Page 94 of 105 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 1049

Thread: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

  1. #931
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    They are now. Did not you read the article? It will end up in court soon.
    No it won't. It's a parody. Cute, but not serious.

  2. #932
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    They are now. Did not you read the article? It will end up in court soon.

    And it will be rejected because a corporation can't be sworn into office. It has some of the same rights a person has, because a corporation is an assembly of people, but it is not a person. Many of us know this already.

  3. #933
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Take a step back- the repub talking point is that corporate spending would be balanced by union spending.
    It's not a talking point, it's empirical fact. Unions fill out the bulk of the list of biggest campaign donors.

    Their phrase, not mine. While it is true that corporations have the resources to out spend any other group, including unions, it is a pretty hollow argument. What is really lost is the speech of all the millions who are not represented by any well- off interest group.
    Which is why we have advocacy groups like the NRA, the ACLU, and the Sierra Club. This decision eliminates a pointless procedural hurdle that forced them to couch their ads in particular terms.

    Often corporations and unions are congenial partners on issues and candidates. Need I list some?
    I just don't have a clue what you're getting at here. Nothing in this decision has any relation to the issues you're complaining about.

    But frankly, as I have said, it strikes me as insane to design a system in which no one can run for office w/o raising hundreds of thousands of dollars and, once in office, we pay these reps to spend 30% of their time raising more money.
    So propose a system that you think would work.

    And , obviously, I adamantly disagree that corporations are people. I have not seen any convincing arguments that the framers intended for corporations to be considered people and plenty of historical evidence that they could not have. So, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
    Again, the issue is not whether corporations = people, no matter how much people try to misconstrue it as such. The issue is whether certain constitutional rights protect corporate entities in addition to individuals.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #934
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No it won't. It's a parody. Cute, but not serious.
    It may be a parody but I saw the guy on msnbc and they offered no disclaimer. Now if it had been fox.

    It will be interesting.

  5. #935
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    It may be a parody but I saw the guy on msnbc and they offered no disclaimer.
    Because they think their viewers are smart enough to see the obvious and be in on the joke. Maybe they overestimated a little.

    Seriously - it's a joke. The corporation won't even get on the ballot. I can't believe I have to tell you that.

  6. #936
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Because they think their viewers are smart enough to see the obvious and be in on the joke. Maybe they overestimated a little.

    Seriously - it's a joke. The corporation won't even get on the ballot. I can't believe I have to tell you that.
    Well it is med time......

  7. #937
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Regardless of what Media Matters trys to pass off here, their case is weak to say the least.


    j-mac
    I guess it's for us to decide then. I bet you are just a partisan hack who never bothered to cry over repub presidents who did the exact same thing, similar thing or worse.

  8. #938
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    I guess it's for us to decide then. I bet you are just a partisan hack who never bothered to cry over repub presidents who did the exact same thing, similar thing or worse.

    Depends on who you are talking about when you say 'us'? As for the rest of your name calling, grow up will ya?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #939
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    You people are all getting off topic. Here is some new red meat for ya'll to chew on which relates to this thread. we need to clear the air.

    A corporation is running for congress in maryland's 8th district.

    Murray Hill Corporation to run for Maryland's 8th Congressional District
    Nice. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Thanks for posting it!

  10. #940
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    And it will be rejected because a corporation can't be sworn into office. It has some of the same rights a person has, because a corporation is an assembly of people, but it is not a person. Many of us know this already.
    If it's not a person then how can it possibly have rights protected under the constitution that a person has?

Page 94 of 105 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •