Page 109 of 184 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1834

Thread: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

  1. #1081
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,505

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So what about the Full Faith and Credit clause?
    I have no problem with that. I have no problem if a state married a gay couple they should have the same rights in every state. This is guaranteed in the Constitution.

    My point was in the case of Civil Unions their is no reason not to do the same thing.

    Red does not like this answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #1082
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I have no problem with that. I have no problem if a state married a gay couple they should have the same rights in every state. This is guaranteed in the Constitution.

    My point was in the case of Civil Unions their is no reason not to do the same thing.

    Red does not like this answer.
    Okay fine while I disagree because that means as to what you said some Dixie State could enforce anti miscegenation laws in their State.

  3. #1083
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-12-10 @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    In my opinion it is all about the word. The word "marriage" means, in Western society, the union of one man and one woman. I am not sure why it is so important to force the meaning of the word to be changed. The word has meant the same thing for hundreds of years. We shouldn't change the meanings of words so that everyone feels included. Should we change the meaning of the word "citizen" so illegal immigrants feel included?

  4. #1084
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,505

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Okay fine while I disagree because that means as to what you said some Dixie State could enforce anti miscegenation laws in their State.
    Civil Unions from other states would have to be recognized whether it is legal or not in that state.

    It would still be up to each state as to whether or not civil unions being preformed are legal in that state.

    I see your point about the anti miscegenation laws, but see no way around it other than taking more power from the perspective states.

    Damned if we do, and damned if we don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #1085
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The Captain at DP.
    It IS a Star Trek reference. Good one.



    Of course they could, it does not change my view so people like "critical thought" can just keep waisting time.

    Two men is not, and will never be a marraige in my eyes.
    This is fair. Though I disagree with you, and I would hope that one of your intelligence would accept some of the evidence provided, I give you credit for admitting that your position is opinion and you stand by it. Kinda like a matter of faith. I can respect that... at least you don't hide behind misrepresentations. Good for you on being honest.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #1086
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You have yet to prove this? So far it is just your opinion from 8 out of 50 states. The rest of the states would disagree as some have even gone so far as to write it into there Constitutions.
    Hey, I already won. I proved that there was not a consensus on the definition of marriage. That is all I set out to do with my counterarguments.

    Which is pretty much what you tried to do.
    I tried to use an appeal of the majority fallacy by arguing that a minority of states recognize same sex marriage? Oooooooookay.

    No need, you are wrong according to the majority of the country and it's laws.
    So? I lived a few hundred years ago, then I would be wrong by the majority of the country if I tried to do away with slavery or allow women to vote. If I lived a few decades ago I would be wrong by the majority of this country if I tried to do away with laws against interracial marriage. Your fallacy proves nothing aside from the fact that you don't know how to use logic.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 01-13-10 at 12:25 AM.

  7. #1087
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,505

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Hey, I already won. I proved that there was not a consensus on the definition of marriage. That is all I set out to do with my counterarguments.


    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I tried to use an appeal of the majority fallacy by arguing that a minority of states recognize same sex marriage? Oooooooookay.


    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    So? I lived a few hundred years ago, then I would be wrong by the majority of the country if I tried to do away with slavery or allow women to vote. If I lived a few decades ago I would be wrong by the majority of this country if I tried to do away with laws against interracial marriage. Your fallacy proves nothing aside from the fact that you don't know how to use logic.
    What ever you say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #1088
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    What ever you say.
    I'm curious. Why don't you just live by your religious beliefs yourself? Why do you have to impose them on others? Why can't you just let people who aren't hurting anyone live their own lives the way they want to live them? How is same sex marriage going to hurt your marriage?
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 01-13-10 at 12:47 AM.

  9. #1089
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,505

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I'm curious. Why don't you just live by your religious beliefs yourself? Why do you have to impose them on others? Why can't you just let people who aren't hurting anyone live their own lives the way they want to live them? How is same sex marriage going to hurt your marriage?
    You think this is just about religion? That is a pretty typical response. I don't mean that in a bad way, it just is.

    It is part of it, but even before I was a Christian, I was against same sex marraige. I think it is wrong to support that life style. I don't think gays are different or bad people, but I will not say the life style is OK when I see it as wrong. I do not chastise or shun people who are gay, as I have friends whom I care for greatly who live that life style, it makes them no less friends. In any case I do not condone their life style and they know this.

    Then you say it's not going to hurt my marraige and I agree. That has nothing to do with my decision. This again is also a typical response.

    I am not imposing anything on anyone. I am following my own moral compass in the society I live in politically, and legally within the law. This is in the end, the American way.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 01-13-10 at 02:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #1090
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,289
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You think this is just about religion? That is a pretty typical response. I don't mean that in a bad way, it just is.

    It is part of it, but even before I was a Christian, I was against same sex marraige. I think it is wrong to support that life style. I don't think gays are different or bad people, but I will not say the life style is OK when I see it as wrong. I do not chastise or shun people who are gay, as I have friends whom I care for greatly who live that life style, it makes them no less friends. In any case I do not condone their life style and they know this.

    Then you say it's not going to hurt my marraige and I agree. That has nothing to do with my decision. This again is also a typical response.

    I am not imposing anything on anyone. I am following my own moral compass in the society I live in politically, and legally within the law. This is in the end, the American way.
    WHy do you see the lifestyle as wrong?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •