Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

  1. #31
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes, there are 5 commissioners, appointed for 5 year terms, so I would guess that 4 of the 5 are Bush appointees. Now, can you show me where it says they are under the direction of Obama, because I cannot find it. In other words, can you document your claim?
    I don't have to document it, the White House already has.

    Federal Executive Branch: USA.gov

    The FCC is listed as part of the Executive Branch under "Independent Commissions and Governmental Corporations". That's the same group where the CIA resides, as well as the EPA, and NASA. The President also nominates, (as you stated) the FCC commissioners and then appoints one of those commissioners as the "Chairman".

    The LA Times didn't seem to be confused about the FCC's role in the following article where they clearly identify the FCC is going to go where Obama wants them to:

    Quote Originally Posted by LA Times
    That the FCC is looking at reevaluating how it measures media could be a good or bad thing for the industry depending on what direction the Obama administration wants to take. The consensus is that his FCC chairman, Julius Genachowski, will look more harshly on media concentration than the Bush and Clinton administrations did.
    LINK


    So just to be clear - are you saying that the FCC Chairman reports to no-one in the Federal Government and has independent power to do whatever he/she wants to do with consensus from the other 4 commissioners? Or are you saying they report to some other branch of government?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #32
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,322
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I don't have to document it, the White House already has.

    Federal Executive Branch: USA.gov

    The FCC is listed as part of the Executive Branch under "Independent Commissions and Governmental Corporations". That's the same group where the CIA resides, as well as the EPA, and NASA. The President also nominates, (as you stated) the FCC commissioners and then appoints one of those commissioners as the "Chairman".

    The LA Times didn't seem to be confused about the FCC's role in the following article where they clearly identify the FCC is going to go where Obama wants them to:



    LINK


    So just to be clear - are you saying that the FCC Chairman reports to no-one in the Federal Government and has independent power to do whatever he/she wants to do with consensus from the other 4 commissioners? Or are you saying they report to some other branch of government?
    You might want to go back and read your source. Nowhere on it does it list the FCC. Now, if you go to the FCC webpage, you find this description:

    The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.
    Source: About the Federal Communications Commission

    Further research led me to wiki: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_agencies_of_the_United_States_governme nt]Independent agencies of the United States government - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

    Independent agencies can be distinguished from the federal executive departments and other executive agencies by their structural and functional characteristics.[1] Congress can also designate certain agencies explicitly as "independent" in the governing statute, but the functional differences have more legal significance.[2]

    While most executive agencies have a single director, administrator, or secretary appointed by the President of the United States, independent agencies almost always have a commission, board, or similar collegial body consisting of five to seven members who share power over the agency.[1] (This is why many independent agencies include the word "Commission" or "Board" in their name). The President appoints the commissioners or board members, subject to Senate confirmation, but they often serve with staggered terms, and often for longer terms than a usual four-year Presidential term,[3] meaning most Presidents will not have the opportunity to appoint all the commissioners of a given independent agency. Normally the President can designate which Commissioner will serve as the Chairperson.[3] Normally there are statutory provisions limiting the President's authority to remove commissioners, typically for incapacity, neglect of duty, malfeasance, or other good cause.[4] In addition, most independent agencies have a statutory requirement of bipartisan membership on the commission, so the President cannot simply fill vacancies with members of his own political party.[3]
    Now, the FCC and most other independent agencies are considered to be part of the executive branch, but by design, they do not answer to the president. Some examples of other independent agencies will highlight this:

    The Commodity Futures Trading Commission
    The Federal Election Commission (FEC)
    The Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System

    Notice that in these cases, they do not turn to the president for direction.

    So, to summarize, the FCC is not on the page you linked, and the reason is it is an independent agency.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #33
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You might want to go back and read your source. Nowhere on it does it list the FCC.



    So, to summarize, the FCC is not on the page you linked, and the reason is it is an independent agency.
    It lists the FCC under "Independent Agencies and Government Corporations" which is under the Executive Branch... I mean it's clear as day so your argument has no bearing or relevance. It's a fact, it IS part of the Executive Branch.

    It IS linked on the page I provided:

    Home > Agencies > Federal Executive Branch > Independent Agencies and Government Corporations

    The nomination of the FCC reports to the President, who is the leader of the Executive Branch.


    So let me ask: Who does the FCC Chairman report to in the Federal Government or are you saying the FCC reports to no one?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,322
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    It lists the FCC under "Independent Agencies and Government Corporations" which is under the Executive Branch... I mean it's clear as day so your argument has no bearing or relevance. It's a fact, it IS part of the Executive Branch.

    It IS linked on the page I provided:

    Home > Agencies > Federal Executive Branch > Independent Agencies and Government Corporations

    The nomination of the FCC reports to the President, who is the leader of the Executive Branch.


    So let me ask: Who does the FCC Chairman report to in the Federal Government or are you saying the FCC reports to no one?
    Oh, I see why you did not link to the actual right page, it would have made your argument look weak.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by satandog View Post
    Councilman - really. Does this have anything to do with the topic?

    The FCC wants the authority to keep ISPs from blocking or downgrading internet traffic based on its use or source - as per the original topic of this thread.

    So the FCC wants to ensure that your ISP cannot interfere with traffic to favor its own content or the content of those companies that wish to pay for enhanced services.

    This seems so basic to me - perhaps I am missing something here? Are you suggesting that we rely on the good will of Comcast and ATT to keep things fair? Especially considering that these companies have monopolies on broad band cable in many parts of the country?

    Cable Television: An Unnatural Monopoly

    Cable Monopoly In the Making? Sure Looks That Way - Project Partners Wanted News Story
    It has everything to do with this topic because it goes to control of the only media source Obama and his Socialist disciples can't control yet, and history says that part of any manipulation of the population and of the truth through propaganda requires that control.
    Look at what Hugo Chavez has done and is doing.

    Of course you Obama worshipers can't see it because you're all brain washed into believing his lies and double speak. It is all part of the agenda to wreck this nation. He already has control over all TV news and most print and that is clear in their refusal to tell the truth about anything he does.

  6. #36
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Oh, I see why you did not link to the actual right page, it would have made your argument look weak.
    The reason you won't answer my question is because you're 100% wrong. Have a nice day!

    Here it is again, in case you want to try to make yourself save some face:


    So let me ask: Who does the FCC Chairman report to in the Federal Government or are you saying the FCC reports to no one?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #37
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The FCC works for Obama.
    Since we've established that Obama does indeed direct the FCC, there's some questions as to why he's not putting in his own appointees. The delay factor of Obama is curious. It may be that a change just isn't necessary for the FCC to push the White House position.

    But what is the White House position? Is it really to put more control over the internet like they did over telecommunications and radio?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #38
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    It has everything to do with this topic because it goes to control of the only media source Obama and his Socialist disciples can't control yet, and history says that part of any manipulation of the population and of the truth through propaganda requires that control.
    Look at what Hugo Chavez has done and is doing.

    Of course you Obama worshipers can't see it because you're all brain washed into believing his lies and double speak. It is all part of the agenda to wreck this nation. He already has control over all TV news and most print and that is clear in their refusal to tell the truth about anything he does.
    First he is a Nazi, now a socialist, what will you call him next in this thread, an evil space alien?

  9. #39
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,322
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Since we've established that Obama does indeed direct the FCC, there's some questions as to why he's not putting in his own appointees. The delay factor of Obama is curious. It may be that a change just isn't necessary for the FCC to push the White House position.

    But what is the White House position? Is it really to put more control over the internet like they did over telecommunications and radio?
    Actually, you have failed entirely to do this. Obama can appoint commissioners, and can appoint a commissioner as chairman, but you entirely failed to show that Obama directs the FCC. Does Obama direct the Fed? How about the FEC? These are the same type of independent agencies as the FCC.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #40
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: FCC looks at ways to assert authority over Web access

    Just for some clarification for this thread, the FCC was looking into and supporting Net Neutrality all the way back to Febuary of 2008.

    FCC says will act on Web neutrality if needed | Reuters

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •