Page 62 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 1049

Thread: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

  1. #611
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    A church is a building on a plot of land.
    No, a church can also be an organization. You know, like the Roman Catholic Church, or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That kind of church.

    You saying these organizations have no right to freedom of religion? Are you going to say that, out loud?

  2. #612
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No, a church can also be an organization. You know, like the Roman Catholic Church, or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That kind of church.

    You saying these organizations have no right to freedom of religion? Are you going to say that, out loud?
    Well if it's a group of people then the government taking a building and a plot of land cannot be construed as shutting down the church. If instead you mean by "shutting down" that the people are prevented from meeting and practicing their religion, then that is most definitely violation of an individuals right to religion and association.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #613
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well if it's a group of people then the government taking a building and a plot of land cannot be construed as shutting down the church.
    I'll let you think that one over and delete it if you want to, no questions asked.

    If instead you mean by "shutting down" that the people are prevented from meeting and practicing their religion, then that is most definitely violation of an individuals right to religion and association.
    Hey, if you think it would be "freedom of religion" to shut down a church and seize its building and assets because the members of that church could just as easily meet at the local town hall on Sunday, come out and say so. You can take that back too if you want.

  4. #614
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I'll let you think that one over and delete it if you want to, no questions asked.
    Merely going by your definition. Sorry pal. You said it's not a building on a plot of land, but a group of people. If it's just a group of people, the government taking the building cannot be construed as shutting down the church since the group is not dispensed or in any way prohibited from congregating elsewhere. Of course, I think it's ridiculous; but hey I didn't make the definition. Plus, there's always property rights, but I don't think you wanted a serious discussion on rights the way you're responding.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Hey, if you think it would be "freedom of religion" to shut down a church and seize its building and assets because the members of that church could just as easily meet at the local town hall on Sunday, come out and say so. You can take that back too if you want.
    You said it was a group of people, that makes the church. The building is therefore inconsequential. Unless the building is part of what the "church" is as well.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #615
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Merely going by your definition. Sorry pal. You said it's not a building on a plot of land, but a group of people. If it's just a group of people, the government taking the building cannot be construed as shutting down the church since the group is not dispensed or in any way prohibited from congregating elsewhere. Of course, I think it's ridiculous; but hey I didn't make the definition.

    You said it was a group of people, that makes the church. The building is therefore inconsequential. Unless the building is part of what the "church" is as well.
    Okay, you're strangely confusing yourself into saying that churches (the organizations) have no freedom of religion. I'm not sure how you did it, but you managed. It feels too weird to be leading you on like this, it's like seducing a minor or something, so I'm going to just drop it and slowly walk away.

  6. #616
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Everything is explained by the rights of the individual. Only individual's possess rights. These include religion (practice and expression), assembly, and property among others. The government may not properly infringe upon these without due process of law, and all law is to respect and acknowledge the rights of the individual. We may grant privilege and legal status to other entities, but those are not innate and inalienable rights.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #617
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    So it's your argument that where it says "or of the press," it really means "or of media publishing corporations," and that where it says "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," it really means "or prohibiting the free exercise of a religious 501c3 organization by regulating its actions," but then that none of the rest of the amendment applies to anyone other than individuals?
    Eh...yeah?



    Unless I'm mistaken, private corporations employ something like 80% of the nation. I'd say that's a fairly positive contribution to society. Regardless, that's neither here nor there, because the existence of a constitutional right is not predicated on whether the speaker is someone who is generally seen as advancing the common good.
    The rising tide lifts all boats fallacy? Actually the ones enumerated in the constitution are, Take the press for example:
    "The only security of all is in a free press. The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to. It is necessary, to keep the waters pure." --Thomas Jefferson to Lafayette, 1823.



    Which is exactly what interest groups like the NRA or ACLU do.
    The NRA and the ACLU do not have the leverage on their voters in the same way as a corporation hason it's workers.



    First National v. Belotti includes a great survey of the law:
    Have you read this bit?


    Whether or not a particular guarantee is "purely personal" or is unavailable to corporations for some other reason depends on the nature, history, and purpose of the particular constitutional provision.
    And here is an interesting one from the footnote;

    [ Footnote 15 ] It has been settled for almost a century that corporations are persons within the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment. Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific R. Co., 118 U.S. 394 (1886); see Covington & Lexington Turnpike R. Co. v. Sandford, 164 U.S. 578 (1896).
    That amendment regards civil rights and due process. Not the 1st. Guess which one of those two the judgement refers to?

    And no the constitution in it's entriety does not apply to corporations. It can't. A corporation can't stand for office, it can't be an officer in the US military, or a judge (14th regarding insurrection). It can be taxed though - Again the 14th.
    It can bear arms (2nd)
    And the ruling you cite explains why.
    Last edited by Alvin T. Grey; 01-27-10 at 07:55 AM.

  8. #618
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    Eh...yeah?
    And where are you getting that from? What part of the language in the first amendment leads you to that conclusion?

    The rising tide lifts all boats fallacy? Actually the ones enumerated in the constitution are, Take the press for example:
    "The only security of all is in a free press. The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to. It is necessary, to keep the waters pure." --Thomas Jefferson to Lafayette, 1823.
    What does that have to do with anything? You said that the press and churches deserved special protections because they benefited society. I noted that corporations benefit society too. You responded by providing me with a Jefferson quote from 35 years after the drafting, talking about how nice the free press is. I'm not denying that the press is good - I'm saying that corporations are good too.

    The NRA and the ACLU do not have the leverage on their voters in the same way as a corporation hason it's workers.
    Which is relevant because...? This isn't about the leverage an organization has on its workers/voters, because the organization is not forcing the workers/voters to do anything. If an organization feels that its workers/voters would be best served by supporting a particular candidate, then they are advancing those interests by doing so.

    Have you read this bit?

    And here is an interesting one from the footnote;

    That amendment regards civil rights and due process. Not the 1st. Guess which one of those two the judgement refers to?
    Think about why the Court would be relying on the 14th Amendment in order to invalidate a state law that restricted speech.

    And no the constitution in it's entriety does not apply to corporations. It can't. A corporation can't stand for office, it can't be an officer in the US military, or a judge (14th regarding insurrection). It can be taxed though - Again the 14th.
    It can bear arms (2nd)
    And the ruling you cite explains why.
    Where did I say otherwise?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #619
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    The NRA and the ACLU do not have the leverage on their voters in the same way as a corporation hason it's workers.
    Really. The NRA?

  10. #620
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    yeah, Here is the real ugly face of the ACLU:


    OpEdNews - Article: The Next Civil War is About to Begin


    name calling, trash talking, cry baby progressives that wish the destruction of this nation as it exists now.


    j-mac
    Do the right-wingers have any organization you disapprove of or just the left?

Page 62 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •