Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 144

Thread: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

    no one's ever grown a deficit like obama

    he's unique!

    indeed, according to the new york times, thanks to president putz INTEREST ON THE DEBT ALONE WILL REACH ONE TRIL PER YEAR BY ABOUT 2017

    Wave of Debt Payments Facing US Government - CNBC

    (story first appeared in the lady)

    keynes is keeling over in his sarcophagus

  2. #82
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You both make the same mistake. Reagan and Bush where good, if you only look at the numbers that are good and don't look at the numbers where spending actually grew. That's a stupid way of doing it though. You have to look at the whole package, and both grew the deficit at rapid paces.
    You were talking about fiscal conservatism as a general policy. I think we can all agree that at a minimum, the increased spending due to 9/11 and the War in Afghanistan is not the "fault" of the president.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You both make the same mistake. Reagan and Bush where good, if you only look at the numbers that are good and don't look at the numbers where spending actually grew. That's a stupid way of doing it though. You have to look at the whole package, and both grew the deficit at rapid paces.
    Except that looking at the whole package without actually looking at its contents is completely misleading. Reagan's deficits were entirely the result of increased military spending, and fiscal policy plays almost no role in determining military policy. Once the Cold War ended, military spending went down, but non-military spending, which had been drastically cut under Reagan, pretty much stayed put, resulting in the eventual balancing of the budget. That stayed until 9/11 came around, at which point military spending went way up again.

    Do you really think that the budget under Clinton would have been balanced if he didn't happen to preside over one of the most peaceful decades in the last seventy years?

  4. #84
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,346
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    You were talking about fiscal conservatism as a general policy. I think we can all agree that at a minimum, the increased spending due to 9/11 and the War in Afghanistan is not the "fault" of the president.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Except that looking at the whole package without actually looking at its contents is completely misleading. Reagan's deficits were entirely the result of increased military spending, and fiscal policy plays almost no role in determining military policy. Once the Cold War ended, military spending went down, but non-military spending, which had been drastically cut under Reagan, pretty much stayed put, resulting in the eventual balancing of the budget. That stayed until 9/11 came around, at which point military spending went way up again.

    Do you really think that the budget under Clinton would have been balanced if he didn't happen to preside over one of the most peaceful decades in the last seventy years?
    Except the point you are both missing is that if you increase spending in one area, you have to cut in another to be able to claim fiscal responsibility. Continuing spending in some areas, while increasing it in others, is not fiscal responsibility without a corresponding increase in revenue.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Except the point you are both missing is that if you increase spending in one area, you have to cut in another to be able to claim fiscal responsibility. Continuing spending in some areas, while increasing it in others, is not fiscal responsibility without a corresponding increase in revenue.
    I agree, which is why George W. Bush was hardly the fiscal conservative. However, Reagan cut domestic spending more than any other president, so your point there is moot.

  6. #86
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    You were talking about fiscal conservatism as a general policy. I think we can all agree that at a minimum, the increased spending due to 9/11 and the War in Afghanistan is not the "fault" of the president.
    But why the tax cuts? An even better question is why the tax cuts on those who are less than likely to "spend"? A tax cut for the middle class would have been optimal, as consumption makes up nearly 70% of the economy.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #87
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,346
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I agree, which is why George W. Bush was hardly the fiscal conservative. However, Reagan cut domestic spending more than any other president, so your point there is moot.
    No it is not moot. His cuts where far outstripped by his spending.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No it is not moot. His cuts where far outstripped by his spending.
    Yes, his military spending, which, as I already said, is not ever influenced by fiscal concerns. I feel like I'm going in circles here.

  9. #89
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,346
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Yes, his military spending, which, as I already said, is not ever influenced by fiscal concerns. I feel like I'm going in circles here.
    Spending is a fiscal concern, no matter what it is for.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #90
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Senate says 'no' to federal debt commission Obama endorsed

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    You were talking about fiscal conservatism as a general policy. I think we can all agree that at a minimum, the increased spending due to 9/11 and the War in Afghanistan is not the "fault" of the president.
    Bull****! He went off the deep end with his involvement in Iraq. That's a trillion dollars this could country could use.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •