Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 98

Thread: Obama wants record $708 billion for military next year [edited]

  1. #11
    Student Maxientius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The United States of America
    Last Seen
    03-15-12 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    207

    Re: Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Wanna bet?

    I think we will see both the dems and reps voting for more money for this unconstitutional war.

    We have the best government money can buy.
    In what way is this war unconstitutional???????

  2. #12
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year

    The bottom line is: We cannot afford to continue to throw money into wars that we really shouldn't be in in the first place.

    You want to improve the financial situation of this country? Then stop spending billions of dollars fighting these endless wars.

    Seriously. People cry about the deficit and the state of the economy and then cheer loudly and think nothing about throwing billions of dollars into these wars.

    Seems a little inconsistent to me.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #13
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year

    It's because a lot of that is based in political partisanship. Large government, big brother government, interventionist government is a bad thing. It will grow faster and faster, steal more of our freedom, liberty, and money along the way. But many of the "conservatives" have abandoned their call for constrained and reasonable government in favor of fear, overreaction, and big brother politics.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The bottom line is: We cannot afford to continue to throw money into wars that we really shouldn't be in in the first place.

    You want to improve the financial situation of this country? Then stop spending billions of dollars fighting these endless wars.

    Seriously. People cry about the deficit and the state of the economy and then cheer loudly and think nothing about throwing billions of dollars into these wars.

    Seems a little inconsistent to me.
    Disneydude, the bottomline is that it is not funding for wars which is the greatest threat to our budget. It is funding for entitlements which is the problem.

    $145 billion to become $178 billion for the wars.

    $680 billion Medicare & Medicaid (23%)
    $612 billion Social Security (21%)

    Between 1966 and 2006, Medicare and Social Security grew from 16% of the budget to 40%. Defense declined from 43% to 20% of the budget during that period.
    Social Security spending will increase sharply over the next decades, largely due to the retirement of the baby boom generation.
    Spending on Medicare and Medicaid is projected to grow dramatically in coming decades. While the same demographic trends that affect Social Security also affect Medicare, rapidly rising medical prices appear a more important cause of projected spending increases.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_budget]United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]


    The real bottomline is that entitlement spending is unsustainable.
    Last edited by reefedjib; 01-14-10 at 01:54 PM.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year

    We're closing in on a trillion overall for the wars. If you add up everything for the time we've been there. If I had to choose, gun to the head, Medicare of the wars....I'm going with Medicare. It may suck, but it's at least based on saving lives instead of taking them.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #16
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post




    The real bottomline is that entitlement spending is unsustainable.
    Neither is war spending. SS tax is still taking in more than it's paying out and SS benifits go right back into the economy. War spending is money flushed down the toilet and is funded by taking money designated for other uses.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxientius View Post
    Simple reply: No. We cannot end a war we started without victory. The United States told the world when it sent troops to these countries that we wouldnt just go in, tear **** up, and pull out. We swore to put those countries back together. Pulling out makes us look weak, shows people we cant be trusted, and makes the Taliban 2-0 versus SuperPowers.

    Stay. Fight. Win. Let the pacifist idiots in this country move to France (cheap shot but deserved).
    1: We didn't start this war, Afghanistan did.

    2: Right, we shouldn't let the Democrats make Afghanistan into another Vietnam. They want to, but they shouldn't be allowed.

    3: Screw the world, we should do only what's in our interest. Since it's in our interest to finish the war in Afghanistan successfully, we should do what's needed. I think that starts with hauling the Panty Bomber out of the civillian court system and handing him over to the CIA for some serious waterboarding.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The bottom line is: We cannot afford to continue to throw money into wars that we really shouldn't be in in the first place.

    You want to improve the financial situation of this country? Then stop spending billions of dollars fighting these endless wars.

    Seriously. People cry about the deficit and the state of the economy and then cheer loudly and think nothing about throwing billions of dollars into these wars.

    Seems a little inconsistent to me.
    Ah, balls!


    What we can't afford is ****ing socialism. That's what's causing this country so much damage, the totally unfounded belief that the useless are owed a living by the productive.

    Want to fix the financial picture of this nation?

    Pass a law saying the Federal Reserve can't have a profit, all such monies revert to the US treasury, and that the US Congress controls the salaries and bonuses paid the Chairmen of the Board of the Federal Reserve. that's the first thing.

    Socialist security is unconstitutional. End it.

    There's a million special interest unconstitutional programs funded by stolen taxpayer dollars. End them.

    National defense is a constitutional mandate for the Federal Government. Since we're at war, do what is needed to win it. The first step? Elect a pro-American president and Congress for a change.

  9. #19
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Ah, balls!


    What we can't afford is ****ing socialism. That's what's causing this country so much damage, the totally unfounded belief that the useless are owed a living by the productive.

    Want to fix the financial picture of this nation?

    Pass a law saying the Federal Reserve can't have a profit, all such monies revert to the US treasury, and that the US Congress controls the salaries and bonuses paid the Chairmen of the Board of the Federal Reserve. that's the first thing.

    Socialist security is unconstitutional. End it.

    There's a million special interest unconstitutional programs funded by stolen taxpayer dollars. End them.

    National defense is a constitutional mandate for the Federal Government. Since we're at war, do what is needed to win it. The first step? Elect a pro-American president and Congress for a change.
    Oh please....spare me. You know how much of our budget goes to defense v. how little go to other programs?
    If we weren't continuing to throw billions of dollars at GWB's wars that are now becoming Obama's wars, we would be able to solve most if not all of the financial problems in this country.

    Its time that we start worrying about our own house rather than running around trying to fix everyone elses.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #20
    Hard As A Rock
    Strucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: Obama wants record $708 billion for wars next year

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post

    I think we will see both the dems and reps voting for more money for this unconstitutional war.
    Which one?
    "The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

    ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •