Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 280

Thread: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I definitely think we should help them as much as we are able, regardless if they remember or not.
    I was watching ABC news, and they were talking about how supplies were sitting on an airstrip, waiting for the haiti government, UN, some other world food agency, and US military to coordinate drop off points for the water and other supplies.

    I'm sorry, but if I am a military commander put in charge of the operation, I would say **** my commision and just set the **** up myself and get the supplies to the people. If we are on the scene, we don't need to wait for permission from some bueracrats to save ****ing lives. When I saw the US army general talking about how they had to wait, I wanted to strangle the ****er myself. Get your **** together and do something now. A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  2. #12
    Student GI Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    269

    Re: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    That's not hte point of providing humanitarian aide.

    It might be related to it - but that's not the sole reason. People should always be willing to help people when they need help. I would want help if I was in a similar situation - sometimes your country just can't do everything for you.

    I think too many people IN the US are spoiled by our efficiency and simply don't know what it's like to really be **** up a creek.

    Very true
    This is not about getting recognition or political points for helping. Its about helping t
    You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind

    I'm a skinny little boy from cleveland ohio
    Come to chase your women and drink your beer

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Well, I could see providing aid to Iran as a method of improving our relations with it's people, if not it's leaders.

    In addition to the general moral positive of helping people in need.
    On the one hand I agree with you, but on the other, I ask...

    Why should we try to improve out relations with them? What do we have to prove to them? The United States is a free nation. We're a nation of rights and liberty. Iran is an oppressive theocracy. Why in God's name should we try to convince anyone of our virtues!? They should know. They should understand that we're not the bad guys. Americans are the most charitable, caring people on the planet. I'm sick of trying to get all these assholes to like us. They have no reason to hate us...and if they do hate us, then let's settle it.

  4. #14
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

    Laudable, but what are we using for money?

  5. #15
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Why should we provide aid to nations that hate us?

    If Iran gets a big bumpy like Haiti just did, why should the US help them at all? it's not going to get us anything, it will only aid them in their persistent quest for WMD's.

    If they don't like us when they're healthy, to hell with them when they're down.

    They'll only bite us again when they're back on their feet.

    Let some other nation be the world's patsy.
    I'll put it this way.

    I'm white, and being white there are quite a few black people who don't like me - but, if they are in need due to some natural disaster and I am capable of helping - I will help regardless of their feelings towards me and I won't expect them to kiss my ass for it.

    You guys are being dense and stubborn - advance. Sometimes how people feel about you shouldn't determine what you do for them.

    I hate my bank but still expect them to provide fair service.
    I hate Walmart but still expect to be able to shop htere.

    And you're drawing huge, vast and incorrect assumptions between the PEOPLE of Haiti who don't care about us - or who actually like us - and politicians.

    Not everyone has issues with us. What are we suppose to do? Give out questionaires and ask each person "do you like us" before we give aid?

    Or I guess you support just letting children die and rot. . . sounds barbaric and invasive, to me.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

    Quote Originally Posted by GI Joe View Post
    Very true
    This is not about getting recognition or political points for helping. Its about helping t
    What about the United States? What about our debt? What about our grandchildren? What has Haiti ever done for the US? What has Haiti ever done for themselves?

    Honestly, I could care less. We didn't do anything about Darfur, why do anything about this?

    Private charity is fine. The government should just take this opportunity to tell the rest of the world...

    Go to hell you ungrateful bastards. We're done bailing you out.

  7. #17
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    On the one hand I agree with you, but on the other, I ask...

    Why should we try to improve out relations with them? What do we have to prove to them? The United States is a free nation. We're a nation of rights and liberty. Iran is an oppressive theocracy. Why in God's name should we try to convince anyone of our virtues!? They should know. They should understand that we're not the bad guys. Americans are the most charitable, caring people on the planet. I'm sick of trying to get all these assholes to like us. They have no reason to hate us...and if they do hate us, then let's settle it.
    We don't have anything to prove.

    But, it couldn't hurt to have a population who likes us for helping them resisting being led against us by their leaders.

    And just think.

    If we suddenly stopped helping in the various disasters...then it would seem those who don't like us would point and say "SEE!!!, we told you!"
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #18
    Student GI Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    269

    Re: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    That's not hte point of providing humanitarian aide.

    It might be related to it - but that's not the sole reason. People should always be willing to help people when they need help. I would want help if I was in a similar situation - sometimes your country just can't do everything for you.

    I think too many people IN the US are spoiled by our efficiency and simply don't know what it's like to really be **** up a creek.

    Very true
    This is not about getting recognition or political points for helping. Its about helping those clearly suffering from a horrible disaster and stopping it from turning into an even greater humanitarian disaster than it already is. If Europe or any other place in the world ****s on us then **** em its their problem. I am sure the Haitian man in the street appreciates any help from anyone and could care less about the politics.
    You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind

    I'm a skinny little boy from cleveland ohio
    Come to chase your women and drink your beer

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I'll put it this way.

    I'm white, and being white there are quite a few black people who don't like me - but, if they are in need due to some natural disaster and I am capable of helping - I will help regardless of their feelings towards me and I won't expect them to kiss my ass for it.

    You guys are being dense and stubborn - advance. Sometimes how people feel about you shouldn't determine what you do for them.

    I hate my bank but still expect them to provide fair service.
    I hate Walmart but still expect to be able to shop htere.

    And you're drawing huge, vast and incorrect assumptions between the PEOPLE of Haiti who don't care about us - or who actually like us - and politicians.

    Not everyone has issues with us. What are we suppose to do? Give out questionaires and ask each person "do you like us" before we give aid?

    Or I guess you support just letting children die and rot. . . sounds barbaric and invasive, to me.
    The United States has its own problems, and that's the government's responsibility. If people want to donate privately then I commend them, but our government should concern itself with its job, i.e., the American people.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: US to deploy 10,000 troops in Haiti

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    We don't have anything to prove.
    Yea right. Why isn't anyone looking to China to sort this mess out?

    But, it couldn't hurt to have a population who likes us for helping them resisting being led against us by their leaders.
    They "like" us, so what? Who gives a crap?

    And just think.

    If we suddenly stopped helping in the various disasters...then it would seem those who don't like us would point and say "SEE!!!, we told you!"
    They do that anyway, hence my bitterness.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •