Page 72 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #711
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Because you contradicted yourself...which is why it seems as if you do not understand what your position actually is.
    Again, you're avoiding having to back up that my claim was irrelevant. Why is it irrelevant?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Tell us, is procreation the reason for marriage...based on the state?
    Is it "the" reason? No, and I've never claimed as much (as pointed out above).

  2. #712
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Context for #2

    Here's what I originally said in context:


    ^^ First, I did not say that procreation was “the main reason” but a major reason. There can be many “major” reasons for something, but only one “main” reason. Second, my comment wasn’t concerning “procreation” so much as procreation as it relates to people who “have or want to have kids”

    Hence my later comment:

    And the still unsubstantiated:

    I've been entirely consistent and haven't "backed up" one iota from my initial statement.
    Oh, Taylor...still squirming. You, again, omitted an important part of this...your misquote and what you said about it. Here, let me refresh your memory. This is after your procreation is a "major reason" comment:

    First, here is my original comment:

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No it isn't. The rearing of children is a major reason why the state should recognize marriage. There is a difference.
    Now...what you quoted:

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No it isn't.
    And your response:

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Sure it is. It's good for society when people want to dedicate their lives to each other and start a family.
    Now, you said that the second part of my comment was irrelevant to yours. This is where you are wrong...of course. Firstly, people can dedicate their lives to each other and start a family without procreation. Secondly, procreation is irrelevant to rearing children, as children reared through adoption do just as well. Procreation, as I said, is irrelevant to the equation. Everything that benefits the state and society is about the family and rearing children. Whether procreation happens or not in that family has no bearing on whether the state should sponsor marriages.

    Are you getting it yet?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #713
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Again, you're avoiding having to back up that my claim was irrelevant. Why is it irrelevant?
    I stated it in my comment that you "conveniently" misquoted. Procreation is irrelevant. It is the rearing of children that is one aspect that benefits the state. Doesn't matter in the least whether the children are biological, step, or adopted. Get it yet?


    Is it "the" reason? No, and I've never claimed as much (as pointed out above).
    The state could care less whether people procreate. Rearing children is what matters. Being married is what matters. Childless couples benefit the state moreso than single people...in all the ways I mentioned in the post that you agreed with.

    So, now tell us...what is your position on this?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #714
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What do you think the main reason for marriage is? What role should government play in marriage? Why?
    I believe marriage benefits society, and as such, should be supported/promoted by government.

  5. #715
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I believe marriage benefits society, and as such, should be supported/promoted by government.
    Would you like to tell us why...and expand on this a bit?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #716
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I believe marriage benefits society, and as such, should be supported/promoted by government.
    And to bring this around to topic, how do you fit the topic of gay marriage into this. Does it too benefit society, and why or why not?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #717
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Firstly, people can dedicate their lives to each other and start a family without procreation. Secondly, procreation is irrelevant to rearing children, as children reared through adoption do just as well.
    Procreation is irrelevant to rearing adopted children perhaps, but hardly irrelevant to the vast majority of families. For most of us who decide to have families, procreation is the desired route. [Needless to say, adopted children do not do"just as well" but are more likely to suffer depression and self-esteem problems, and deal with abandonment issues. The vast majority desire information on their birth-parents.]

    Further, it benefits society when people procreate within a marriage. It's nice that people have the opportunity to adopt children, but it's maybe better for society if the child that came from the 17 year old girl arrived a few years later, in a stable home.

    Let's not forget that many (most?) couples who do adopt did so after trying (unsuccessfully) to procreate. As I stated, "It's good for society when people want to dedicate their lives to each other and start a family" -

  8. #718
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The state could care less whether people procreate.
    Absurd.

    The state cares very much about procreation. A healthy society demands sufficient population to pay taxes and fund programs.

    On the family level, it can be detrimental when procreation occurs in single-parent households, as the state is more likley to have to subsidize (same goes for polygamy).

  9. #719
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And to bring this around to topic, how do you fit the topic of gay marriage into this. Does it too benefit society, and why or why not?
    That's the million dollar question. All else being equal, I don't think it benefits society as much as heterosexual marriage. I'll have to fill in the why's tomorrow - gotta sleep!

  10. #720
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It's a major reason for why the state should recognize marriage.
    So are you saying that gays cannot have kids? If not then why go this route?

    PS: Word to the wise...becareful how you respond to CC about weather or not homosexual marriage "benefits society as much as heterosexual marriage". He's got a whole slew of links. Which I've no doubt that he's got tagged for use for just such discussions.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •