Page 148 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1834

Thread: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

  1. #1471
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Marriage won't ever be threatened as long as We the People continue to define it.

    Thats what those opposing inter-racial marriage thought at the time as well.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #1472
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No Charles...you have demonstrated a total lack of ability to stay on point. You have demonstrated a total lack of ability to comprehend an argument. You have demonstrated a talent for claiming your opinion to be fact and then completely failing to offer any form of relevant evidence for why we should take your opinion as fact.
    But, not a single question of mine has been answered. Still not a single point I've made taken to task. That's telling. When the argument gets personal, your opponent has already won, jallman, we move on.

    it's called mirth.
    The Vikings could have won that game! What in the world is Favre doing throwing across his body and behind him, but then, he's just trying to make a play. Give New Orleans credit too, they went right after him. He looked like a stone being skipped across a lake on a few plays, Favre is a warrior....oh..what..you don't care about any of this? Cause I don't care about mirth either we'll move on.

    There is nothing to be emotional over because you have presented nothing that diminishes my arguments. And even if you had, you can ask anyone here...I would be inclined to look at your evidence and re-evaluate my stance.
    You still haven't answered any of my questions.

    1) Is same sex marriage 0-31 in referendum?
    2) Do you use the government to deny polygamy in your state?
    3) What other contracts do you deny in your state?

    But so far, your drivel has done nothing more than prove that you would argue with the very rain about where it comes from and get your ass on your shoulders when the sound of its patter on the rooftop didn't affirm your argument.
    That is the last bong hit for you.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  3. #1473
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Thats what those opposing inter-racial marriage thought at the time as well.
    Same old tired stale one liners from DD....Even though you are their starchest advocate I think they must be getting tired of them to..
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  4. #1474
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Why are gay couples begging the government for the right to use the word marriage again? Why don't they just use it? Who's going to stop them?

  5. #1475
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill They use to hid but many are out noy

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Good for you and who said they were....There are many good gay people that served in the military honorably....I still want to know what the **** your point is?
    I doubt you will ever get the point. The gays are honorable men and women. They fought for our rights and if I were ever a soldier I would be fighting for their rights. Just like they did for mine.

  6. #1476
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    But, not a single question of mine has been answered. Still not a single point I've made taken to task. That's telling. When the argument gets personal, your opponent has already won, jallman, we move on.
    You've not taken a single issue "to task". What you have done is erroneously claim that marriage doesn't have all the traits of other contracts, you've brought up a totally separate issue about incest and polygamy, and you've made other assertions that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

    The Vikings could have won that game! What in the world is Favre doing throwing across his body and behind him, but then, he's just trying to make a play. Give New Orleans credit too, they went right after him. He looked like a stone being skipped across a lake on a few plays, Favre is a warrior....oh..what..you don't care about any of this? Cause I don't care about mirth either we'll move on.
    Well if you don't care about emotional states of others, don't constantly bring them up as both an ad hom and a red herring.

    You still haven't answered any of my questions.

    1) Is same sex marriage 0-31 in referendum?
    2) Do you use the government to deny polygamy in your state?
    3) What other contracts do you deny in your state?
    1. Yes, but irrelevant to the argument that was being made.
    2. Yes, but irrelevant to the argument that was being made.
    3. Many, but irrelevant to the argument that was being made.

    That is the last bong hit for you.
    Reported.

  7. #1477
    Educator Winnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-22-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    822

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Why are gay couples begging the government for the right to use the word marriage again? Why don't they just use it? Who's going to stop them?
    Gay couples aren't begging to use the word "married". It isn't even about using the word. Many gay couples already call themselves "married". It's about the legal rights and privileges that accompany being legally married by the state.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

    -------------------------------------------------

  8. #1478
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Gay couples aren't begging to use the word "married". It isn't even about using the word. Many gay couples already call themselves "married". It's about the legal rights and privileges that accompany being legally married by the state.
    Oh. I was under the impression that in this particular case, the exact same legal rights and privileges were already afforded to them by civil unions.

  9. #1479
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Oh. I was under the impression that in this particular case, the exact same legal rights and privileges were already afforded to them by civil unions.
    Then you are under the wrong impression. There are 1138 rights afforded to married couples. Civil unions afford the participants some of those rights but one right in particular is missing: the freedom to travel between states and have that union remain in effect. Further, the federal government does not recognize civil unions at all for matters of inheritance and taxation.

    These are no small matters.

  10. #1480
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Then you are under the wrong impression. There are 1138 rights afforded to married couples. Civil unions afford the participants some of those rights but one right in particular is missing: the freedom to travel between states and have that union remain in effect. Further, the federal government does not recognize civil unions at all for matters of inheritance and taxation.

    These are no small matters
    Ah, I was just going off of this post on the first page.

    Truthfully, to me this is irrelevant. NJ already has civil unions which affords gay couples rights for adoptions, benefits, and other things that married couples have. Though my overall position is that the term "marriage" should be used only for religious purposes and all governmental unions should be "civil unions"... gay or straight, the way that NJ handles it currently, is fine by me. I'm not sure why this is a big deal.
    If CC was mistaken here, then I retract my argument.

    Why are there 1138 rights being denied to me because of my choice to remain unmarried?

    What is so special about gay couples that they deserve to leave the ranks of us here in the oppressed class and join the ranks of the oppressors?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •