Page 91 of 184 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 910 of 1834

Thread: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

  1. #901
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Really. So you can read minds now? Fascinating.

    You are pretty much alone in this contention, by the way.
    I don't have to read minds..........He was the president's lawyer to the SCOTUS until he stepped down.you need to catch up........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #902
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    If so, why is the Constitution based on these Biblical truths?
    Not again!

    Um ... because it's NOT?

  3. #903
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Let's cement those goal posts, shall we?

    Conservative - Conservapedia

    A conservative adheres to principles of limited government, personal responsibility and moral values, agreeing with George Washington's Farewell Address that "religion and morality are indispensable supports" to political prosperity.

    Former President Ronald Reagan said:

    * The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom . . .

    Ronald Reagan, the 40th President of the United States, is the epitome of American conservatism.

    The sine qua non of a conservative is someone who rises above his personal self-interest and promotes moral and economic values beneficial to all, rather than to themselves as liberals promote. Alternatively, a conservative is willing to learn and advocate the insights of economics and the morality of the Bible for the benefit of all as is well known the Bible is the ultimate standard in logic. Specifically, conservatives seek or support:

    * Classroom prayer
    * Prohibition of abortion
    * Abstinence education
    * Traditional marriage, not same-sex marriage
    * Respect for differences between men and women, boys and girls
    * Laws against pornography
    * The Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms
    * Economic allocative efficiency (as opposed to popular equity)
    * The death penalty
    * Parental control of education
    * Private medical care and retirement plans
    * Canceling failed social support programs
    * No world government
    * Enforcement of current laws regarding immigration
    * Respect for our military ... past and present
    * Rejection of junk science such as evolutionism and global warming
    * Low taxes, especially for families
    * Conferderationism (less power for the federal government and more for local and state governments)
    * A strong national defense


    ***
    For gay 'marriage to be a Conservative issue, it must be a selfless institution at least loosely based on biblical morals.

    I can argue it because I actually believe what I say. You can't argue it because the argument is not but a means to an end for you.
    Last edited by Jerry; 01-11-10 at 12:15 AM.

  4. #904
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I don't have to read minds..........He was the president's lawyer to the SCOTUS until he stepped down.you need to catch up........
    And that has what to do with him no longer being a conservative??

  5. #905
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Let's cement those goal posts, shall we?

    Conservative - Conservapedia

    A conservative adheres to principles of limited government, personal responsibility and moral values, agreeing with George Washington's Farewell Address that "religion and morality are indispensable supports" to political prosperity.

    Former President Ronald Reagan said:

    * The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom . . .

    Ronald Reagan, the 40th President of the United States, is the epitome of American conservatism.

    The sine qua non of a conservative is someone who rises above his personal self-interest and promotes moral and economic values beneficial to all, rather than to themselves as liberals promote. Alternatively, a conservative is willing to learn and advocate the insights of economics and the morality of the Bible for the benefit of all as is well known the Bible is the ultimate standard in logic. Specifically, conservatives seek or support:

    * Classroom prayer
    * Prohibition of abortion
    * Abstinence education
    * Traditional marriage, not same-sex marriage
    * Respect for differences between men and women, boys and girls
    * Laws against pornography
    * The Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms
    * Economic allocative efficiency (as opposed to popular equity)
    * The death penalty
    * Parental control of education
    * Private medical care and retirement plans
    * Canceling failed social support programs
    * No world government
    * Enforcement of current laws regarding immigration
    * Respect for our military ... past and present
    * Rejection of junk science such as evolutionism and global warming
    * Low taxes, especially for families
    * Conferderationism (less power for the federal government and more for local and state governments)
    * A strong national defense


    ***
    For gay 'marriage to be a Conservative issue, it must be a selfless institution at least loosely based on biblical morals.

    I can argue it because I actually believe what I say. You can't argue it because the argument is not but a means to an end for you.
    You are mixing up Conservatives with Neoconservatives.

  6. #906
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    You are mixing up Conservatives with Neoconservatives.
    "Conservative" covers all sub-types of Conservative just as American covers all sub-types of Americans.

  7. #907
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Not again!

    Um ... because it's NOT?
    What did they do? Ban you at WS?
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  8. #908
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,698

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    My summary is entirely consistent with what she says:


    My point was that while many researchers claim there is "no difference" - other researchers rexamining the data may disagree. In this instance, the authors detail several differences that they interpret in a positive light.

    People can read the article for themselves to determine whether or not they agree that the differences are positive.
    So, can we agree that these differences could be, on a large scale, similar to the differences one might find in two successful families... both of which do well, but do so differently?


    I left the interpretation up to the reader, who can read about the differences themselves and interpret as they wish (positive/negative/neutral). In the article it's true that Stacey interprets many of these as benefits, not mere differences.
    If you left the interpretation to the reader, you would not have made this point:

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Actually, that's not true.

    You claimed earlier that "there is no correlation between children of same sex couple being more likely to become gay" - there indeed has been some work that disputes that. See for example: Stacey, J. & Biblarz, T.J. (2001). (How) does the sexual orientation of parents matter? American Sociological Review, 66, 159-183.
    http://www.soc.iastate.edu/soc522a/P...ngs/Stacey.pdf

    These are pro-gay marriage authors who (in reviewing existing research) conclude that evidence exists for at least a small positive correlation between parental sexual orientation and that of their children.

    Other researchers have also pointed to articles that claim "no difference" in their abstracts, but apparent differences in the data.
    Now, I am still curious as to how YOU would interpret the data from the study.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #909
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,698

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Didn't look at this thread much today. From my perception, seems like there is a lot of misinterpretation going on from both sides.

    Jerry and I have argued from the family perspective of GM for quite a while. This is the "winning" position. My view is, probably, a little more flexible. Research shows that marriage is both individually healthy and societally healthy regardless of children... though children seal the deal. Government wants a stable society, so that the society will grow and remain established. This can best come about through a healthy populace (physical and emotional), financial and situational stability, and the rearing of children, all of which best occur through marriage. IF children are present, they are best served in a two parent household, regardless of the sex of the parents. However, the benefits to the individuals and society at large are still present in the absence of children.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #910
    Borg Commander roderic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Thailand
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    879

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Let's cement those goal posts, shall we?

    Conservative - Conservapedia
    Conservapedia?
    You must be either joking or be really desperate to quote from a 'source' like this.

    let's have a quick look at this smut:
    The sine qua non of a conservative is someone who rises above his personal self-interest and promotes moral and economic values beneficial to all, rather than to themselves as liberals promote.
    Liberals promote "moral and economic values beneficial" to themselves?

    Alternatively, a conservative is willing to learn and advocate the insights of economics and the morality of the Bible for the benefit of all as is well known the Bible is the ultimate standard in logic.
    On which planet does this guy live?

    Specifically, conservatives seek or support:

    * Classroom prayer
    ...
    Wow, really? I doubt this is true even for US conservatives.

    ***
    For gay 'marriage to be a Conservative issue, it must be a selfless institution at least loosely based on biblical morals.
    What's a "selfless intitution", is hetero marriage one?
    "REGRETTABLE NECESSITY, n. An avoidable atrocity. The term is often employed by presidents and prime ministers when announcing bombings of civilian targets and invasions of small countries."
    óChaz Bufe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •