Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

  1. #41
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Just for some clarification for this thread, the FCC was looking into and supporting Net Neutrality all the way back to Febuary of 2008.

    FCC says will act on Web neutrality if needed | Reuters
    That makes sense since the appointees from Bush are still there. But that also means that the White House position has not changed though the President has changed. I rather like the internet being a 21st century wild west in some aspects... I'd hate to see it tied down with internet police.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #42
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    That makes sense since the appointees from Bush are still there. But that also means that the White House position has not changed though the President has changed. I rather like the internet being a 21st century wild west in some aspects... I'd hate to see it tied down with internet police.
    The FCC is not trying to tie it down, they are trying to make it so that ISPs can't tie it down.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I rather like the internet being a 21st century wild west in some aspects... I'd hate to see it tied down with internet police.
    Yet it is the ISPs, not the FCC, trying to tie down the internet. The ISPs are the ones trying to censor websites.

    Did you not read the article?

  4. #44
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yet it is the ISPs, not the FCC, trying to tie down the internet. The ISPs are the ones trying to censor websites.

    Did you not read the article?
    Ultimately ISP's can do whatever they choose per their own Terms and Conditions. If said ISP wanted to restrict and censor websites they could do that - however, that would drive a portion of their users to their competitors who do not censor. Therefore, they appeal to the FCC... whether or not the ISP want or do not want to do is irrelevant, since it comes down to the FCC to pass or not pass restrictions upon all.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #45
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Ultimately ISP's can do whatever they choose per their own Terms and Conditions. If said ISP wanted to restrict and censor websites they could do that - however, that would drive a portion of their users to their competitors who do not censor.
    Do you know how little competition there is in the ISP realm? Few people have the luxury of multiple providers, often because of local monopolies. I'd cheerfully switch from Comcast if I had the opportunity, but I don't. Also, they are using cables subsidized by taxpayers, so its reasonable for us to have some say in how they are used.

  6. #46
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Do you know how little competition there is in the ISP realm? Few people have the luxury of multiple providers, often because of local monopolies. I'd cheerfully switch from Comcast if I had the opportunity, but I don't. Also, they are using cables subsidized by taxpayers, so its reasonable for us to have some say in how they are used.
    It depends upon where you live. I live in a very densely populated state. I have Comcast, multiple DSL options, and data fiber options. So for me, and I would expect most of the North Eastern states, there are multiple options. Now that may not be the same in West Virgina, or Tennessee, or Nebraska, or Idaho. I think having a say is fine - but my point stands: Comcast can come out tomorrow and change their T&C's to say "no more bittorrent sites", they filter it at the network level, and no one can get there any longer. People who do have options will leave, others may (shudder) go back to dial-up in protest, others may seek alternatives like 3G data plans or setup a community WiFi with a T1 data connection with "dues" like I did in college.

    But I get your point and you do actually have options other than land based data - free WiFi and 3G data or even Wireless Edge network like EVDO is a slower option but an option.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •