Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 472

Thread: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

  1. #441
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by Antagony View Post
    And, in turn, your picture reminded me of this one:

    Which in turn reminds me of a picture I just made 30 seconds ago.


  2. #442
    Student Antagony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern England
    Last Seen
    09-13-11 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    278

    Re: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

    Ahem... there's only one 'p' in proper.

    And what exactly was wrong with my grammar? Please do enlighten me.
    Last edited by Antagony; 01-03-10 at 07:26 PM.
    -Ant

    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    -Voltaire

  3. #443
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

    Moderator's Warning:
    Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection ReportedThat's enough of the trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #444
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by Antagony View Post
    And, in turn, your picture reminded me of this one:

    Keep shooting yourself in the foot if you like




    BTW, the guy who actually did the poster modified it after it was pointed out that Africa was missing.

    For you....



    Thats from the funniest pics ever thread in the Hard Forums

    Better quit while you're behind sport.
    Last edited by texmaster; 01-04-10 at 12:04 AM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #445
    Advisor Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here be Dragons
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    317

    Re: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by Antagony View Post
    Ahem... there's only one 'p' in proper.

    And what exactly was wrong with my grammar? Please do enlighten me.
    I think your map prompted another massive q.e.d.!

    Clearly Africa was supposed to be missing, which prompted a comment on irony by someone who had missed the irony of that...and then there was some right proper gobbledegook.

    And of course there are plenty of Americans in and outside the US borders who would take a good long self effacing laugh at themselves. There must be some self effacing British humour we could post to show the "irony free zone" here that we're only joking.

    My comment was about the amazing insistence that there were not millions of Westerners living in and visiting the muslim world. I do really believe that there are some Americans (as there are some Britons too, but on a lesser scale) who really believe that islamic countries are all like Iran, Yemen or Afghanistan. They create this world in their heads where every muslim wants to kill them. It is a useful deception for a nationalist, xenophobic right - the extreme right in all countries use xenophobia - which galvanizes a frightened people behind them.

    I think Msgt's post on the instructions given to US Marines is the highlight of this thread. This is professional, common sense, military analysis which summarizes very nicely the objectives of these wars and how to fight them. I am sure that it draws on the military lessons of counter insurgency warfare that have been learned over the years. It is a million miles away from the hate filled spew that so many on the American right seek to post on this subject.

    I am waiting for the islamophobes to respond with how "pc" this is, how it is holding back real soldiers from doing their job, or how much it sells out to the "Obamunists" agenda; how soft it is on muslims because it fails to demonize them all and how actually the US Marines are led by a bunch of traitor liberals who should be drummed out of the Corps and replaced by real men. And then a long tedious exchange about whether these instructions emerged in the last year or when Bush was president.

    Because this sort of vitriol would be the logical conclusion of their argument, should they ever deign to follow an argument through to a conclusion showing logic. Will they take on the official view of the US Marine Corps? I doubt it.

    Which brings a wry smile to my face.
    Last edited by Plato; 01-04-10 at 03:43 AM.
    There is a way to gain the whole world. It is to gain the people, and having gained them, one gains the whole world. There is a way to gain the people. Gain their hearts and minds and then you gain them. Mencius

  6. #446
    Student Antagony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern England
    Last Seen
    09-13-11 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    278

    Re: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by textmaster View Post
    Keep shooting yourself in the foot if you like
    Your last poster was disappointingly poor. If a comedy picture is made to look deliberately stupid – because it is satirising or lampooning the perceived ignorance of others – it does not have to demonstrate the artists own erudition in order to be valid. Of course I could easily counter your latest poster with another and we could continue playing this silly game until the thread is completely derailed. But independent_thinker2002 has decided this round of motivational poster tit for tatting constitutes "trolling," so I will desist from continuing with the trend.

    But look, it was just a joke. The original picture was also missing Greenland, and India, and Southeast Asia; and the shape of every landmass outside of North America was hopelessly inaccurate. But all of that is irrelevant, because it was intentionally so! The artist clearly wanted to portray how woefully ignorant and simplistically he thought the average American viewed the rest of the world. We can argue about whether that picture was funny, or stupid (for stereotyping, not for geographic inaccuracy), but in no way was it ironic, because it was not intended to illustrate the author's own view of the world's geography. I mean... if I was to say "You're so stupid, you stared at an OJ carton because it said 'Concentrate'!" would you turn around and say "Ha, 'concentrate' means something different in that context. So you're the stupid one and that makes your joke ironic!"? Clearly, there is some irony and stupidity to be found in this conversation, but I will leave it to others to decide where that really is.
    Last edited by Antagony; 01-04-10 at 10:19 AM.
    -Ant

    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    -Voltaire

  7. #447
    Student Antagony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern England
    Last Seen
    09-13-11 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    278

    Re: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    And of course there are plenty of Americans in and outside the US borders who would take a good long self effacing laugh at themselves. There must be some self effacing British humour we could post to show the "irony free zone" here that we're only joking.
    Andy Parsons nailed it...

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWP04p7Rig"]YouTube- HD Preview: Andy Parsons 'Only in Britain...' - Live at the Apollo - BBC One[/ame]
    -Ant

    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    -Voltaire

  8. #448
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by Antagony View Post
    Your last poster was disappointingly poor. If a comedy picture is made to look deliberately stupid because it is satirising or lampooning the perceived ignorance of others it does not have to demonstrate the artists own erudition in order to be valid. Of course I could easily counter your latest poster with another and we could continue playing this silly game until the thread is completely derailed. But independent_thinker2002 has decided this round of motivational poster tit for tatting constitutes "trolling," so I will desist from continuing with the trend.

    But look, it was just a joke. The original picture was also missing Greenland, and India, and Southeast Asia; and the shape of every landmass outside of North America was hopelessly inaccurate. But all of that is irrelevant, because it was intentionally so! The artist clearly wanted to portray how woefully ignorant and simplistically he thought the average American viewed the rest of the world. We can argue about whether that picture was funny, or stupid (for stereotyping, not for geographic inaccuracy), but in no way was it ironic, because it was not intended to illustrate the author's own view of the world's geography. I mean... if I was to say "You're so stupid, you stared at an OJ carton because it said 'Concentrate'!" would you turn around and say "Ha, 'concentrate' means something different in that context. So you're the stupid one and that makes your joke ironic!"? Clearly, there is some irony and stupidity to be found in this conversation, but I will leave it to others to decide where that really is.
    LOL wow. I give you the author of the pic actually changing it when its pointed out and you still claim its deliberate.

    Pretty sad.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  9. #449
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    You seem to be a bit confused. You say I hate Bush and yet you can't help pointing out where I agree with him. Could it be that is because I don't hate him but disagree with him on some things (like his appointment of Cheney and Rumsfeld) and agree with him on others (like his foreign policy in his second term under Condi Rice)? Did you consider that I don't fit your stereotype?
    I am absolutely not confused. Now perhaps cncerning Bush I am a tad confised on your stance, but, calling Cheney and Rumsfeld thugs and talking of satisfying their 'armchair Gen's sexual desires', didn't strike me as a Bush supporter.

    When you answer my arguments, other than posting drivel, we can have a debate. All that stuff about the US Constitution that totally get what i said wrong as well...
    Nonsense. This pretend game where your argument is being taken wrong here isn't accurate. It's summed up rather easily in your previous post. "Fair enough. I realized that my proposal was one of covert influence. I think that is fair enough and would have to ask what the alternative is. That we demonize the 1.2 billion muslims in the world. Actually I never hear a specific program from the islamophobes."

    I asked you for suggestions. And we began to debate those. Your initial suggestion was broad as have your follow up suggestions. And I think your alternatives here are unsound...and so I mention that. Again, you're clearly asking here what the alternatives are. You then answer your own question with demonizing 1.2 billion people and them some comment about no specific alternative from "Islamophobes"(that I'm certainly certain you'll point out one when one is exposed.)

    And this is laughable. You're saying your proposals are "covert influence" and "vague", but then, any alternative is demonization. Please.

    Where am I from? Why? Do you want to launch an attack on that country?

    Start a thread and I'll join you, should you have some good points (which wouldn't be hard). I'm from England, where your founding fathers got all their ideas from. It was probably our best achievement to spawn the USA. One of them anyway.
    Congratulations, England one of my favorites. Spent an entire year there in Wimbledon as a matter of fact. Dreadful weather. Depressing to an older teen, unable to handle us, our parents set my brother and I off to Europe for three months before Universities started. I almost didn't make it back.

    We used my father's VW Bug, met 4 members of the opposite gender who were tired of the Eurail waits and stations. Two English chicks, two French. If VW bugs could talk...........anyway...

    Try reading what I wrote. It wasn't what you responded to.
    I did read what you wrote. And I'm going to start a new thread as well. Not to bash your nation, I'm interested in analogies and comparisons.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  10. #450
    Advisor Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here be Dragons
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    317

    Re: Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    LOL wow. I give you the author of the pic actually changing it when its pointed out and you still claim its deliberate.

    Pretty sad.
    Yup, that post is sad. You think he changed it because he acknowledged he had screwed up or because it offered him an opportunity to be even more satirical and funny?
    There is a way to gain the whole world. It is to gain the people, and having gained them, one gains the whole world. There is a way to gain the people. Gain their hearts and minds and then you gain them. Mencius

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •