Page 119 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1834

Thread: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

  1. #1181
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I would like to find a non religious person just once who is against same sex marriage. And I don't mean someone who is against all civilly recognized marriage, but someone who is just against same sex marriage who has no religion.

    Attachment 67109959
    I am not certain what you mean by "non-religious". I'll just provide answers that will probably catch all possible definitions.

    I am fairly certain Hindu religion doesn't speak to homosexuality, yet the hindus I know are all against gay marriage.

    While I believe in God, I have not been to church in 20 plus years - so, I am by no means religious. I don't believe gay marriage should be legal.

    Lastly, someone I used to work with is an atheist. He isa republican, and is against gay marriage. I haven't seen him since he left he job, so I guess it's possible he's changed. But, based on conversations i've had with him, I doubt it.
    Last edited by buck; 01-16-10 at 03:16 AM.

  2. #1182
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Bull. The first thing a religious person would want everyone to believe when it comes to a religious issue is that their religion has no bearing on what they believe. But feel free to make your non religious argument.
    You need to start accepting the fact that it is a moral issue and not necessarily a religions one for some.

    As I have said before I was against it even before I was a Christian.

    Many issues have no religious bearing on them for me like abortion. I think abortion should be a last resort and only used in cases on incest or rape. It has nothing to do with my religion at all. I assume this is true for others and other issues like gay marraige.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 01-16-10 at 03:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #1183
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I am fairly certain Hindu religion doesn't speak to homosexuality, yet the hindus I know are all against gay marriage.
    It depends on the type of Hinduism.

    Homosexuality and Hinduism - ReligionFacts

    While I believe in God, I have not been to church in 20 plus years - so, I am by no means religious. I don't believe gay marriage should be legal.
    You believe there shouldn't be same sex marriage why? I can't exactly determine whether you are against same sex marriage for a nonreligious reason if you don't provide your argument.

    Lastly, someone I used to work with is an atheist. He isa republican, and is against gay marriage. I haven't seen him since he left he job, so I guess it's possible he's changed. But, based on conversations i've had with him, I doubt it.
    Yay for hearsay.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 01-16-10 at 03:54 AM.

  4. #1184
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You need to start accepting the fact that it is a moral issue and not necessarily a religions one for some.

    As I have said before I was against it even before I was a Christian.

    Many issues have no religious bearing on them for me like abortion. I think abortion should be a last resort and only used in cases on incest or rape. It has nothing to do with my religion at all. I assume this is true for others and other issues like gay marraige.
    The only reason it is an issue is because religious people don't want homosexual relationships to be seen as legitimate. That is it.

    Frankly, you were probably ambivalent towards it before you were Christian and you only now think you were against now that you are Christian.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 01-16-10 at 03:57 AM.

  5. #1185
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Any arguments that it must lead to legalized pedophilia are easily dispensed with.

    Polygamy, not so much.
    Actually, the polygamy argument is pretty easily dispensed with, too.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #1186
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Why am I not allowed to make moral judgments?
    Who ever said you couldn't?

    I've argued both sides of the same sex marriage debate, and the reason and evidence lies with the same sex marriage side, but you guys only care about your own little moral judgments. So I'll make one.
    Why are we not allowed to make moral judgements?

    Polygamy is inherently degrading to society.
    How so?
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  7. #1187
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The only reason it is an issue is because religious people don't want homosexual relationships to be seen as legitimate. That is it.
    Because mankind only derives it's morals from religion.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Frankly, you were probably ambivalent towards it before you were Christian and you only now think you were against now that you are Christian.
    Frankly, not really.

    I know my history better than you. I know my thoughts better than you.

    So unless you have the ability to travel through time and read minds, your statement is garbage. It is an incorrect assumption.

    So using logic we can honestly say your statement is crap.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 01-16-10 at 10:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #1188
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It depends on the type of Hinduism.
    I only know of hinduism, what I have been told by the couple of practicioners (immigrants from India) I have talked to. They clearly indicated that their "bible" does not make any reference to homosexuality. Yet, even though they somehow think Obama is doing a good job, they are against gay marriage becoming legal.

    Yay for hearsay.
    I told you the truth about the atheist republican that was not in favor of gay marriage. Obviously, I have no proof to offer, so I'll just let you claim hearsay to anything that doesn't fit your view of what others are required to believe. I honestly only responded because I thought you were really curious to know if their were people that were against gay marriage, but were not religious. Obviously I was wrong.
    Last edited by buck; 01-16-10 at 11:59 AM.

  9. #1189
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,556

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, the polygamy argument is pretty easily dispensed with, too.
    Well, what's the easy dispensation?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #1190
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I'm sinking to your level. Now we can see eye to eye.
    You mean you got on a ladder and can finally see my face

    Says you. I've provided countless pieces of evidence that same sex marriage is beneficial to society. You guys simply ignore it. So I'll just state it until you either address the evidence I've presented or you prove me wrong, but we both know you will do neither.
    Actually we have responded to your so called evidence. They use questionnaires and voluntary couples as evidence and there wasn't a single one of your so called studies that didn't say much more research was needed so I would re-evaluate your factual conclusion about the "benefits" of gay marriage.

    You never provide factual evidence that same sex marriage is degrading to society. Why should I have to when you never do? But I found this to be a pretty good argument about polygamy...
    You have yet to prove its beneficial and you cannot answer the countless studies showing how poorly a child progresses under a single sex parent household.

    ...its about as good of evidence as you guys ever present to support your case.
    So you have no evidence supporting your bull**** claim about polygamy.

    Got it.
    Last edited by texmaster; 01-16-10 at 03:03 PM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •