Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 122

Thread: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    There aren't bans on people with hepatitis, herpes, cancer, the flu, or any other potentially lethal disease, so why does AIDS get special treatment? The immigration policy was a symbol of stigma, nothing else.
    In other words, the ban should be expanded, not removed.

    I'm with ya.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    They are presumably coming to the U.S. for a better life and I see no reason to deny them that just because they have AIDS.
    That's a perfectly valid reason to exclude them. Immigrants should present neither a health risk to the general public nor a burden upon the taxpayer.

  3. #63
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    That's a perfectly valid reason to exclude them. Immigrants should present neither a health risk to the general public nor a burden upon the taxpayer.
    HIV is already rampant amongst the population, it is a useless gesture to ban people immigrating here on such a basis.
    Syn Athēnāi kai kheira kinei - Gods help those who help themselves.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    So you're against freedom? Do you have some statistic on immigrants with HIV/AIDS infecting others or are you just afraid of shadows and like to try and scare others too?
    Hmmm.....immigrants who are not infected with HIV present a 0.00% risk of infecting others with HIV. HIV infected immigrants present a risk of transmission >0%.

    Good enough for me.

    Since this is a free country, we do have the freedom to slam the doors in the face of anyone not meeting our standards for admission.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    HIV is already rampant amongst the population, it is a useless gesture to ban people immigrating here on such a basis.
    Why throw gas on the fire?......

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    HIV is already rampant amongst the population, it is a useless gesture to ban people immigrating here on such a basis.
    No, it prevents an increase in the number of disease vectors. Is there some reason they can't go to France?

  7. #67
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    No, it prevents an increase in the number of disease vectors. Is there some reason they can't go to France?
    The people who are legally allowed to immigrate here are usually skilled and thus knowledgeable enough to take preventative measures. As said, HIV is low risk transmission compared to influenze and tuberculosis - there is no practical need to ban HIV infected immigrants.

    They really should, they won't be treated like scum in the manner of American medical patients.
    Syn Athēnāi kai kheira kinei - Gods help those who help themselves.

  8. #68
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    Why throw gas on the fire?......
    FUD, nothing more. Focus on more important issues like illegal immigration.
    Syn Athēnāi kai kheira kinei - Gods help those who help themselves.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Why?

    You still haven't given a reason.
    Hmmm...someone says "there's no good reason to admit people with an infectious disease into the US" and you say he hasn't presents a "reason"?

    How about the fact that the person has an infectious disease, especially an infectious fatal disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    AIDS has low risk transmission status because it can only be transmitted by blood, just like hepatitis... but people with hepatitis can enter the U.S.
    Really? HIV can only be transmitted by blood? Is that what I just quoted you as saying? You're not aware that the primary method of disease transmission is hot beef injections?

    People with hepatitis should not be allowed into the country.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: US lifts HIV/Aids immigration ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    What if an infected person is a doctor? Are we going to reject a trained professional who could offer benefits to our society because of their minimal risk? A lawyer? An engineer? A scientist?
    Sure.

    It's not hard to find doctor and engineer and scientist immigrants who aren't infected.

    We should never import lawyers. Not ever. They may not be infected with a disease, it doesn't matter. They are a disease.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •