Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 123

Thread: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

  1. #1
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    The FBI illegally collected more than 2,000 U.S. telephone call records between 2002 and 2006 by invoking terrorism emergencies that did not exist or simply persuading phone companies to provide records, according to internal bureau memos and interviews. FBI officials issued approvals after the fact to justify their actions.

    E-mails obtained by The Washington Post detail how counterterrorism officials inside FBI headquarters did not follow their own procedures that were put in place to protect civil liberties. The stream of urgent requests for phone records also overwhelmed the FBI communications analysis unit with work that ultimately was not connected to imminent threats.

    FBI general counsel Valerie Caproni said in an interview Monday that the FBI technically violated the Electronic Communications Privacy Act when agents invoked nonexistent emergencies to collect records.

    Among those whose phone records were searched improperly were journalists for The Washington Post and the New York Times, according to interviews with government officials.
    Source

    If the FBI wants to request phone records, they have to issue a National Security Letter (NSL) that specifies which terrorism investigation the phone records pertain to. Eventually the procedure evolved to where they were getting phone records before issuing an NSL, and then the NSL was never issued at all.

    Terrorists can only win if they can get the USA to beat its own self. This is an example of that.

  2. #2
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    If it has aided the FBI, then it probably should be legalized.

    Simple logic.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  3. #3
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    If it has aided the FBI, then it probably should be legalized.

    Simple logic.
    Fascist logic. Everything for the State. I'd rather operate by the rights and liberties of the individual than by the desires and whims of the State.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Fascist logic. Everything for the State. I'd rather operate by the rights and liberties of the individual than by the desires and whims of the State.
    Okie dokie, thanks for giving your own opinion on the subject.

    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  5. #5
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,398

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    If someone wants to make copies of my phone calls, I don't feel that my rights have been violated.

    The FBI has information where I made a call at H-hour on D-day. So what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If someone wants to make copies of my phone calls, I don't feel that my rights have been violated.

    The FBI has information where I made a call at H-hour on D-day. So what?
    That's fine. You are more than free to submit in this case. But just because you don't feel it's a violation or you don't care about your info being handed out at whim of government doesn't mean that you should make policy which requires the rest of us do the same. If the government wants my information about something, they can go get a warrant like they're supposed to. If they ain't got probable cause enough against me to get a warrant, then they can mind their own business.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #7
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If someone wants to make copies of my phone calls, I don't feel that my rights have been violated.

    The FBI has information where I made a call at H-hour on D-day. So what?
    Folks don't like it when their information is given to law-enforcing institutes.

    They feel it hurts their odds at getting clean out of a committed crime.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    If it has aided the FBI, then it probably should be legalized.

    Simple logic.
    No.

    The FBI will follow the law.

    The law applied to everybody or nobody. It does not work both ways.

    The FBI needs to be held accountable for spying on its own citizens.

  9. #9
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    No.

    The FBI will follow the law.

    The law applied to everybody or nobody. It does not work both ways.

    The FBI needs to be held accountable for spying on its own citizens.
    I agree, the law is above everyone.

    I do believe however that if the FBI finds it necessary to use those methods, then a legalization - or rather - a partial legalization, should be considered.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  10. #10
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,398

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's fine. You are more than free to submit in this case. But just because you don't feel it's a violation or you don't care about your info being handed out at whim of government doesn't mean that you should make policy which requires the rest of us do the same. If the government wants my information about something, they can go get a warrant like they're supposed to. If they ain't got probable cause enough against me to get a warrant, then they can mind their own business.
    I think you're blowing it all out of proportion. What do they really have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •