Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 107 of 107

Thread: More Ex-Detainees Resort to Terror, Officials Say

  1. #101
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: More Ex-Detainees Resort to Terror, Officials Say

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Comparing this to gravity proves this isn't true.
    Quite the opposite actually. The comparison to deaths by gravity is to demonstrate that this is not a threat we need to freak out over and lose our wit because. Instead, we should take it as measured and understand that compared to other potentially fatal dynamics, terrorism is relatively low in probability and that's why we don't need to freak out about it. So you are wrong, comparing to gravity in fact bolsters my case. Thanks for playing

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Remarkable how inconsistent, you'll tell us government is to fear when engaged in its Constitutional duty of protecting us, bet you lunch you're all in favor of this "threat" to our freedoms and liberties running our health care. I asked as I believe your point of view is one that comes from a political animal, rather than a reasoned one. Again, where do you stand on health care?
    How is it inconsistent? Government does present the largest threat to freedom and liberty. Thus we must work to constrain government to ensure that it operates to maximize the freedom and liberty of the individual; not curtail it. I think maybe you're just labeling arguments because you haven't been able to produce a coherent, rational counter to it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #102
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: More Ex-Detainees Resort to Terror, Officials Say

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Ever see the very 1st episode of cops......


    It was in Newark, and this cop kept saying how it was unfortunate, but he profiled black men who had a certain style of dress and look, and more often than not, he was right...


    Profiling works.



    btw think the guy was a racist or pragmatic?
    I think it's specific to the situation. The cop and TSA have different groups and jobs. The youthful criminal may come from similar backgrounds, and coincidentally those backgrounds may contain predominately one race. But the group overall is not a cohered group, but rather just individuals. Thus they aren't acting in any way to affect the profile. Terrorists however may do just that. If they find we are taking predominately one race; it's not inconceivable that they'd try to recruit from less suspicious racial groups. Terrorists are a cohered group with agenda and "purpose" and could actively use the profile against us.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #103
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,743

    Re: More Ex-Detainees Resort to Terror, Officials Say

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think it's specific to the situation. The cop and TSA have different groups and jobs. The youthful criminal may come from similar backgrounds, and coincidentally those backgrounds may contain predominately one race. But the group overall is not a cohered group, but rather just individuals. Thus they aren't acting in any way to affect the profile. Terrorists however may do just that. If they find we are taking predominately one race; it's not inconceivable that they'd try to recruit from less suspicious racial groups. Terrorists are a cohered group with agenda and "purpose" and could actively use the profile against us.




    So stopping the 90 year old granny in a wheelchair over the man with a one way ticket from yemem makes sense?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #104
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: More Ex-Detainees Resort to Terror, Officials Say

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    So stopping the 90 year old granny in a wheelchair over the man with a one way ticket from yemem makes sense?
    Again, not saying that. I wish you'd read what I wrote and consider the meaning. Also making hyperbole comparisons of this nature (kindly ol' lady to suspicious ME guy) behooves no one and does not promote the discussion well. As I said, profiling can be linked with intel from various sources. Are you going after the granny? Probably not, and in the process of profiling for suspicious behavior I'd dare say she'd be ruled out quickly anyway. The point is to not get drawn into just one race since we're dealing with an organization and not random encountering of people.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #105
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,743

    Re: More Ex-Detainees Resort to Terror, Officials Say

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Again, not saying that. I wish you'd read what I wrote and consider the meaning. Also making hyperbole comparisons of this nature (kindly ol' lady to suspicious ME guy) behooves no one and does not promote the discussion well. As I said, profiling can be linked with intel from various sources. Are you going after the granny? Probably not, and in the process of profiling for suspicious behavior I'd dare say she'd be ruled out quickly anyway. The point is to not get drawn into just one race since we're dealing with an organization and not random encountering of people.




    I'm working on something, fogive me if I seem not listening to you.....


    Its not hyperbole. I have seen wheelchair bound people targeted for extra screening.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #106
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: More Ex-Detainees Resort to Terror, Officials Say

    The hyperbole is trying to then excuse action based off of the absurd. The 90 year old, white lady compared to the young, ME man. Those things are automatically taken care of in the process of proper profiling.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #107
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: More Ex-Detainees Resort to Terror, Officials Say

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Quite the opposite actually. The comparison to deaths by gravity is to demonstrate that this is not a threat we need to freak out over and lose our wit because. Instead, we should take it as measured and understand that compared to other potentially fatal dynamics, terrorism is relatively low in probability and that's why we don't need to freak out about it. So you are wrong, comparing to gravity in fact bolsters my case. Thanks for playing
    Playing what? Your silly analogy game. Let's use another to destroy your silly argument. Hurricanes. The last one with ferocity that made landfall nearly on top on New Orleans was in 1969, Camille the name of that storm. We make massive preparations now, Katrina a reminder that someone should have freaked out when that storm was still two days away. Hurricanes not killing near as many as heart disease, car accidents, or even gravity so...why freak out.

    Let me guess, Ikari...you were probably one of those that thought the Bush admin didn't freak out and took the probabilities argument of yours huh? That hurricanes being such a low probablilty, why focus on them? Course, your argument THEN was that no one freaked out, that the probabilities game was played by Brown's FEMA group, could your argument then have been anything similar.

    :Oops: Thanks for playing.


    How is it inconsistent? Government does present the largest threat to freedom and liberty.
    And so again...where are you on the health care debate and especially he public option? Let's find out if your arguments are consistent. If you truly believe this, no way you support this threat to freedom being in charge of your health care....right?

    I think maybe you're just labeling arguments because you haven't been able to produce a coherent, rational counter to it.
    Being wrong is your right.
    Last edited by Charles Martel; 01-12-10 at 05:38 PM.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •