Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 109

Thread: Obama to propose spending freeze

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama to propose spending freeze


  2. #12
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama to propose spending freeze

    Until he actually does it, he's full of ****.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  3. #13
    Comrade from Canuckistan! AgentM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    British Columbia
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    995

    Re: Obama to propose spending freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    While I'm not denying that DoD could use some cuts, it's by no means a panacea.

    Defense spending is 18.75% of the 2010 budget.

    SS + Medicare + Medicaid + Welfare = 50.75% of the 2010 budget.

    Cutting DoD while ignoring entitlement spending will do nothing to fix our situation in the long term.
    Well it will be difficult to cut spending in those areas, because the US' social programs are pitiful as they are.
    "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. I say enjoy the show, don't take it seriously." - George Carlin

  4. #14
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,587

    Re: Obama to propose spending freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
    Well it will be difficult to cut spending in those areas, because the US' social programs are pitiful as they are.
    Considering how little you knew about the makeup of the federal budget, what makes you think you're on any more solid ground with this little nugget?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #15
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama to propose spending freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
    Well it will be difficult to cut spending in those areas, because the US' social programs are pitiful as they are.
    -You said that we need to make cuts to our "ridiculously large military."
    -I pointed out that the amount of money spent on entitlement programs and welfare is 2.7 times more than what is spent on the military.
    -You say that we can't cut that spending, because those programs are "pitiful."

    How exactly does that work?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #16
    Comrade from Canuckistan! AgentM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    British Columbia
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    995

    Re: Obama to propose spending freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Considering how little you knew about the makeup of the federal budget, what makes you think you're on any more solid ground with this little nugget?
    Seems like common sense? I still stand by my statement that the US military is ridiculously large.

    Medicare is unlikely to be cut because seniors make up a significant chunk of the electorate. Welfare could be cut, but that could have unwanted social effects and could backfire. Some have suggested that Social Security be privatized, I suppose that's a possibility, not sure how advisable it is though.
    "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. I say enjoy the show, don't take it seriously." - George Carlin

  7. #17
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,587

    Re: Obama to propose spending freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
    Seems like common sense? I still stand by my statement that the US military is ridiculously large.
    Doesn't matter what it "seems like." It's less than 20% of the budget, as has already been pointed out to you. We could eliminate the entire defense budget and we'd still run a trillion-dollar deficit this year.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #18
    Comrade from Canuckistan! AgentM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    British Columbia
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    995

    Re: Obama to propose spending freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Doesn't matter what it "seems like." It's less than 20% of the budget, as has already been pointed out to you. We could eliminate the entire defense budget and we'd still run a trillion-dollar deficit this year.
    Even at 18%, that's still a lot of spending. Admittedly it's not the biggest part of the budget, and I tip my hat to RightinNYC for that information. However, you could slash your military budget in half, and you'd still have the most military spending in the world probably.
    "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. I say enjoy the show, don't take it seriously." - George Carlin

  9. #19
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,587

    Re: Obama to propose spending freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
    Even at 18%, that's still a lot of spending. Admittedly it's not the biggest part of the budget, and I tip my hat to RightinNYC for that information. However, you could slash your military budget in half, and you'd still have the most military spending in the world probably.
    OK, we slash the budget in half, and we still run a $1.3T deficit this year. Did you not read what I just posted?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #20
    Comrade from Canuckistan! AgentM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    British Columbia
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    995

    Re: Obama to propose spending freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    OK, we slash the budget in half, and we still run a $1.3T deficit this year. Did you not read what I just posted?
    Yeah, well no one expects people to get rid of deficits over night, that doesn't happen. In the '90s Canada spent most of a decade getting rid of large deficits, it was a painful and not fun decade for all involved.

    You'll have to make significant cuts in multiple areas of jurisdiction (I just don't know how you're gonna do it with your social programs), if you do that over time you'll be able to get rid of the deficits. But I don't see willingness in America to be fiscally conservative at the federal level. Except for this statement from Obama, which as I said, could be a good start...
    Last edited by AgentM; 01-26-10 at 01:01 AM.
    "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. I say enjoy the show, don't take it seriously." - George Carlin

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •