kind of last hurrah with trashing Toyota.
    Lets face it the Japanese design way better cars.

    To expect perfection is a bit weak in my opinion.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #58
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Yea but people seem to be getting some kind of last hurrah with trashing Toyota.
    Lets face it the Japanese design way better cars.

    To expect perfection is a bit weak in my opinion.
    I think some of it is a holdover from the 70's and 80's, when Japanese cars really where Japanese. Now, Japanese cars are more American made and big 3 cars.

    Also, it's not just design, it's quality standards. GM specs compared to Toyota specs are a world difference in the parts we make where I work, and despite our closer watch to fit standards, we still get about 5 times the rejections from Toyota as we do GM and Chrysler. They are fussy about their cars. This is an example that you simply cannot make something as complex as a car without some design flaws creeping in on occasion, and it happens to every car maker.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think some of it is a holdover from the 70's and 80's, when Japanese cars really where Japanese. Now, Japanese cars are more American made and big 3 cars.

    Also, it's not just design, it's quality standards. GM specs compared to Toyota specs are a world difference in the parts we make where I work, and despite our closer watch to fit standards, we still get about 5 times the rejections from Toyota as we do GM and Chrysler. They are fussy about their cars. This is an example that you simply cannot make something as complex as a car without some design flaws creeping in on occasion, and it happens to every car maker.
    I knew you were the person to go to about Toyota.

    We have minimum specs and have had to shut down twice in 2 months over machines being of out spec and product rejections.
    It's a pain in the ass as you know.

    I like Japanese cars better because I have gotten a better built, longer lasting vehicle, the 2 Fords I had were absolute crap.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #60
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Toyota Suspends Sales of 8 Models After Accelerator Pedals Keep Sticking

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    yep, sure did. they tried all kinds of ways to not do a full recall. and people died.
    People who were too stupid to put the transmission in neutral.....
    What have we come to?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •