Page 36 of 67 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 665

Thread: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

  1. #351
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    "Hangman's Grove?".....

  2. #352
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    531

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    I assume since you posted a satirical not-true article with the word "satire" highlighted in it the URL that you are trying to be funny. I'd hate to think that you said "here's some honesty for you" while being dishonest, after all.
    Satire is an art - anyway........


    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actual_and_alleged_Ku_Klux_Klan_members_in_United_ States_politics]Actual and alleged Ku Klux Klan members in United States politics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    Last edited by Tom Jones; 01-12-10 at 01:40 PM.

  3. #353
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Sorry I didn't read all the posts but here's how I see it:

    Reid spoke like a 70 year old guy from a Mormon culture would speak; it's more of the language of someone who is kind of clueless as opposed to racist.

    After all, if you boil down what he said, it's pretty much "Americans won't elect a dark skinned black man who speaks like Jesse Jackson, but they will elect this guy."

    I don't see that as racist. In fact, I agree with it, at least for the present.

    To compare him to Trent Lott, who said that if we had a segregationist racist President we wouldn't have all these troubles these days is ridiculous.

    And I will be glad when Senator Byrd goes as well.

  4. #354
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Last Seen
    07-07-11 @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    406

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Because Reid's comment was a derogatory that it suggests that a black man that doesn't meet his description is a rarity.

    Comment about serving coffee is actually true though he should have said decades and not years.
    Well that sounds like cherry picking minor details.

    Let's just face it...no Republican or conservative can make these sort of remarks ("poor choice of words"), or anything remotely similar, without the "Justice Brothers" and the rest of the Left labeling them racist.

    It is just the way it is.

  5. #355
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Telecaster View Post
    Well that sounds like cherry picking minor details.

    Let's just face it...no Republican or conservative can make these sort of remarks ("poor choice of words"), or anything remotely similar, without the "Justice Brothers" and the rest of the Left labeling them racist.

    It is just the way it is.
    No, It's not cherry picking. It's taking the statements in context. Read Groucho's post above to see the difference in their statements.

    Reid's in idiot for saying it, and for many other reasons, but his statements are not on the same scale as Lott's
    Last edited by Gibberish; 01-12-10 at 02:15 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  6. #356
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Sorry I didn't read all the posts but here's how I see it:

    Reid spoke like a 70 year old guy from a Mormon culture would speak; it's more of the language of someone who is kind of clueless as opposed to racist.

    After all, if you boil down what he said, it's pretty much "Americans won't elect a dark skinned black man who speaks like Jesse Jackson, but they will elect this guy."

    I don't see that as racist. In fact, I agree with it, at least for the present.

    To compare him to Trent Lott, who said that if we had a segregationist racist President we wouldn't have all these troubles these days is ridiculous.

    And I will be glad when Senator Byrd goes as well.
    Clearly Senator Reid thinks that white is superior to black. Obama is better than a black without Obama's lighter skin. And non black whiter way of speaking.

    Seems we still have a way to go.

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    531

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Telecaster View Post
    Well that sounds like cherry picking minor details.

    Let's just face it...no Republican or conservative can make these sort of remarks ("poor choice of words"), or anything remotely similar, without the "Justice Brothers" and the rest of the Left labeling them racist.

    It is just the way it is.
    That's right - especially the Black community - they tried to label Powell and Rice as Uncle Toms - LOL - so far from the truth - but, it turns out that those who thought so are the ones who are the Uncle Toms for Reid.

  8. #358
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    If I say that Americans won't elect a fat white guy who speaks with an Italian accent, is that racist or just acknowledging what is probably true?

  9. #359
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    531

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    If I say that Americans won't elect a fat white guy who speaks with an Italian accent, is that racist or just acknowledging what is probably true?
    It's racist.

  10. #360
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,167

    Re: Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    If I say that Americans won't elect a fat white guy who speaks with an Italian accent, is that racist or just acknowledging what is probably true?
    Bad analogy. There is no fat/white/Italian stereotype.

Page 36 of 67 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •