Page 89 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1049

Thread: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

  1. #881
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Republicans...buckle up. This decision is landmark and should send a shiver down Obama's spine, we're gonna parachute money into Republican campaigns. It's on....
    Suuuure.

    This decision will have very little impact, since corporations - and unions - were already able to spend all they want on political speech before, they just had to barely pretend it was something else.

  2. #882
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Once again...after the trillion dollar bonanza by Obama, where such voices above were absolutely silent, we just now hear concerns from the Left on the "lost free speech of millions who aren't represented by special interests." Hey, welcome to the party, Cassandra! Many of us felt powerless during Obama's campaign, your party uninterested even in foreign monies and Soros stuffed bags of cash. Amusing how this SC decision jolts you awake, special interests and unions and ACORNS and community organizers and billionaires have been dominating the Democrat political machines...without a peep of representation for me.

    And you are correct, corporations have money. And hopefully, it's pouring into Repub coffers right now. We need to win these elections in 2010 and then go right after the Presidency in 2012.

    I



    Struck insane but gleeful as a schoolgirl on Obama election night is my guess.



    Of course you do.



    Oh...we want to use the Framers now as well......for the love of God! The Framers didn't restrict people from incorporating nor gave the government any power to set rules on such freedom of speech. Should I wish to become political....why should the fact that I own, invest in, or manage a corporation make a slime's bit of difference? Why, because I have more money? Because a corporation has bucks, that's the reason to deny them their right to free speech or to contribute to a candidate??

    Republicans...buckle up. This decision is landmark and should send a shiver down Obama's spine, we're gonna parachute money into Republican campaigns. It's on....
    I disagree. I think Obama did a mafnificent job standing up to them in their home turf on nationl tv. It was refresing to see such magnificent transparency.

  3. #883
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    I disagree. I think Obama did a mafnificent job standing up to them in their home turf on nationl tv. It was refresing to see such magnificent transparency.
    Transparency, bs. If Obama wanted to have a real give a take session it would have been behind closed doors. Posing for the cameras shows he really has no intention of finding common ground. He knew the public wanted bipartisanship, so he gave them a photo op.

    Is he a snakeoil salesman or a real leader?

  4. #884
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    I disagree. I think Obama did a mafnificent job standing up to them in their home turf on nationl tv. It was refresing to see such magnificent transparency.
    I had no problem with how he did that either.

    But he came this close to outright lying about what the decision did. I'm a strong Obama supporter, but that was very disappointing.

  5. #885
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Once again...after the trillion dollar bonanza by Obama, where such voices above were absolutely silent, we just now hear concerns from the Left on the "lost free speech of millions who aren't represented by special interests." Hey, welcome to the party, Cassandra! Many of us felt powerless during Obama's campaign, your party uninterested even in foreign monies and Soros stuffed bags of cash. Amusing how this SC decision jolts you awake, special interests and unions and ACORNS and community organizers and billionaires have been dominating the Democrat political machines...without a peep of representation for me.

    And you are correct, corporations have money. And hopefully, it's pouring into Repub coffers right now. We need to win these elections in 2010 and then go right after the Presidency in 2012.

    Struck insane but gleeful as a schoolgirl on Obama election night is my guess.

    Of course you do.

    Oh...we want to use the Framers now as well......for the love of God! The Framers didn't restrict people from incorporating nor gave the government any power to set rules on such freedom of speech. Should I wish to become political....why should the fact that I own, invest in, or manage a corporation make a slime's bit of difference? Why, because I have more money? Because a corporation has bucks, that's the reason to deny them their right to free speech or to contribute to a candidate??

    Republicans...buckle up. This decision is landmark and should send a shiver down Obama's spine, we're gonna parachute money into Republican campaigns. It's on....
    No reason to respond to all these comments, separately. I see that you are under the misapprehension that there is a big difference between Repubs and Dems. There isn't. Which is really my point. Money leads to faux differences of opinion and sameness of outcome in the political elite since they are all chasing pretty much the same donors. That is why the abortion and gay marriage issues are so popular. It allows the parties to sound like they are have a different viewpoint w/o doing much of anything differently once in office.

  6. #886
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    No reason to respond to all these comments, separately. I see that you are under the misapprehension that there is a big difference between Repubs and Dems. There isn't.
    Oh, no. You're not one of those "they're all the same" people?

    Money leads to faux differences of opinion and sameness of outcome in the political elite since they are all chasing pretty much the same donors.
    Did you just say that? They're all chasing the same donors? Really?

    That is why the abortion and gay marriage issues are so popular. It allows the parties to sound like they are have a different viewpoint w/o doing much of anything differently once in office.
    Seriously, now you think there's no difference in the party's on abortion and gay marriage?

    Please stop.

  7. #887
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,518

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I had no problem with how he did that either.
    So, you support PBO sucker punching someone on national TV, when those persons weren't able to defend themselves? His actions were cowardly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #888
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, you support PBO sucker punching someone on national TV, when those persons weren't able to defend themselves? His actions were cowardly.
    By that standard, the President couldn't criticize anyone in a SOTU because they can't defend themselves. You gonna tell him he can't criticize the Republicans either? It's not a debate, it's a speech.

    There's nothing wrong with saying he disagrees with a court decision. Happens all the time:

    Right-wing media are attacking President Obama for his criticism of the recent Supreme Court decision in Citizens United v. FEC during the State of the Union, calling it "unprecedented" and accusing the president of "intimidation." In fact, Obama's comments were not "unprecedented"; Presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush have previously used the State of the Union to criticize judicial actions, including those of the Supreme Court.
    Media conservatives falsely claim Obama's Supreme Court criticism was "unprecedented" | Media Matters for America

  9. #889
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Suuuure.

    This decision will have very little impact, since corporations - and unions - were already able to spend all they want on political speech before, they just had to barely pretend it was something else.
    We'll see. Behind by a whoppin amount of cash, unable to keep up with Obama's nearly trillion dollar election war chest...we'll see if it makes no difference in 2012. I predict massive impact and lots of monies going to Repub candidates this fall. I smell blood in the water and any good Republican Hammerhead is filing sharp the teeth. Gotta go, Exxon calling.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  10. #890
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,518

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    By that standard, the President couldn't criticize anyone in a SOTU because they can't defend themselves. You gonna tell him he can't criticize the Republicans either? It's not a debate, it's a speech.
    It's a state of the union speech. Not a let me get in some cheap shots because no one can say anything speech. He has all the time in the world to criticize his political opponents and save the SOTU for what it's meant for, to speak on the state of the union.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 89 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •