Page 71 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #701
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    My position has been consistent on this and every thread I post in regards to this topic. Here is the backbone of my position:



    Taylor misrepresented my quote in a desperate but vain effort to bolster her position...a position that does not look at the whole picture. Since then I have been attempting to get her to state her position...which she seems to refuse to do.

    There. Now you are up to speed.
    You say this is a major reason. What is the additional reason(s) please?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #702
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    We'll call this #2:

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Taylor, you think Procreation is the main reason for marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    No, no - I never said "the main reason" and the context was a bit broader than just procreation.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Ah...so now your backing off, eh? So why don't you tell us what you really mean.
    CC claims I was “backing off” but can’t provide any proof (because it’s not true).

  3. #703
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    We'll call this #2:




    CC claims I was “backing off” but can’t provide any proof (because it’s not true).
    What do you think the main reason for marriage is? What role should government play in marriage? Why?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #704
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You say this is a major reason. What is the additional reason(s) please?
    Again, I have posted this in this thread, too...and MANY others. In fact, my comment here was supporting Taylor's comment that was similar. That is why her altering her position is confusing and why it seems like she may not know where she actually stands. Here is my full position on this:

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I agree. This IS the heart of the matter. Marriage is recognized by the state because it has been shown to produce a healthier and more stable society. Folks who are married live longer, report being happier, tend to be more stable in their jobs and in societal endeavors. Most importantly, they are most adept at rearing children and provide the most stable of environments. Evidence of this is across the board...regardless of sexual orientation. All of this benefits society, and by proxy, the government and country. A more stable, happier populace creates a more stable, happier society. Ultimately, by using the family/societal benefits defense, which I always present, this is a simple debate to win. There is no valid counterpoint, other than eliminating marriage, altogether. Unfortunately, too many pro-GMs are bent on the "rights" position, a loser position because it always gets bogged down in semantics.
    Taylor agreed with my position on this.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 12-21-09 at 03:49 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #705
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Here we go:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Procreation is always brought up by the anti-GM group as a reason to deny gays the right to marry their partner. Despite the fact that not everyone that gets married has or wants or can have kids. They act as if its the only reason to marry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It's a major reason for why the state should recognize marriage.
    When confronted on this statement you have refused to clarify...and when you misquoted me, you solidified your position by stating that the rearing of children was irrelevant to your position...logically demonstrating that procreation was the major part of your argument.

    OK, so now you have been refuted X2. Want to try for the hat trick?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #706
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Here we go:





    When confronted on this statement you have refused to clarify...and when you misquoted me, you solidified your position by stating that the rearing of children was irrelevant to your position...logically demonstrating that procreation was the major part of your argument.

    OK, so now you have been refuted X2. Want to try for the hat trick?
    Would you please for the love of God stop lying about her position?

    What she said

    No, no - I never said "the main reason" and the context was a bit broader than just procreation.
    And said

    It's a major reason for why the state should recognize marriage.
    Do you understand the difference between main and major or does that have to be spoofed you as well?

    There is a clear distinction but your refusal to see and admit it has been the mainstay of all your arguments on this issue. Misinformation, logical fallacy and downright circumvention of the truth is the mainstay of your arguments and its getting tiresome.

    And don't worry, I haven't forgotten about responding to you, I simply don't have the time right now.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #707
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Again, I have posted this in this thread, too...and MANY others. In fact, my comment here was supporting Taylor's comment that was similar. That is why her altering her position is confusing and why it seems like she may not know where she actually stands. Here is my full position on this:



    Taylor agree with my position on this.
    Thanks CC. Sorry for asking you to repeat yourself, but with over 700 posts in this thread alone, it's easy to miss some, and to forget you read some.

    As an aside, your argument sounds very much like what I see as a very liberal position, that the government can make the country better, and should in some ways. Marriage makes the country better, so the government should recognize and regulate it. Not an important point, but just a kind of observation.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #708
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Would you please for the love of God stop lying about her position?

    What she said



    And said



    Do you understand the difference between main and major or does that have to be spoofed you as well?

    There is a clear distinction but your refusal to see and admit it has been the mainstay of all your arguments on this issue. Misinformation, logical fallacy and downright circumvention of the truth is the mainstay of your arguments and its getting tiresome.

    And don't worry, I haven't forgotten about responding to you, I simply don't have the time right now.
    textmaster! Your back! Still not getting it, though, I see. That's OK...I'm here to help you understand things better.

    Oh, and btw, textmaster. Procreation is neither a main nor major issue. That's the point and why Taylor's misquote was so inaccurate. Gald to help to educate you on that.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 12-21-09 at 03:51 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #709
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Thanks CC. Sorry for asking you to repeat yourself, but with over 700 posts in this thread alone, it's easy to miss some, and to forget you read some.

    As an aside, your argument sounds very much like what I see as a very liberal position, that the government can make the country better, and should in some ways. Marriage makes the country better, so the government should recognize and regulate it. Not an important point, but just a kind of observation.
    This is true. And procreation is neither a prerequisite for this, nor either a main nor major point. It is irrelevant. Child REARING is the relevant issue. Unfortunately, some folks just don't seem to understand that.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #710
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Context for #2

    Here's what I originally said in context:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Procreation is always brought up by the anti-GM group as a reason to deny gays the right to marry their partner. Despite the fact that not everyone that gets married has or wants or can have kids. They act as if its the only reason to marry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It's a major reason for why the state should recognize marriage.
    ^^ First, I did not say that procreation was “the main reason” but a major reason. There can be many “major” reasons for something, but only one “main” reason. Second, my comment wasn’t concerning “procreation” so much as procreation as it relates to people who “have or want to have kids”

    Hence my later comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    No, no - I never said "the main reason" and the context was a bit broader than just procreation.
    And the still unsubstantiated:
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Ah...so now your backing off, eh? So why don't you tell us what you really mean.
    I've been entirely consistent and haven't "backed up" one iota from my initial statement.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •