Page 95 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1049

Thread: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

  1. #941
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    If it's not a person then how can it possibly have rights protected under the constitution that a person has?

    The law treats a corporation as a legal "person" that has standing to sue and be sued, distinct from its stockholders. The legal independence of a corporation prevents shareholders from being personally liable for corporate debts. It also allows stockholders to sue the corporation through a derivative suit and makes ownership in the company (shares) easily transferable. The legal "person" status of corporations gives the business perpetual life; deaths of officials or stockholders do not alter the corporation's structure.

    Corporations are taxable entities that fall under a different scheme from individuals. Although corporations have a "double tax" problem -- both corporate profits and shareholder dividends are taxed -- corporate profits are taxed at a lower rate than the rates for individuals.


    Corporations | LII / Legal Information Institute

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #942
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    If it's not a person then how can it possibly have rights protected under the constitution that a person has?
    Got a problem with reading comprehension?

    The people owning the corporation have those protected freedoms, hence the government cannot deny those people, or their chosen representative, their corporation, from excercising that freedom.

    That's what, the 250th time that's been said out of almost a thousand posts, and you still pretend to not know this?

  3. #943
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    j-mac
    Yeah, I know, I posted that days ago in the Corporate personhood thread. I disagree with the concept that corporations need to to be treated as a person in order for the corporation to receive those benefits listed. Corporate law could handle those without dipping into the Constitution, but of course we know that corporations write our laws therefore we have corporate personhood. It's simply the corporations way of having their cake while being protected from the calories.

  4. #944
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Yeah, I know, I posted that days ago in the Corporate personhood thread. I disagree with the concept that corporations need to to be treated as a person in order for the corporation to receive those benefits listed. Corporate law could handle those without dipping into the Constitution, but of course we know that corporations write our laws therefore we have corporate personhood. It's simply the corporations way of having their cake while being protected from the calories.

    Corporations write the laws? I believe that is congress.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #945
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Corporations write the laws? I believe that is congress.


    j-mac
    J-mac,

    Unfortunately for the common citizens, most congressman are owned by one big business or another.

    Therefore, it is logical to assume that businesses are buying the laws they want.

  6. #946
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Got a problem with reading comprehension?

    The people owning the corporation have those protected freedoms, hence the government cannot deny those people, or their chosen representative, their corporation, from excercising that freedom.

    That's what, the 250th time that's been said out of almost a thousand posts, and you still pretend to not know this?
    I know, you keep saying it as if it will magically become true. It's the republican game plan and we all realize it without you having to remind us.

    Again I'll spell it out for you. The people working at said corporations have their rights protected whether they are employed or not, therefore, no additional protections are needed because being employed does not negate their rights.

    The SCOTUS ruling is in conflict with the Constitution because they gave the corporation free speech protection where none was needed. Bill Gates has his rights protected under the Constitution no matter where he works or whether he works at all. So saying that now he can have his right protected because of the SCOTUS decision is a tautology.

  7. #947
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    J-mac,

    Unfortunately for the common citizens, most congressman are owned by one big business or another.

    Therefore, it is logical to assume that businesses are buying the laws they want.

    For what common citizen? Look, I am a veteran truck driver, I can assure you that I don't set the world on fire, but tell me, all you anti business people, what are you going to do for a job when you destroy the ones currently?



    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #948
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    J-mac,

    Unfortunately for the common citizens, most congressman are owned by one big business or another.

    Therefore, it is logical to assume that businesses are buying the laws they want.
    It is logical to assume that if congressmen are voting for laws that constituents don't like then they'll be voted out of office. I mean, we do have elections, right?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #949
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    J-mac,

    Unfortunately for the common citizens, most congressman are owned by one big business or another.

    Therefore, it is logical to assume that businesses are buying the laws they want.
    Can lobbyists write legislation?
    Lobbyists can and at times do write legislation, sometimes at the behest of a member of Congress or their staff. Often, lobbyists will submit language to a member who has a working relationship with the industry which the lobbyist represents.
    Source

    So there we have it!
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #950
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    J-mac,

    Unfortunately for the common citizens, most congressman are owned by one big business or another.

    Therefore, it is logical to assume that businesses are buying the laws they want.
    That's crap. The voters choose the congressmen. No amount of money can change that.

Page 95 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •