Page 100 of 105 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1049

Thread: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

  1. #991
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Yes, when they are uneducated and easily swayed by massive ad campaigns that seek to distort the truth or ignore the truth altogether.
    So people who are smarter have to use the power of the government to keep dumb people from hearing things that might influence their vote.

    Wow.

    See, you are exactly the kind of person the founding fathers were terrified of when they wrote the First Amendment. How's that feel?

  2. #992
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Just as loud.
    Oh.

    So, you're okay with the thought that people who own companies should be denied their freedom of speech, but you're going to whine the moon out of the sky if goonions were denied that freedom.

    Hypocrite.


    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    I don't believe anyone should be giving more or less than anyone else. I think everyone should pitch in 5-10 dollars (or whatever the agreed upon number) into an election pool as part of public campaign finance. That way we as voters can vote on what we want instead of what the corporatists want.
    I think people should "pitch in" (and when I use the word, what I mean is a "contribution", which, if you ever look the word up, you'll see that it embodies the word "voluntary". You use it as a euphemism to hide your desire for a TAX.) whatever they want to, as much as they want to, to only those candidates they want to support.

    That's called "freedom". It's an American thing, I don't think you'll understand.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    I'm a social libertarian, not the lefty democrat you'd like to group me with. You lose.
    So, you're a socialist. Since you've just finished insisting people pay a tax that will go to fund candidates they do not approve of, you're clearly not a libertarian, something further proven by your desire to deny people who own companies their freedom to engage in political discourse.

  3. #993
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    So republicanism is a sham. What better system to you propose?
    It's not that republicanism is a sham but rather, we've allowed our country to become a corporatocracy with the sheen of a republic. Our Republic is a sham, not the idea of a republic.

  4. #994
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Look at what you are saying - the voters are stupid and need the government's protection so they won't see certain ads that could trick them.
    No, I'm saying voters are stupid which is how we got ourselves into this system of corporate control. Voters are stupid because the corporaticracy raids education funding on a continual basis.

    I can't think of a better example of why we have freedom of speech.
    Freedom of speech is great if you understand what you are talking about but if you're like this, then it's not so great when you are stupid because of it: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRq6Y4NmB6U"]YouTube- McCain Tells Crowd Obama is Not Arab[/ame]

    That's not to say I'm against free speech.
    Last edited by NoJingoLingo; 02-03-10 at 03:15 PM.

  5. #995
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Maybe the solution is the First Amendment and allowing people the opportunity to use their own money to promote their own ideas.

    Nowhere in the Constitution is the federal government allowed to finance campaigns for elective office.
    No where in the constitution are corporations allowed to finance campaigns for elective office.

    We can however make an amendment. Unlike what judges have done and simply made corporations more and more equal to "people".

  6. #996
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Nice try but that is a specious argument in regards to the subject.
    Not at all. If I have individual rights, and then I try to do something else with a friend, suddenly we can't do what we separately would have done? Why?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #997
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No, the voters did.

    I don't know if you noticed, but we have elections. The people choose. If you don't like who they choose, or why, that's too bad. If they choose the people who spend the most special interest money on ads, that's their choice. Your contempt for the intelligence and responsibility of the American voter is disgusting.
    Add me to that list of people who are contemptuous of the intelligence and responsibility of the American voter. We did, after all, elect Bush twice (at least his second term anyway).

  8. #998
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    It's not that republicanism is a sham but rather, we've allowed our country to become a corporatocracy with the sheen of a republic. Our Republic is a sham, not the idea of a republic.
    No. The principle still holds. We vote out those who don't vote the way we want. No amount of corporate spending can change that.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #999
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    So people who are smarter have to use the power of the government to keep dumb people from hearing things that might influence their vote.

    Wow.

    See, you are exactly the kind of person the founding fathers were terrified of when they wrote the First Amendment. How's that feel?
    Again you go to the Strawman-Well, hoping no one will notice. Please quote me saying any of the above.

    How does your strawman argument feel? I feel sorry that you refuse to use your intelligence on this matter.

  10. #1000
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Supreme Court Overturns Limits on Corporate Spending in Political Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    No, I'm saying voters are stupid which is how we got ourselves into this system of corporate control.
    No, the voters are stupid because they chose Obama.

    That corporations, which represent people, are allowed to represent those people by buying advertising, is a guaranteed First Amendment freedom.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •