Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 665

Thread: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

  1. #381
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones View Post
    It was racist against decent human beings of all color - the guy is nothing but a little racist turd who needs to be flushed.

    The most interesting part is watching all the Blacks, to include Obama, throw on their Uncle Tom suits for the asshole - dumb is as dumb does.
    You condemn Reid for using an outdated racial term without animus and then turn around and condemn Obama using another racial term.

    Awesome.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #382
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I don't think the idea behind his statement is racist, I think the way he phrased it gave us a look into the prejudices and biases that he holds, consciously or not.

    It's a pretty indisputable fact that if Obama were as black as midnight and talked like a Southern Baptist Preacher, he would not have been elected. Saying that is not racist.

    However, referring to his manner of speaking as not being a "negro dialect" indicates that Sen. Reid thinks in those terms. I don't think that necessarily means he's a racist, but it means that he thinks differently than most progressive people would like to admit and in a way that many might find offensive.
    Thank you for explaining what I was saying, but better and more clearly.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #383
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I don't think the idea behind his statement is racist, I think the way he phrased it gave us a look into the prejudices and biases that he holds, consciously or not.

    However, referring to his manner of speaking as not being a "negro dialect" indicates that Sen. Reid thinks in those terms. I don't think that necessarily means he's a racist, but it means that he thinks differently than most progressive people would like to admit and in a way that many might find offensive.
    So glad to see that you finally agree! (see post 118)

  4. #384
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am not sure, depends on details we will never know, which is what he was thinking when he said it. Think of it this way though...is it racist to say that an American of Arabic descent would have a hard time getting elected to president if they looked very Arabic? Is it true?
    I'm not sure it's a meaningful comparison because it doesn't play into a stereotype - I'm not even sure what "very Arabic" means, are you referring to clothing?

  5. #385
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm not sure it's a meaningful comparison because it doesn't play into a stereotype - I'm not even sure what "very Arabic" means, are you referring to clothing?
    Dress, grooming, features.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #386
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Dress, grooming, features.
    Well then a more appropriate comparison would be saying candidate has a shot at the presidency because he's "well groomed" and doesn't dress like an Arab unless he needs to.

  7. #387
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Well then a more appropriate comparison would be saying candidate has a shot at the presidency because he's "well groomed" and doesn't dress like an Arab unless he needs to.
    Being groomed in the Arab fashion isn't the same as not being well-groomed.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #388
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    It's a pretty indisputable fact that if Obama were as black as midnight and talked like a Southern Baptist Preacher, he would not have been elected.
    Indisputable fact?? Really?

    I totally disagree. Obama's charisma and attraction does not come from his light skin and monotone voice. In fact, his most memorable speeches are those in which HE DOES shift to a more "preacherly" tone.
    Last edited by Taylor; 01-12-10 at 03:34 PM.

  9. #389
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    531

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    You condemn Reid for using an outdated racial term without animus and then turn around and condemn Obama using another racial term.

    Awesome.
    It was the Dems who called Powell and Rice Uncle Toms - I am merely pointing that out - and pointing out that they are the pot calling the kettle Black (pun intended).
    Last edited by Tom Jones; 01-12-10 at 03:36 PM.

  10. #390
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Being groomed in the Arab fashion isn't the same as not being well-groomed.
    I'm not following your point... expand?

Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •