Page 18 of 105 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 1049

Thread: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

  1. #171
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I love to watch you liberals whine when the playing field is leveled..We have watched the unions and the DOE line the pockets of democrats for years.....Now we can watch the corporations that actually do the hiring in this country line the pockets of the Republicans.......Remember my left wing friends, what goes around come around............
    You gotta be kidding. The unions are nearly powerless as it is. Why don't you do a little research and check out how much $$ unions have in their coffers versus that of the corporations. Check out the F.I.R.E. sector in particular- you know the guys who just recently brought the country to its knees and sprang back with a little help from the tax payer! Their deep pockets are making certain ,as we speak, that there will be no needed reforms to prevent them from pulling off a similar scam in a few years... just the sort of "speech" the Supreme Court is celebrating, it would seem.

    This should not be a liberal/conservative issue because no self respecting true conservative would be happy about this.

  2. #172
    User Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    05-26-10 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    98

    Re: Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I love to watch you liberals whine when the playing field is leveled..We have watched the unions and the DOE line the pockets of democrats for years.....Now we can watch the corporations that actually do the hiring in this country line the pockets of the Republicans.......Remember my left wing friends, what goes around come around............
    And I thought our military folks actually LOVED our country. If you think this is funny and 'pay back' and part of a partisan game like sports, you should be ashamed of yourself.

    This ruling takes away all the people's power in elections. We can give our little donations to a candidate we like, we can work for their campaigns, we can believe what they say when they tell us what their policies are, but at the end of the day, from now on, they will do the bidding of their corporate masters. Because that's who's paying them the unlimited big bucks.
    Enough with the dirty, deadly and disgusting oil and coal. Let's get clean, let's go green. Enough is enough!!

  3. #173
    User Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    05-26-10 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    98

    Re: Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Areopagitican View Post
    Government in America: People, Politics, and Policy (Twelfth Edition); ISBN # 0-321-29236-7


    Interesting. Never heard of it.
    Enough with the dirty, deadly and disgusting oil and coal. Let's get clean, let's go green. Enough is enough!!

  4. #174
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    You're wrong. This is new. It's a new ruling by the supreme court that undid the 1907 law and now there are no limits at all on how much money a corporation can spend buying a candidate for themselves.

    Any politician in office right now can be told by a corporation if they don't vote the right way, the corporation will buy one to replace him, who will vote the right way.
    Do you really think when this law you speak of was passed that every corporate CEO in America just shrugged and said, "well damn, I guess we're just powerless now"? Are you really that nave?

    You're in high school, right?

  5. #175
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    How does it level the playing field?
    If a corporation pays candidate A a billion dollars to run for office, how does candidate B match that funding for advertising his campaign?

    How does a candidate of the people run against a candidate of the corporation?
    You mean a candidate of the unions and the Dept. of Education who line the coffers of the dems don't you,,,,,,The dems always doubled or tripled the money donated to campaigns because of that..........Well thanks to this great SCOTUS those days are gone fooever........Thank you President Bush for thos 2 great conservative justices you appointed........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  6. #176
    User Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    05-26-10 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    98

    Re: Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Do you really think when this law you speak of was passed that every corporate CEO in America just shrugged and said, "well damn, I guess we're just powerless now"? Are you really that nave?

    You're in high school, right?
    I don't think the insults are going to help you win this debate. But carry on if that's all you've got.

    A Strawman argument is when you claim I think something that I never said and expect me to argue to defend that stance.

    LOL!!!

    I'm not going to make an argument that you want me to make. I'm just going to tell you how it is.

    This supreme court ruling overturned a 1907 law called the Tillman act.

    Appendix 4: Brief History

    This is only going to lead to corruption and remove the power of the people to elect our politicians. This gives all the power to the big money corporations to buy politicians to do what they want them to do.
    Enough with the dirty, deadly and disgusting oil and coal. Let's get clean, let's go green. Enough is enough!!

  7. #177
    User Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    05-26-10 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    98

    Re: Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You mean a candidate of the unions and the Dept. of Education who line the coffers of the dems don't you,,,,,,The dems always doubled or tripled the money donated to campaigns because of that..........Well thanks to this great SCOTUS those days are gone fooever........Thank you President Bush for thos 2 great conservative justices you appointed........
    The unions have pennies to the corporations millions. No comparison.

    The Dept of Education is part of the government.

    Your argument makes no sense. Your vote will not count anymore. The corporations will decide who runs the government. Do you think the corporations have you in mind when they make policy?
    Enough with the dirty, deadly and disgusting oil and coal. Let's get clean, let's go green. Enough is enough!!

  8. #178
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    I don't think the insults are going to help you win this debate. But carry on if that's all you've got.

    A Strawman argument is when you claim I think something that I never said and expect me to argue to defend that stance.

    LOL!!!

    I'm not going to make an argument that you want me to make. I'm just going to tell you how it is.

    This supreme court ruling overturned a 1907 law called the Tillman act.

    Appendix 4: Brief History

    This is only going to lead to corruption and remove the power of the people to elect our politicians. This gives all the power to the big money corporations to buy politicians to do what they want them to do.
    Yep, high schooler.

    Get back to me when you learn something useful. Dismissed.

  9. #179
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    01-25-10 @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    50

    Re: Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending

    foreign governments especially ones with deep pockets are going to enjoy this ruling if its stands

    won't be hard to use a state owned corporation to run all sorts of ads and buy some politicians to get what they want directly, nice security risk

    of course if the US actually enforced its anti-trust laws it would help a great deal but even if it did this new ruling isn't good, unintended consequences and corruption can do wonders

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending

    Quote Originally Posted by elbatrop View Post
    foreign governments especially ones with deep pockets are going to enjoy this ruling if its stands
    Let me get this straight. It's corporations' fault a Senator will betray his conscience, his country and his family for money? If that's the case, it really doesn't matter where that money comes from. Does it? If that is the case, there's clearly more fundamental problems within the government, than in a free associations.
    Last edited by Areopagitican; 01-22-10 at 01:22 AM.

Page 18 of 105 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •