Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 636

Thread: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

  1. #551
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    My step son recently got the flu and the Dr. proscribed some medicine. It is a fairly recently available and its promise is the sooner taken the sooner the flu is knocked out. Within roughly 36 or less the fever was gone aftet the med was taken. W/O insurance the med was something like 200 + bucks and even with the insurance it was still 67 bucks.
    Was it antibiotics? If so, your doctor is part of the problem, not the solution.

    Also, do you really need to "cure" the flu? Every time I got the flu I just stayed in bed and ate chicken noodle soup. Always worked well for me...

  2. #552
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    So I guess every exact detail is necessary for you to understand a point.

    OK, my cousin didn't have insurance and got sick. He tried to ride it out, taking over the counter medicine. He got sicker and sicker until his wife took him to the emergency room. He was diagnosed with pneumonia and was admitted to the hospital where he spent X number of days (only a couple if I remember correctly) and was then sent home to continue to recover. His bill was approx. 10k.

    He has been paying off his bill for 2 years. He was out of work nearly 2 months. Who paid for his lack of productivity? We all did.

    Is there some evidence that using emergency rooms is cheaper than preventative care?

    Your cousin is a MORON. Would he have taken his car to the mechanic if it was sputtering and idling fast? Or would he have waited until his car stalled on the highway? There's something called personal responsibility, and your cousin clearly doesn't have much of it. If he was that sick and didn't bother going to the doctor because he was too cheap, then his priorities are out of wack. But I bet he pays out the nose for his cell phone and cable service.

    I am one of those Americans without health insurance, and I absolutely do not want it from the gov't. I *choose* to take care of my own medical bills so *I* can make my own choices as far as what drs I see and when. We do have catastrophic insurance because we're not idiots. Because the state I live in has some BS gov't run heathcare and started dicking around with too many insurance regulations, it's now way too cost prohibitive for a middle class family to self insure. My monthly premium skyrocketted to well over my monthly mortgage payment, and I built my house when house prices were through the roof.

    There have been many times I've thought to myself, "do I really need to see a dr and pay $125 for an office visit?" And you know, if I'm sick, I freaking do it. In fact yesterday, we just received a bill for $500 for me to have some basal cell removed. So the freak what. I'll pay a lot more than that on my electricity bill over the next few months, and I don't expect the gov't to pay for that either (what? electricity in the US should be a right!). I'll pay a lot more than that for the luxury of flushing my toilets this year.

    So when I think of these people (who you know dang right well have iPods and awesome cellphones) who are too cheap to drop $100 to see a dr to take care of their health, I don't have a lot of sympathy. If you're dirt poor, the gov't will pay it anyway. If you're not dirt poor, poney up the cash and quityerbitchen.

    /rant
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  3. #553
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Was it antibiotics? If so, your doctor is part of the problem, not the solution.

    Also, do you really need to "cure" the flu? Every time I got the flu I just stayed in bed and ate chicken noodle soup. Always worked well for me...
    It was probably tamiflu. If my kid were sick, I would pay the 200 bones OOP for it. I drop $200/week to send him to camp, so I surely wouldn't with hold that money to make him feel well. It's about priorities, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  4. #554
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    Your cousin is a MORON. Would he have taken his car to the mechanic if it was sputtering and idling fast? Or would he have waited until his car stalled on the highway? There's something called personal responsibility, and your cousin clearly doesn't have much of it. If he was that sick and didn't bother going to the doctor because he was too cheap, then his priorities are out of wack. But I bet he pays out the nose for his cell phone and cable service.

    I am one of those Americans without health insurance, and I absolutely do not want it from the gov't. I *choose* to take care of my own medical bills so *I* can make my own choices as far as what drs I see and when. We do have catastrophic insurance because we're not idiots. Because the state I live in has some BS gov't run heathcare and started dicking around with too many insurance regulations, it's now way too cost prohibitive for a middle class family to self insure. My monthly premium skyrocketted to well over my monthly mortgage payment, and I built my house when house prices were through the roof.

    There have been many times I've thought to myself, "do I really need to see a dr and pay $125 for an office visit?" And you know, if I'm sick, I freaking do it. In fact yesterday, we just received a bill for $500 for me to have some basal cell removed. So the freak what. I'll pay a lot more than that on my electricity bill over the next few months, and I don't expect the gov't to pay for that either (what? electricity in the US should be a right!). I'll pay a lot more than that for the luxury of flushing my toilets this year.

    So when I think of these people (who you know dang right well have iPods and awesome cellphones) who are too cheap to drop $100 to see a dr to take care of their health, I don't have a lot of sympathy. If you're dirt poor, the gov't will pay it anyway. If you're not dirt poor, poney up the cash and quityerbitchen.

    /rant
    Absolutely outstanding post, you nailed it. The entitlement mentality individual however will never get it.

  5. #555
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    We should all be charitable from within our own hearts. Having you tell me for example, what I should give, and to whom is not correct.


    j-mac
    Yes we should but since we won't, what should be done?

    You see, that's why SS was started in the first place; people who needed charity couldn't get it or were too ashamed to ask people they know (the government being faceless) and therefore suffered and died.

  6. #556
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Yes we should but since we won't, what should be done?

    You see, that's why SS was started in the first place; people who needed charity couldn't get it or were too ashamed to ask people they know (the government being faceless) and therefore suffered and died.
    If I couldn't afford to buy food for my family, the first thing I'd do is let go of my stupid ego, and I'd ask someone for help. Or maybe that's just a little too much work for some people. It's easier to wait on your azz for a check while watching Jerry Springer. Get real.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  7. #557
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Your entire argument is premised on the assumption that if he had had insurance, none of this would have happened because he would have gone to see a doctor when he first got the flu symptoms and that would have changed the whole course of events. In reality, if he had had insurance and gone to see the doctor, the doctor most likely would have told him to get some bed rest, drink lots of fluids, and take some acetaminophen, aka Nyquil. Which is what he did.
    And your argument is based on the assumption that having insurance wouldn't have made a difference.

    If he had insurance he could have gone back to the doctor saying that he's feeling even worse than last week. The doctor could then have prescribed medication.

  8. #558
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    And your argument is based on the assumption that having insurance wouldn't have made a difference.

    If he had insurance he could have gone back to the doctor saying that he's feeling even worse than last week. The doctor could then have prescribed medication.
    Does your cousin have a cell phone? Cable service? iPod? Does he ever go out on the weekends and piss away half his paycheck on partying?
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  9. #559
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    And your argument is based on the assumption that having insurance wouldn't have made a difference.

    If he had insurance he could have gone back to the doctor saying that he's feeling even worse than last week. The doctor could then have prescribed medication.
    I imagine if he wasn't willing to cough up the $75-$100 to see the doctor in the first place, insurance wouldn't have moved him to care for his health any better.

    And Right's argument made no such assumption. Right's argument pointed out the likely fact that your relative did exactly as the doctor would have first instructed him anyway.

  10. #560
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Plus, what else did he do? Did he stay in bed and get the needed rest? Or did he just take the NyQuil and keep plodding on as normal?

    Flu doesn't generally lead to pneumonia unless you aggravate it.
    I think he worked for the first week, because, you know, he needs to pay the rent. I'm sure you'll call him an idiot now because he WANTED to keep working.

Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •