Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Do you HONESTLY believe this?!?!?
    He's talking through his hat, he has no idea.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #22
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Do you HONESTLY believe this?!?!?
    Of course I do and I am 100% correct. Prove me wrong. Name a security issue that is not political. I can not see one at all.

    Lets take full body scanners are as political as anything. The reason they are not in place in the US airports (and EU) is political. There are privacy issues thrown up by various sides and some sides are pushing the scanners for political reasons as well. Those that are pushing for full body scanners are doing so because they can see easy political points, aka popular politics not because of security, because the fact is that even if the full body scanners were in place they would not have stopped the Christmas bomber. They would also not have stopped the shoe bomber. And those pushing for these scanners are often those who are the first to shrug off privacy laws and the law it self in their never ending quest to "secure" the nation.

    Or lets take the entrance requirements into the US. Security? not really, political. Politicians had to show they were doing something after 9/11 so they put in place security practices that look good, but in reality dont provide much more security than before since the intelligence services still dont talk to each other to prevent attacks as we see... also this is political. Does announcing a few days in advance the arrival of a Dane or Brit to the US actually improve security? Not really, all it does it make it politically viable to block entrance for certain unwanted persons.. putting in Visa requirements would have done that too and they continue to be required for all the "trouble" areas of the world. There was no reason to put in the arsine "security" issues coming from Europe other than political. The US did at the time not "trust" certain countries in Europe that had free entrance to the US before 9/11. It was 100% political.

    How about information sharing between Europe and the US. Security? no, political again. Why do I say that? Because of the information wanted by the US and denied to the Europeans in return. And the fact that in the start the US wanted religions and sexual orientation as part of the information.. that was political big time. In the end the Europeans caved yet again and allowed the US to get tons of private information on any person wanting to go to the US, where as Europe gets almost nothing about Americans coming to Europe... great deal there...pathetic.

    Or how about banning people with AIDS/HIV from entering the US for decades? What security reason was that considering people with far more viral diseases were given access to the US? It was 100% political put in place by an ignorant conservative government and renewed by government after government. It was based on religious dogma and ignorance. For example.. how could an American with AIDS be allowed to travel to another country and reenter the country? Or how about an American living in Europe contracting AIDS/HIV, being allowed back into the US just because he was an American citizen? It was political, not a security issue.

    So yes most if not all "security issues" are political at the core.
    PeteEU

  3. #23
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-13 @ 08:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post


    My question...What in the world makes anyone think that the US could have stopped ANY country from installing anything in their own airports?
    Maybe because an international airport like Schiphol can't afford to lose their american lines.

  4. #24
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Of course I do and I am 100% correct. Prove me wrong. Name a security issue that is not political. I can not see one at all.

    Lets take full body scanners are as political as anything. The reason they are not in place in the US airports (and EU) is political. There are privacy issues thrown up by various sides and some sides are pushing the scanners for political reasons as well. Those that are pushing for full body scanners are doing so because they can see easy political points, aka popular politics not because of security, because the fact is that even if the full body scanners were in place they would not have stopped the Christmas bomber. They would also not have stopped the shoe bomber. And those pushing for these scanners are often those who are the first to shrug off privacy laws and the law it self in their never ending quest to "secure" the nation.

    Or lets take the entrance requirements into the US. Security? not really, political. Politicians had to show they were doing something after 9/11 so they put in place security practices that look good, but in reality dont provide much more security than before since the intelligence services still dont talk to each other to prevent attacks as we see... also this is political. Does announcing a few days in advance the arrival of a Dane or Brit to the US actually improve security? Not really, all it does it make it politically viable to block entrance for certain unwanted persons.. putting in Visa requirements would have done that too and they continue to be required for all the "trouble" areas of the world. There was no reason to put in the arsine "security" issues coming from Europe other than political. The US did at the time not "trust" certain countries in Europe that had free entrance to the US before 9/11. It was 100% political.

    How about information sharing between Europe and the US. Security? no, political again. Why do I say that? Because of the information wanted by the US and denied to the Europeans in return. And the fact that in the start the US wanted religions and sexual orientation as part of the information.. that was political big time. In the end the Europeans caved yet again and allowed the US to get tons of private information on any person wanting to go to the US, where as Europe gets almost nothing about Americans coming to Europe... great deal there...pathetic.

    Or how about banning people with AIDS/HIV from entering the US for decades? What security reason was that considering people with far more viral diseases were given access to the US? It was 100% political put in place by an ignorant conservative government and renewed by government after government. It was based on religious dogma and ignorance. For example.. how could an American with AIDS be allowed to travel to another country and reenter the country? Or how about an American living in Europe contracting AIDS/HIV, being allowed back into the US just because he was an American citizen? It was political, not a security issue.

    So yes most if not all "security issues" are political at the core.
    Breaking into Lowe's. Next?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #25
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Breaking into Lowe's. Next?
    And Lowe's is? and what does it have to do with international travel and security?
    PeteEU

  6. #26
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    And Lowe's is? and what does it have to do with international travel and security?
    Lowe's is a Hardware and general Home Improvement store. It is the equivalent to Home Depot or Menards.

  7. #27
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

    Does anyone know if Israel uses these scanners? Seems to me that they do a pretty good job.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  8. #28
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Does anyone know if Israel uses these scanners? Seems to me that they do a pretty good job.
    Q&A: Controversial full-body scanners - CNN.com

    Where have they been installed?

    Full-body scanners are currently being trialed at Manchester Airport in England and Tokyo's Narita Airport in Japan. Amsterdam's Schiphol airport has 15 scanners, which are being drafted into active service, while Israel's Ben Guiron airport is already using them. In the United States, 40 scanners have been installed at 19 airports across the country. Six are used as the primary security check, while 34 are used for secondary, or random checks. More are expected to be installed.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  9. #29
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

    It seems that they are pretty effective, I haven’t heard of any concerns coming from the Israelis about them. On another note kinda makes one wonder why these eight republican Senators voted against the screening and explosive detection equipment in July 2007. (Sens. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Tom Coburn (R-Okl.) Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) Elizabeth Dole (R-N.C.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), James Inhofe (R-Okl.) and Jon Kyl (R-Ari.)Now it seems that some of them are screeching the loudest….perplexing.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  10. #30
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: US 'stopped Dutch installation of full body scanners

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    No. Without facts one must speculate, and that is what I did. It is a fully valid reason as it has been used before to block and delay the transfer of "technology" to other countries.

    In fact go to

    U. S. Bureau of Industry and Security

    and you will see what is required to have an export license.... yes, the US has licences on certain goods to be exported.

    In fact when IBM sold its PC division to the Chinese, it had to comply with Federal requirements on security at IBM plants in the US where Levono employees were to be stationed. The levono employees had to be housed in separate secure areas of the IBM campus to win approval.

    So it is very real when it comes to technology exports from the US.
    Like I said, you made things up. The fact you do not understand the concept of making things up certainly explains a lot.

    .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •