Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 568

Thread: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

  1. #451
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    is there a link where you got that from?


    j-mac
    It's from a transcript of his tv show on Oct. 5, 1995. I can't provide an actual link because you need paid access. If you can get on Lexis Nexus, do a search for that date and it will pop up.

    Here's the snippet in context:
    Now look at this montage of newspaper headlines from Thursday around New York and the country. You've all probably heard about this story. That is how much play it got. And, of course, it dovetails with the O.J. Simpson verdict being announced. And it's got some interesting statistics, this story, and I predict that you're going to see a lot of hay made about this. I think a lot of people you see--"Crossfire" probably do a topic on this. The weekend shows will probably mention this. We'll have serious, somber discussions about the meaning of this. And a bunch of intellectuals--you know how intellectuals talk. I love watching intellectuals on TV. They'll sit there and go, Well, my opinion is I looked at the data, don't you see,' and it'll take a half-hour for them to get their first two sentences completed. It sounds like they're constipated, most of these intellectuals, when they're speaking.

    But this does have some data and I will guarantee you this is going to be--I'm going to assume that everything in it's true for this--just for the sake of discussion. And I will guarantee you that it's going to be mishandled, misreported and the wrong conclusions are going to be drawn from it. Basically, the thrust of the story is that black men in their 20s in this country--one-third of all black men in their 20s are either in jail or on parole. And that--that--that if this were the case in the white population, if one-third of the white male population in this country in its 20s were in jail, that we would stop everything, declare a national emergency and try to solve the problem. And I think in 1990 the--the number was one in four black men in their 20s were in jail. Now--there you see it--now in 1995 it's--it's one in three.

    But here is the real nuts and bolts of this that everybody's going to focus on and misread, I believe. Blacks make up 12 percent of the United States' population. They constitute 13 percent of all monthly drug users, according to this same report. However, black males in their 20s represent 35 percent of those arrested for drug possession, 55 percent of those convicted for drug possession and 74 percent of those sentenced to prison for drug possession.

    Now people are going to sit there and say, This proves that America's racist. This proves that cops target blacks unfairly and put them in jail unfairly. They got to be falsely accused. They've got to be falsely convicted. They got to be falsely imprisoned'--and this is supposed to prove to everybody that this is terribly wrong.

    Now I think the proper way to look at this is the exact opposite. Let's all admit something: There's nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up.

    If you're a black living in the inner city--and--and I firmly believe that, no matter what your race, if you have children--or even if you don't--you don't want to be surrounded by drug infestation. You don't want your kids running around being tempted by the quick profits of drug sales or the quick high of drug use. And if the cops are in these neighborhoods and ridding these neighborhoods of these people, then that's good and you ought to be happy about it.

    What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use, too many whites are getting away with drug sales, too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too. That's how you deal with this, ladies and gentlemen.

    And I guarantee you that everybody's going to look at this and draw the wrong conclusion. They're going to say, America's racist. We're unfairly targeting blacks.' I think blacks ought to be dis--unhappy--whites ought to be unhappy about this. If--if white people are getting away with this stuff, they're tempting your kids, they're tempt--they're--they're in the process perhaps of getting into your neighborhoods. This stuff is des--is destructive. So you--you mark my words, as this is reported all across the media, America's racist. America unfairly targets blacks,' and so forth, when, in fact, too many whites, apparently, are getting away with it.
    It's not a great argument he's making, but that's irrelevant to the charge of hypocrisy. He's talking about the need to arrest drug users in a "war on drugs" context of cleaning up neighborhoods.

    But jeez! When the only thing people are able to dig up after 25 years of talk shows (working out to something like 2 years of straight 24/7 talking) is one (maybe two) little tidbits like the above - it says a lot more about the people yelling "hypocrite" than it does about Limbaugh.
    Last edited by Taylor; 01-07-10 at 07:39 PM.

  2. #452
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    joke Re: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It's from a transcript of his tv show on Oct. 5, 1995. I can't provide an actual link because you need paid access. If you can get on Lexis Nexus, do a search for that date and it will pop up.

    Here's the snippet in context:

    It's not a great argument he's making, but that's irrelevant to the charge of hypocrisy. He's talking about the need to arrest drug users in a "war on drugs" context of cleaning up neighborhoods.

    But jeez! When the only thing people are able to dig up after 25 years of talk shows (working out to something like 2 years of straight 24/7 talking) is one (maybe two) little tidbits like the above - it says a lot more about the people yelling "hypocrite" than it does about Limbaugh.
    You limbots are in denial.

    Remember when he called Clinton's daughter a dog or when he said bush I would win his reelection bid?

    He hopes our country fails.

  3. #453
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    You limbots are in denial.

    Remember when he called Clinton's daughter a dog or when he said bush I would win his reelection bid?

    He hopes our country fails.
    Oh joy, a troll.


  4. #454
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Oh, good grief. I'm sort of sorry that the guy's having health problems, but on the other hand, he's had an extremely negative effect on the American nation as a whole.
    Hello?

    He was instrumental in preventing Al Gore from getting elected, wasn't he?

    And did he get a medal for this national service?

    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    He's divisive at a time when we need to pull together because we have serious problems as a country.
    He's not divisive.

    People who are wrong, ie, the liberals and other socialists, don't agree with him, but that's their problem for being wrong all the time. Shouldn't you instead be blaming the socialists and liberals for causing all the problems, and not the man who's pointing to the causes of the problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    He's totally uninterested in solving the problems, he's using his idiotic sheeple followers to make money, and he's serving as the unofficial figurehead of the republican party.
    See? Only a liberal or some other socialist would focus on the fact that Rush is making money hand over fist by simply pointing out the flaws of the liberals and other socialists. And he does present solutions to problems. Just because you're wrong and persist in believing devout adherence to socialism will make things all better doesn't mean a man espousing the correct solutions is wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    To be blunt, the best thing that could happen to the Republican party would be the death of Rush Limbaugh.
    Oh, I'm sure there are better things than that. The GOP moving towards the center, ie, moving right, would do wonders for the GOP.

  5. #455
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    The Majority of Americans, right or wrong, support Obama. I wonder which America he is referring to? SOUTH America?

    that doesn't hold true.

    The majority of voting Americans, wrong as could be, SUPPORTED (note past tense) the packaged offering that was called "Obama".

    Then the nation discovered that the pretty wrappings hid a major turd.

    And most Americans don't support turds.

    Let's put it another way.

    Calvin spent weeks eating Cruncheez Cereal to get the box tops he needed to get that propeller beanie. He days at school were filled with visions of him flying around town in his propeller hat.

    Naturally, the reality of Calvin's new propeller beanie was disappointing.

    You people need to stop pretending your Propeller Beanie Ivory Tower Marxist Messiah is going to pick you up and fly you around.

    There's a big ****ing train wreck coming and he's piling on the altnerative energy to make it happen sooner. You need to stop villifying the people who have been pointing to the coming collision with reality and start helping to slow the train down.

    You do that by becoming Americans and rejecting your Marxist roots.

  6. #456
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    This is getting old. If you haven't known by now....here ya go:

    "There's nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up."
    Okay.

    Rush said drug users should be put in jail.

    I don't agree, but so? Your point is?

  7. #457
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,674

    Re: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    that doesn't hold true.

    The majority of voting Americans, wrong as could be, SUPPORTED (note past tense) the packaged offering that was called "Obama".

    Then the nation discovered that the pretty wrappings hid a major turd.

    And most Americans don't support turds.

    Let's put it another way.

    Calvin spent weeks eating Cruncheez Cereal to get the box tops he needed to get that propeller beanie. He days at school were filled with visions of him flying around town in his propeller hat.

    Naturally, the reality of Calvin's new propeller beanie was disappointing.

    You people need to stop pretending your Propeller Beanie Ivory Tower Marxist Messiah is going to pick you up and fly you around.

    There's a big ****ing train wreck coming and he's piling on the altnerative energy to make it happen sooner. You need to stop villifying the people who have been pointing to the coming collision with reality and start helping to slow the train down.

    You do that by becoming Americans and rejecting your Marxist roots.
    You could be right. I got no dog in an Obama fight. I am just saying that when people go online or on TV, spewing out their blowhole about what is and what is not American, I feel obligated to remind them that when they badmouth a majority slice of Americana, they are, mathmatically speaking, being anti-American.

    Just sayin'...

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #458
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    You could be right. I got no dog in an Obama fight. I am just saying that when people go online or on TV, spewing out their blowhole about what is and what is not American, I feel obligated to remind them that when they badmouth a majority slice of Americana, they are, mathmatically speaking, being anti-American.

    Just sayin'...
    Not when that majority is itself anti-American.

    And the majority that voted for their Propeller Beanie Messiah was certainly as anti-American as I've ever seen in a US election.

  9. #459
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    This is both sad and hilarious:

    1. A hard core lib

    2. A hard core lib

    3. A hard core lib

    4. A hard core lib

    5. A hard core lib
    Yes, it is both sad and hilarious you used "Hardcore lib" over and over again in a amazingly ignorant fashion.

    Catz could be classified as many things, but one would have to be so mentally brainwashed with hyper partisan extreme right wing thinking to believe she's even CLOSE to being a "hardcore" Lib.

    But the post does tell every reasonable, intelligent, intellectually honest poster on this site that is looking for real debate and discussion and not mindless hyper partisan diatribes exactly what they need to know about you, if they didn't know it already.

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    .
    Indeed.

    As to Limbaugh, glad to know he has recovered well, returned to broadcasting, and managed to seemingly save himself money in paying straight up with Cash for all of his medical dealings during this.

  10. #460
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,674

    Re: Report: Rush Limbaugh taken to Hawaii hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Not when that majority is itself anti-American.

    And the majority that voted for their Propeller Beanie Messiah was certainly as anti-American as I've ever seen in a US election.
    Ever heard that ol' phrase, "The whole marching band was out of step but Johnny."

    Right on Scarecrow. I got ya.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •