Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 243

Thread: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

  1. #51
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    The tougher we make it prison, the less people will won't to go and they will think twice before breaking the law.
    That doesn't seem to be working at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    personally, I think prison isn't hard enough. I think we need to create an even more dangerous and scary environment that there already is.

    Don't like it? Don't break the law. It's that simple.
    Psychology has been discovering that punitive treatments like abusing people and the like don't do much to stop someone from doing bad things long term.

    I used to believe the same as you but changed my stance when i read about this, you have two choices kill them or rehabilitate them with positive reinforcement and of things like token economies.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #52
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That doesn't seem to be working at all.
    That's because prisons aren't being made harder, they're being made easier.



    Psychology has been discovering that punitive treatments like abusing people and the like don't do much to stop someone from doing bad things long term.
    100 years ago, people didn't commit crimes like they do now. One reason, was that they were afraid of going to prison. Fewer people are actually afraid to go to prison.

    I used to believe the same as you but changed my stance when i read about this, you have two choices kill them or rehabilitate them with positive reinforcement and of things like token economies.

    How long have we been attempting to, "rehabilitate", convicts in this country and what's the success rate?

    For alot of criminals and would be criminals, serving in prison is a right of passage, a badge of honor, romantic even. Of more prisoners were killed, mamed, or came home slobbering in their plate at the dinner table, much of the romance of going to prison would go away.
    Last edited by apdst; 12-24-09 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's because prisons aren't being made harder, they're being made easier.
    There has been no real change either way.




    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    100 years ago, people didn't commit crimes like they do now. One reason, was that they were afraid of going to prison. Fewer people are actually afraid to go to prison.
    Sure they did, it's not like bad people just came about at the turn of the century.



    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How long have we been attempting to, "rehabilitate", convicts in this country and what's the success rate?

    For alot of criminals and would be criminals, serving in prison is a right of passage, a badge of honor, romantic even. Of more prisoners were killed, mamed, or came home slobbering in their plate at the dinner table, much of the romance of going to prison would go away.
    Practically never.

    That's why I said either kill them or rehabilitate them but don't use negative reinforcement, it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 12-24-09 at 04:26 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #54
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

    Wait till they play the soap dish game with him in the shower.---He has much to consider.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  5. #55
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    There has been no real change either way.
    That's not true. It's illegal for a gaurd to kick the **** out of a prisoner, now. 40 years ago a gaurd could turn a prisoner into a vegitable and no one cared. Prisoners have rights now. Remember Attica?






    Sure they did, it's not like bad people just came about at the turn of the century.
    The crime rate 100 years ago was lower than it is now. IMO, part of the reason for that, was that people were more afraid to go to prison than they are now.





    Practically never.

    Pratically never rehabilitate them, or never succeed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    100 years ago, people didn't commit crimes like they do now. One reason, was that they were afraid of going to prison. Fewer people are actually afraid to go to prison.
    100 years ago people were not being tossed into prison things like pot heroin cocain etc.
    Last edited by winston53660; 12-24-09 at 04:33 PM.

  7. #57
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Who cares if he's an evil piece of ****?

    He's still a human being and deserves to be treated like one.
    Agreed.

    But on my things to do list, making sure BM is treated like a human being is way the **** down on the lowest end.
    Last edited by Kushinator; 12-24-09 at 04:35 PM.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #58
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's not true. It's illegal for a gaurd to kick the **** out of a prisoner, now. 40 years ago a gaurd could turn a prisoner into a vegitable and no one cared. Prisoners have rights now. Remember Attica?
    Does every criminal deserve to be kicked the **** out of?
    Do you not see how this can be applied unevenly?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The crime rate 100 years ago was lower than it is now. IMO, part of the reason for that, was that people were more afraid to go to prison than they are now.
    When you make more things illegal the crime rate is bound to go up.





    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Pratically never rehabilitate them, or never succeed?
    They don't do anything to rehabilitate them.
    Isolating someone is not rehabilitation, changing behavior is.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, that's because of the decisions they made.
    Not always. Some people really can't being not poor. But I don't expect a "very conservative" person to understand.

    Back on topic: Bernard Madoff wasn't beaten up so I am guessing the title of the thread should change?

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Bernard Madoff beat up in USA Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post



    100 years ago, people didn't commit crimes like they do now. One reason, was that they were afraid of going to prison. Fewer people are actually afraid to go to prison.
    No they weren't afraid of going into prison. People did commit the crimes that happened now and actually violent crimes were actually much more popular back then. Think about it. The police didn't have the methods to successfully find a criminal so if the chance of you getting away with murder now is over 90%, the chance of you getting away with murder back then is over 99%.

    How long have we been attempting to, "rehabilitate", convicts in this country and what's the success rate?

    For alot of criminals and would be criminals, serving in prison is a right of passage, a badge of honor, romantic even. Of more prisoners were killed, mamed, or came home slobbering in their plate at the dinner table, much of the romance of going to prison would go away.
    I agree, prison isn't working for rehabilitating most criminals. It is why the death penalty should be much more common.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •