Page 59 of 149 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #581
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Don't treat me as stupid. Lay out your argument, I can handle it.
    Ok,

    First off after the DC Council decide to pass any law the US Congress must sign off on it, hence with the City Council passing this law 11-2 it needs to get approval from Congress to be made law. While I agree that their is more then enough votes for it to be passed, is this a fight that Congress and Mr. Obama really wants right now.

    Conserative Democrat and Main Stream Republicans in Congress have already started to make some noise that they will fight this law when it come's time for Congress to vote on it.

    Then their is the two States that the District is part of Maryland and Virgina both have said nothing publicly but it has been reported in Maryland that if it does go into Law then you will see what happen in Maine a puplic drive to put it to a vote by the People of Maryland which most likely would force Virgina to do the same thing.

  2. #582
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Ok,

    First off after the DC Council decide to pass any law the US Congress must sign off on it, hence with the City Council passing this law 11-2 it needs to get approval from Congress to be made law. While I agree that their is more then enough votes for it to be passed, is this a fight that Congress and Mr. Obama really wants right now.

    Conserative Democrat and Main Stream Republicans in Congress have already started to make some noise that they will fight this law when it come's time for Congress to vote on it.

    Then their is the two States that the District is part of Maryland and Virgina both have said nothing publicly but it has been reported in Maryland that if it does go into Law then you will see what happen in Maine a puplic drive to put it to a vote by the People of Maryland which most likely would force Virgina to do the same thing.
    DC is a part of Maryland and Virginia now? Or are you talking about setting precedents...

  3. #583
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Ok,

    First off after the DC Council decide to pass any law the US Congress must sign off on it, hence with the City Council passing this law 11-2 it needs to get approval from Congress to be made law. While I agree that their is more then enough votes for it to be passed, is this a fight that Congress and Mr. Obama really wants right now.

    Conserative Democrat and Main Stream Republicans in Congress have already started to make some noise that they will fight this law when it come's time for Congress to vote on it.

    Then their is the two States that the District is part of Maryland and Virgina both have said nothing publicly but it has been reported in Maryland that if it does go into Law then you will see what happen in Maine a puplic drive to put it to a vote by the People of Maryland which most likely would force Virgina to do the same thing.
    There will probably not be much of a fight in congress, it will most likely slide through relatively quietly. Right now you have a few in congress saying what they need to to please their constituents, but as you point out, it's pretty clear that the votes are there, so it's just noisemaking.

    Maryland and Virginia are irrelevant. DC is not a part of either.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #584
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    DC is a part of Maryland and Virginia now? Or are you talking about setting precedents...
    That got me too. I always thought that D.C. was separated from the states in the Constitution and ultimate control of it was in the hands of Congress. What do Virginia and Maryland have to do with anything?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #585
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That got me too. I always thought that D.C. was separated from the states in the Constitution and ultimate control of it was in the hands of Congress. What do Virginia and Maryland have to do with anything?
    Really then someone needs to tell them that allof the Tax Money they send to DC needs to be given back.

    Also the Virgina and Maryland State police need to be told they have no Legal Say in the District either and that they should stop patroling in DC also.

  6. #586
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There will probably not be much of a fight in congress, it will most likely slide through relatively quietly. Right now you have a few in congress saying what they need to to please their constituents, but as you point out, it's pretty clear that the votes are there, so it's just noisemaking.
    Don't under estimated the type of fight this will cause. The same thing was aid about Maine and Calf. and look what happen their.

    Their are a quite a number of High Ranking republican who wouldn't mind more then to turn this into a real battle and force Mr. Obama and the Democrats into a fight they really don't want. Plus don't forget Congress is the one's who okay the Districts budget and while congress might have the Vote to over turn anything the Republicans might try they don't have the means to stop a real big fight on the Floor.

    All it will take is a few Republican stepping up and introducing a bill to stop the District Funding over this law.

  7. #587
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Don't under estimated the type of fight this will cause. The same thing was aid about Maine and Calf. and look what happen their.

    Their are a quite a number of High Ranking republican who wouldn't mind more then to turn this into a real battle and force Mr. Obama and the Democrats into a fight they really don't want. Plus don't forget Congress is the one's who okay the Districts budget and while congress might have the Vote to over turn anything the Republicans might try they don't have the means to stop a real big fight on the Floor.

    All it will take is a few Republican stepping up and introducing a bill to stop the District Funding over this law.
    Which won't happen, at least not effectively. I don't see such a bill ever getting out of committee, and being used against anyone who proposed it. Having control of congress gives some extraordinary power which the democrats have not used effectively. However, in this case, it would be trivial to block such a measure.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #588
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Really then someone needs to tell them that allof the Tax Money they send to DC needs to be given back.

    Also the Virgina and Maryland State police need to be told they have no Legal Say in the District either and that they should stop patroling in DC also.
    Why am I not surprised you have nothing to add then your usual authoritarian posts that are devoid of any serious knowledge? Here. Considering I have time today to smack you around a little why don't you look up Article 1 Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution. Tell me what it says. Okay? Wait. I'll do that for you :

    Quote Originally Posted by Powers of Congress
    To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;—And
    And what do Virginia and Maryland law enforcement have to do with policing D.C.? D.C. has it's own police force? Metropolitan police.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-19-09 at 05:14 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #589
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government
    I wonder what that means...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #590
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I wonder what that means...
    Yeah I don't understand what they meant by 'particular' either.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •