Page 6 of 149 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #51
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,159

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    The majority is irrelevant when discussing individual liberties.
    No that is not true.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Has nothing to do with that.
    Yes it does.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    There's no right to marriage, period, in the Constitution, so what's your point?
    That your statement "mob rule voting away the rights of others" is completely irrelevant, thanks for making my point.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,159

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    A lot of stuff isn't in the Constitution because it didn't exist, wasn't thought of, or wasn't acceptable at the time and yet, now we have lots of things the Constitution and our laws have been adapted to allow or create.
    I'm not claiming otherwise.

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm not claiming otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Even if true, there is no right to gay marriage in the Constitution.
    Then the above comment is irrelevant.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #54
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    i know that, I meant exactly how they would. The same way the 'interfered' with the Gun Ban?
    "Interfere" was probably the wrong word. I should have written, "If they stop the law." Or I am totally confused by what you are asking for.
    Last edited by Alex; 12-15-09 at 09:17 PM.
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    "Interfere" was probably the wrong word. I should have written, "If they stop the law." Or I am totally confused by what you are asking for.
    No, I got ya now.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    They can be amended or repealed.
    So much work...it's easier just to stop this legislation from happening in the first place.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,159

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I'm curious, though. Since gay marriage only affects gays, wouldn't it make sense to find out if the majority of gays would support it? I've always wondered how gay marriage affects non-gays...and have yet to hear a legitimate answer that does not affect marriage as a whole.
    Don't know where you're going, but:
    1) I'll go out on a limb and say that yes, the majority of gays support it.
    2) It affects gays and non-gays
    3) Haven't thought through whether or not it affects marriage as a whole, but am wondering why it's relevant

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    And laws can be reinterpreted based on current societal needs.
    Clearly, but that's still changing a law.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Nor is the right to use the internet. You are under arrest. See how silly that argument is?
    I didn't make that argument.

    The argument was that you can't have "mob rule voting away the rights of others [wrt gay marriage]" when there's no right to begin with.

  8. #58
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    The majority is irrelevant when discussing individual liberties.
    I bet you would be proven wrong, if there were enough anti-gun politicos elected to Congress. All the Libbos that support this comment, wouldn't be there then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,159

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Then the above comment is irrelevant.
    It's relevant to the discussion that was taking place:

    Again, jallman implied there was some sort of constitutional right supporting gay marriage.

    There is no right to gay marriage in the constitution.

  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Don't know where you're going, but:
    1) I'll go out on a limb and say that yes, the majority of gays support it.
    OK.
    2) It affects gays and non-gays
    How does it affect non-gays?

    3) Haven't thought through whether or not it affects marriage as a whole, but am wondering why it's relevant
    The only legitimate argument I have ever seen that rejects GM is from those who do not support special privileges for ANYONE who is married. That's what I meant.


    Clearly, but that's still changing a law.
    No, it's not. It is using existing law to address a new situation.


    I didn't make that argument.

    The argument was that you can't have "mob rule voting away the rights of others [wrt gay marriage]" when there's no right to begin with.
    Here's what you said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Even if true, there is no right to gay marriage in the Constitution.
    Thank you for the clarification. Do you understand my point that just because something is not specifically spelled out in the Constitution does not mean it is not covered by the Constitution?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 6 of 149 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •