Page 81 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 810 of 1834

Thread: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

  1. #801
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    This whole gay marriage thing is nothing but a farce dreamed up by a few militant gays and a bunch of "Feel Good" liberals......There is and openly gay guy on our golf team and a good friend of mine..(He is also our best golfer)....Sadly he lost his partner to AIDS recently.I even went to the funeral........He says he and most of his gay friends would be perfectly happy with civil unions with equal right...(that is exactly what I advocate) He wishes that the activists would just shut up about gay marriage because it is hurting the cause in that it is hurting the movement for civil unions because it turning off straight people who might be sympathetic to their cause of civil unions............

    I totally agree with him because it is even starting to turn me off...........
    Last edited by Navy Pride; 01-09-10 at 11:11 PM.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #802
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,073

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The Constitution is built on the concept of "rule of the people," or society--that each person has the right to affect the laws. Please point out how this is reflected in the Bible? Or how this is influenced by the Bible?

    You mite want to check out this reading list as well...

    Classical Influences on US Constitution

    Any more questions?
    one. if we are discussing "influences on the Constitution", would it be fair to consider the beliefs of the Founding Fathers themselves as to the nature of that Constitution?

    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. -John Adams

    Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. - George Washington

    "A Bible and a newspaper in every house, a good school in every district -
    all studied and appreciated as they merit - are the principle support of virtue, morality, and civil liberty."
    - Benjamin Franklin

    and so forth. the founding fathers themselves were fully familiar and comfortable with public faith (if not public sects; which they were against at the federal level).

  3. #803
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,494

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    None of this predates the bible. Do I need to give you a history lesson, or do you google?
    Yes all of it does, are you that ignorant or just playing stupid? Everything in history is a chain of events. One leading to the next. The basic concepts of property etc that we have today started in Babylon.

    Now I have posted proof that the Constitution has pretty much nothing to do with the Bible.

    If you can show otherwise (and I know you can't) please do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #804
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,494

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    one. if we are discussing "influences on the Constitution", would it be fair to consider the beliefs of the Founding Fathers themselves as to the nature of that Constitution?

    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. -John Adams

    Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. - George Washington

    "A Bible and a newspaper in every house, a good school in every district -
    all studied and appreciated as they merit - are the principle support of virtue, morality, and civil liberty."
    - Benjamin Franklin

    and so forth. the founding fathers themselves were fully familiar and comfortable with public faith (if not public sects; which they were against at the federal level).
    Oh please, don't even try that tired old crap around here. People can go quote for quote saying the exact opposite.

    Here let me show you...

    "Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind."- John Adams,

    "The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion - George Washington

    "Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." - Benjamin Franklin

    Please use the search function.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #805
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,494

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    This whole gay marriage thing is nothing but a farce dreamed up by a few militant gays and a bunch of "Feel Good" liberals......There is and openly gay guy on our golf team and a good friend of mine..(He is also our best golfer)....Sadly he lost his partner to AIDS recently.I even went to the funeral........He says he and most of his gay friends would be perfectly happy with civil unions with equal right...(that is exactly what I advocate) He wishes that the activists would just shut up about gay marriage because it is hurting the cause in that it is hurting the movement for civil unions because it turning off straight people who might be sympathetic to their cause of civil unions............

    I totally agree with him because it is even starting to turn me off...........
    I absolutely agree. Why didn't you just say this in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #806
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Actually, that's not true.

    You claimed earlier that "there is no correlation between children of same sex couple being more likely to become gay" - there indeed has been some work that disputes that. See for example: Stacey, J. & Biblarz, T.J. (2001). (How) does the sexual orientation of parents matter? American Sociological Review, 66, 159-183.
    http://www.soc.iastate.edu/soc522a/P...ngs/Stacey.pdf

    These are pro-gay marriage authors who (in reviewing existing research) conclude that evidence exists for at least a small positive correlation between parental sexual orientation and that of their children.

    Other researchers have also pointed to articles that claim "no difference" in their abstracts, but apparent differences in the data.
    Actually, what I said is true. I've read the study that you posted several times in the past because it often gets thrown at me. It does NOT say what you seem to be claiming it says, but let's try this: you tell me what you think the study proves.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #807
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    Where did those laws originate?
    Irrelevant. They no longer exist.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #808
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,494

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You're confusing me with someone else.
    "It certainly can be. We have lots of laws that discriminate based on gender." - Taylor

    Yes someone is confused, but it is not me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #809
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Yes, I think we are going round and round in circles here because I know that a child growing up with a father and mother is more successful then on with 2 fathers or 2 mothers...I know you guys on the left don't like "Its common sense" but it really is my friend.........A mother provides certain qualities that a father can not and vice versa and to argue that is not so is just ridiculous.....If a child did not do better with a father and a mother then God would have not set it up that way.............

    .If this country only had gay people in it then it would be doomed because no children would ever be born..........A mother and a father is the natural way......
    We're going to go round and round on this, NP, and you won't see me back off. What you call "common sense" gets trumped by facts and statistics. Long ago, "common sense" was that the earth was flat. Facts proved this inaccurate. Same concept as here.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #810
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    This whole gay marriage thing is nothing but a farce dreamed up by a few militant gays and a bunch of "Feel Good" liberals......There is and openly gay guy on our golf team and a good friend of mine..(He is also our best golfer)....Sadly he lost his partner to AIDS recently.I even went to the funeral........He says he and most of his gay friends would be perfectly happy with civil unions with equal right...(that is exactly what I advocate) He wishes that the activists would just shut up about gay marriage because it is hurting the cause in that it is hurting the movement for civil unions because it turning off straight people who might be sympathetic to their cause of civil unions............

    I totally agree with him because it is even starting to turn me off...........
    It's interesting, NP. I agree 100% with this post... and have been professing this position for years. I just see your position on this as inconsistent with also believing that children in a single sex household can do as well as those in an opposite sex household.

    No matter, though. See? Ultimately, we are on the same side, here.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •