Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 123

Thread: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

  1. #81
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Once again, the word secure in that paragraph is being taken out of context.
    It refers to the people's feeling of safety that their right to privacy would not be violated, not to the people's feeling of safety for their lives and bodies.
    So you agree it is a violation.

  2. #82
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,174

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    So you agree it is a violation.
    Of the right to privacy, yes, and it would be about the hundredth time I say it in this thread.

    Maybe I should just put it in my signature, you know, "the FBI has violated the law by taking phone records without a warrant, they should be accountable for this tyrannical act of pure evil and hatred to the citizens of their nation".

    Maybe I should write it in red, you know, to give it more meaning.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  3. #83
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Of the right to privacy, yes, and it would be about the hundredth time I say it in this thread.

    Maybe I should just put it in my signature, you know, "the FBI has violated the law by taking phone records without a warrant, they should be accountable for this tyrannical act of pure evil and hatred to the citizens of their nation".

    Maybe I should write it in red, you know, to give it more meaning.
    So why are you arguing the point? Is it okay for the FBI to routinely run roughshod over the Bill of Rights?

  4. #84
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,174

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    So why are you arguing the point? Is it okay for the FBI to routinely run roughshod over the Bill of Rights?
    My proposal was to partially legalize the act in a limited form, not to ignore the fact that this is a violation of the law, in its current form.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  5. #85
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    My proposal was to partially legalize the act in a limited form, not to ignore the fact that this is a violation of the law, in its current form.
    what limitation would you impose upon it?

  6. #86
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    My proposal was to partially legalize the act in a limited form, not to ignore the fact that this is a violation of the law, in its current form.
    What makes you think the FBI would obey that law in view of the fact that they don't obey the laws we already have?

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    It's a minor privacy violation.
    Again, keep things in proportion, do not equalize phone record with bigger privacy violations such as my given example of monitoring.
    However, its not likely to keep in proportion.

    What you are suggesting probably woudln't have even been suggested reasonably a few years back. But we passed legislation to allow them a litle more leeway in the name of security and against the constitution and freedom to deal with terrorism. They then break the law, take even more leeway then we give them, and when they do it you turn around and go "Oh, that's reasonable, lets give them that".

    I see no reason not to believe that when we then give them that leeway they won't once again take it, reach even farther once again, and then if it proves at all helpful regardless of the freedom it infringes people like you will go "Oh just give them it".

    And repeat

    And repeat

    At some point you have to stand on principle.

  8. #88
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,174

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    what limitation would you impose upon it?
    Only when time is a vital factor, and when the suspect is suspected for something bigger than stealing candies from the grocery.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  9. #89
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,174

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    What makes you think the FBI would obey that law in view of the fact that they don't obey the laws we already have?
    Because the reason they don't obey the current law is because it is restricting them.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  10. #90
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,174

    Re: FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    However, its not likely to keep in proportion.

    What you are suggesting probably woudln't have even been suggested reasonably a few years back. But we passed legislation to allow them a litle more leeway in the name of security and against the constitution and freedom to deal with terrorism. They then break the law, take even more leeway then we give them, and when they do it you turn around and go "Oh, that's reasonable, lets give them that".

    I see no reason not to believe that when we then give them that leeway they won't once again take it, reach even farther once again, and then if it proves at all helpful regardless of the freedom it infringes people like you will go "Oh just give them it".

    And repeat

    And repeat

    At some point you have to stand on principle.
    Principle is that the law is above everyone.
    Beyond that you're simply exaggerating.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •