Page 104 of 184 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1834

Thread: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

  1. #1031
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Fair enough. Although I wish that you were more inclined to debate the state interest. I enjoy your posts because they are generally pretty well supported, even if I disagree.
    I just haven't seen any one that is able to put forth an argument that would withstand Constitutional muster. I'm not surprized though, since as I said, even the most conservative of conservative scholars have written saying that this is a problem for them.
    This is why I say the battle will be in the Constitutional Amendment arena.
    The SCOTUS will not uphold the governmental discrimination under equal protection and the right-wing will take their battle to the next level.
    Although this is likely to take a decade to resolve.
    It's not that I don't like the debate, I do. I am really just not that interested in the whole gay marraige thing outside of supporting civil unions.

    I just don't see it as a huge issue I guess.

    I say let the states handle it and leave me alone, lol.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 01-11-10 at 06:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #1032
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I have clearly made my point. You keep asking basically the same questions worded slightly differently over and over again.

    I have said what my opinion is.
    And you have not been able to answer the question.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #1033
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It's not that I don't like the debate, I do. I am really just not that interested in the whole gay marraige thing outside of supporting civil unions.

    I just don't see it as a huge issue I guess.

    I say let the states handle it and leave me alone, lol.
    (Just to clarify...I wasn't suggesting that you were running from the debate. I understand what you are saying. I would just really love to have someone debate an important governmental purpose that could withstand Constitutional muster. I think the reality is, there isn't one, which is why I think the battle will be fought in a different arena).
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #1034
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Navy has listed every President he voted for here. He has always voted for the Republican....so if he was a "liberal as hell" at a period of time in his life, I have no idea when that would have been.
    I Voted for JFK and "Scoop" Jackson in a primary for president, both democrats...
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #1035
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Its not the end of story when the issue comes before the SCOTUS...which is likely will very soon.That is why I posed the question I did to you....and the question that I pose to everyone who supports the governmental exclusion.

    What "important" governmental interest is served by the government limiting marriage to straight couples?
    I doubt if the SCOTUS will ever get involved in this...They believe it is a state issue and the individual states will handle it... I kind of wish they would so this would get handled once and for all..........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  6. #1036
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I Voted for JFK and "Scoop" Jackson in a primary for president, both democrats...
    So in a field of democrats, you voted for democrats.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #1037
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I don't think so. Even with the conservatives that Bush put on it is unlikely that the Supreme Court is going to establish an important governmental interest.

    Most conservative constitutional scholars have even written that they cannot see how it passes Constitutional muster if it reaches the Supreme Court, which is why the fight has been to try to keep the Supreme Court from addressing the issue.
    Bush tried to pre-empt a Supreme Court decision through a Constitutional Amendment, however, it never gained enough support to go anywhere.

    The reality is, the only way that gay marriage is going to be stopped in the United States is if there is a Constitutional Amendment that prevents it.
    I expect the SCOTUS to strike down Prop-8 eventually as unconstitutional and the battle will be whether this country wants to pass a Constitutional Amendment that for the first time in the history of this country, takes away rights rather than expands them.

    That is where the true battle is going to be on this issue.
    Back to fantasy DD.........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  8. #1038
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So in a field of democrats, you voted for democrats.
    You needd to read up on Washington State laws.......If a voter is not in a party he can vote for who he wants..........Oh and JFK was a national election.......Probably way before your time so you did not know that...He ran for president in 1960............
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #1039
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You needd to read up on Washington State laws.......If a voter is not in a party he can vote for who he wants..........Oh and JFK was a national election.......Probably way before your time so you did not know that...He ran for president in 1960............
    So there where republicans running against Jackson when you voted for him?

    I mistook your comment to mean you voted for both in primaries.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #1040
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I doubt if the SCOTUS will ever get involved in this...They believe it is a state issue and the individual states will handle it... I kind of wish they would so this would get handled once and for all..........
    Um.......I guess you haven't been following the news lately..........The Prop 8 federal trial began today..........it's going to be on youtube........

    EDIT: Correction, the Supreme Court blocked the youtube broadcast as of today.

    http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...,7701011.story
    Last edited by hazlnut; 01-11-10 at 08:22 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •