Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61

Thread: 59% Favor Racial, Ethnic Profiling For Airline Security [Title edited]

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: 59% Favor Racial, Ethnic Profiling For Airline Security [Title edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    To be frank, the terrorists seem like they've taken Reagan's cold war strategy and improved upon it. Rather than having to spend a ton to force the enemy to spend a ton until they go bankrupt, the terrorists are barely having to spend much of anything and yet are causing the U.S. to go deeper and deeper into debt as more and more big government, big spending people in government here just want to continue to throw cash at the problem.
    Oh my god, I agree with you.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 59% Favor Racial, Ethnic Profiling For Airline Security [Title edited]

    Case in point from Today's News!!

    The unidentified male passenger was apparently placed on a do-not-board list submitted to the TSA and CDC on January 8, 2010.
    Investigators are trying to determine how the noticeably ill man made it through security checkpoints and onto the flight.

    Sick Passenger On "Do Not Board" List Flies From Philly To San Francisco - cbs3.com

    If we want to increase security let's start by reading the damn no-fly list!!! - follow-through is much more of a problem than identifying threats.

  3. #43
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-12-10 @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10

    Re: 59% Favor Racial, Ethnic Profiling For Airline Security [Title edited]

    I don't think assessing the risk of passengers on a plane is much different than insurance companies assessing the risk of car accidents or how likely you are to die based on your race, health, age, etc.

  4. #44
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: 59% Favor Racial, Ethnic Profiling For Airline Security [Title edited]

    When flying back from Boston once, my ticket was red flagged and I was pulled aside at security and had to have every inch of my carry-on baggage rubbed down for residue, and I was forced into a machine that gave me a big ole full body blow job. The whole ordeal took about 20-30 minutes.

    Why? Because my itinerary changed at the last minute. Not by my doing, mind you (the airline switched my plane), but my itinerary had a last minute change. That sends out a red flag. That is also profiling. And, it can be a very effective tool. Not in my case, obviously, but I can see why it is their SOP and I don't have an issue with it.

  5. #45
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: 59% Favor Racial, Ethnic Profiling For Airline Security [Title edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    When flying back from Boston once, my ticket was red flagged and I was pulled aside at security and had to have every inch of my carry-on baggage rubbed down for residue, and I was forced into a machine that gave me a big ole full body blow job. The whole ordeal took about 20-30 minutes.

    Why? Because my itinerary changed at the last minute. Not by my doing, mind you (the airline switched my plane), but my itinerary had a last minute change. That sends out a red flag. That is also profiling. And, it can be a very effective tool. Not in my case, obviously, but I can see why it is their SOP and I don't have an issue with it.
    That kind of profiling is accepted and good, I absolutely agree. The OP is about 59% of Americans saying racial profiling would be acceptable.

    Again this is a sad day for America, personal liberty and freedom for all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: 59% Favor Racial, Ethnic Profiling For Airline Security [Title edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Oh my god, I agree with you.
    I don't know why your surprised....He is as liberal as you are, maybe more..........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: 59% Favor Racial, Ethnic Profiling For Airline Security [Title edited]

    Says the gentleman that is for:

    Expanding Government Size
    Expanding Government Power
    Expanding Government Spending
    Expanding Government involvement into private citizens lives
    Expanding Government degredation of the constitution

    You've yet, and never will, been able to show how I'm so dastardly liberal other than the fact I disagree with you that we need to full out racially profile people.


  8. #48
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Poll on profiling

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Just remember when you said this, NP:



    Remember, you can't have it both ways. When one poll supports your position, and another does not, either they are both valid, or the both are not.

    As to the OP. I think profiling is a poor word... or a word that has gotten a lot of negativity to surround it. If during the matter of a few years, several terrorist attacks on airplanes are performed by blonde-headed men, it makes sense to be more suspicious of blonde-headed men on airplanes. That does not mean that all blonde-headed men should not be allowed to fly... or should be harassed. But it stands to reason to be more aware when you see a blonde-headed man going on an airplane. This is not stereotyping. It is using past evidence to assist in making assessments.
    I think that's a bit of an overkill. No one is saying that all Arabs or all Scandinavian or all Asians should be blocked or suspected. It's about trends and subtle details that become characteristic of those who commit terrorist acts.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #49
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: 59% Favor Racial, Ethnic Profiling For Airline Security [Title edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Says the gentleman that is for:

    Expanding Government Size
    Expanding Government Power
    Expanding Government Spending
    Expanding Government involvement into private citizens lives
    Expanding Government degredation of the constitution

    You've yet, and never will, been able to show how I'm so dastardly liberal other than the fact I disagree with you that we need to full out racially profile people.

    I'm not sure whom you speak of, but I'll respond to the last sentence. There is nothing wrong with profiling, except that the guilty and PC object the most. For all I know I'm being profiled at the airport and don't even know it. Will there be some false alarms, yes, but the stereotype of the white grandmother being strip searched while 100 arabs fly through security has got to end. As yet not a single white grand mother has committed a serious crime onboard an aircraft but yet the stereotype exists. Like it or not stereotype have truth to them.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #50
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: 59% Favor Racial, Ethnic Profiling For Airline Security [Title edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I think that's a bit of an overkill. No one is saying that all Arabs or all Scandinavian or all Asians should be blocked or suspected. It's about trends and subtle details that become characteristic of those who commit terrorist acts.
    Actually, many have suggested it on this vary forum. If you must I'll go find the recent quotes. Some suggested full search, including cavity searches, for any muslims flying. Others jokingly suggested we may as well just electricute all muslims as they come through.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I'm not sure whom you speak of, but I'll respond to the last sentence. There is nothing wrong with profiling, except that the guilty and PC object the most. For all I know I'm being profiled at the airport and don't even know it.
    You likely are. PROFILING, as a larger process that takes into account mutliple factors and takes into account the usefulness of said factors based on how potentially common they are compared to the chance that they're a telling sign, is not generally a bad thing. Its when you make ethnicity/race a major, or your primary, means of deciding your profile.

    Go check for a thread I made about profiling in the polls section recently, you'll find my view. Race or ethnicity, as a small factor in a much BROADER profile isn't a bad thing in this case in my mind due to reality. You can't make it a BIG factor due to the pit falls of full out ethnic profiling and the tendnacy for focusing heavily on something causing you to focus less on other issues. However, this is a far cry from the over the top full out religious/ethnic profiling and immediete assumed suspision that some have wanted simply for someone looking "arab", "muslim", or as right coined the phrase "terroristy".

    Additionally those in favor of broadscale racial profiling generally go too far with their argument which is why they tend to get push back. It is FAR from a fail proof method, like they try to act. They bring it up massively after the most recent attack, however ethnic profiling wouldn't have caught this guy unless you're suggesting to stop everyone BUT white people. Others point out that spending the money to potentially train MORE people in profiling, as some have suggested, would be a waste of money because we are failing to properly use the procedures we have NOW and so adding another procedure isn't practical nor worth while unless your desire is more just to ostracize muslims and make it easier for you to travel, making it obvious its less about saftey and more about your convienence.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •