Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 665

Thread: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

  1. #391
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am not sure, depends on details we will never know, which is what he was thinking when he said it.

    Really? Do Demos give repubs that kind of leeway when they have a "slip of the tongue"???


    Hmmm....Let's see....


    Senator Mary Landrieu

    "...it's up to Senate Republicans to decide whether Lott should give up his leadership job. 'I can tell you if a Democratic leader said such a thing, they would not be allowed to keep their position...."


    Senator Barbara Boxer

    "His apology does not take away the sting of his divisive words, nor the pain inflicted on millions of African Americans under segregation...."


    Senator Hillary Clinton

    "Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, said the GOP must decide whether Lott 'represents the views of the majority of Republicans in the Senate and in our country."


    Senator Dianne Feinstein


    "When connected to past comments and votes, this statement casts a dark shadow over Sen. Lott's ability to be a credible party leader..."


    That is just a few as seen here, Reflections on Dem statements about Lott when Trent Lott made his statement and demo's jumped with both feet to get him thrown out of the leadership.

    Should repubs start saying such things? Should we be questioning whether or not Reid's statement, and as of yesterday his declaration that was all he was going to say on the matter, does that reflect the sentiments of the demo senate as a whole? Doesn't Reid now cast a "dark shadow" over the ability of him to be a credible leader? Or is it just one giant double standard.

    Stephen A. Smith said yesterday:

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvrduao7gn8&feature=player_embedded#"]YouTube- Anthony A Smith calls for Harry Reid to Resign[/ame]

    I think repubs should take a page out of the liberal playbook and hang this around their necks in neon!

    is it racist to say that an American of Arabic descent would have a hard time getting elected to president if they looked very Arabic? Is it true?

    That would depend on who is saying such things? Obviously as we saw with Joe Biden:

    "In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkiní Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. Iím not joking."

    Read more: Sen. Joe Biden Commits Racial Slur, Where's the Outrage? | NewsBusters.org


    But if it were say Cheney that had said that, My goodness, the earth shattering whale would have been heard around the world......

    Give us a break.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #392
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    What Reid said is a racist statement clearly.........If a Republican made the same statement the press would crucify him............
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  3. #393
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    J-Mac, I express my own personal opinions, not the opinions of any one else. Further, those are different situations with different comments. Feel free to ask me about those and I will give you my opinion.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #394
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm not following your point... expand?
    Well, you said:

    Well then a more appropriate comparison would be saying candidate has a shot at the presidency because he's "well groomed" and doesn't dress like an Arab unless he needs to.
    The implication there, whether intended or not, is that the Arab style of grooming is not "well groomed".

    You are comparing "well groomed" to the "light skinned" portion of Reid's quote, but it's more appropriately compared to the "Negro dialect" portion.

    The most appropriate comparison would be "candidate has a shot at the presidency because he dresses like a westerner and is fairly 'well-groomed' unless he needs to look more Arab."

    That's basically what I was trying to say, but I did so in a poor fashion.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #395
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Well then a more appropriate comparison would be saying candidate has a shot at the presidency because he's "well groomed" and doesn't dress like an Arab unless he needs to.
    You are saying here that Arabs are not well groomed, which could be considered racist, since many arabs are in fact well groomed for their culture.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #396
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Well, you said:



    The implication there, whether intended or not, is that the Arab style of grooming is not "well groomed".

    You are comparing "well groomed" to the "light skinned" portion of Reid's quote, but it's more appropriately compared to the "Negro dialect" portion.

    The most appropriate comparison would be "candidate has a shot at the presidency because he dresses like a westerner and is fairly 'well-groomed' unless he needs to look more Arab."

    That's basically what I was trying to say, but I did so in a poor fashion.
    Ah, yes. I should have made myself clear, I too had been thinking the "well groomed" was more analogous to "Negro dialect" - both comparisons, actually. What I wrote doesn't work well as a 1-to-1 with Reid's statement, it was more to illustrate that there's more to it than simply "stating facts" - as you said, such statements can imply other things.

  7. #397
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    Since when is it wrong to speak the truth?....
    So you believe it to be the truth that blacks speak differently from whites? So would that make Obama some how less black?

  8. #398
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You are saying here that Arabs are not well groomed, which could be considered racist, since many arabs are in fact well groomed for their culture.
    I was trying to use the examples you provided as to what makes someone appear "very Arab".

    1. Does being well groomed make you appear "very Arab" (and therefore unlikely to be elected)?
    2. Or, is it that "not well groomed" makes you appear "very Arab" (and therefore unlikely to be elected)?

  9. #399
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Bad analogy. There is no fat/white/Italian stereotype.
    Tony Soprano?

  10. #400
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I was trying to use the examples you provided as to what makes someone appear "very Arab".

    1. Does being well groomed make you appear "very Arab" (and therefore unlikely to be elected)?
    2. Or, is it that "not well groomed" makes you appear "very Arab" (and therefore unlikely to be elected)?
    Well groomed has nothing to do with it. Grooming would refer to choice of hair and facial hair styles. The fact that you went with "well groomed" shows a bias within you, which could be deemed racist. See how tricky it can be to pick your words?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •