Page 56 of 149 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #551
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I don't think he was asking me. I think he was asking those who either demonstrated that they do not understand the difference, or those who refuse to answer because it destroys their position...textmaster and Charles.
    Exactly right.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #552
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Exactly right.
    My bad then. Sowwy about that.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #553
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    My bad then. Sowwy about that.
    Np. Twas my bad actually I think. I had thought I had put Charles Martel's name in the post. Guess I didn't. Sorry about that.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #554
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I don't think he was asking me. I think he was asking those who either demonstrated that they do not understand the difference, or those who refuse to answer because it destroys their position...textmaster and Charles.
    CC: I want to change the law!

    Texmaster: Why?

    CC: Because I want to! Look I have a theory!

    Texmaster: Where's your evidence to support your theory?

    CC: But I have a theory!

    Again, where is your evidence to support your theory? This is a law you want to change

    CC: You're not smart enough to understand!

    Texmaster: Still no evidence huh
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #555
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    CC: I want to change the law!

    Texmaster: Why?

    CC: Because I want to! Look I have a theory!

    Texmaster: Where's your evidence to support your theory?

    CC: But I have a theory!

    Again, where is your evidence to support your theory? This is a law you want to change

    CC: You're not smart enough to understand!

    Texmaster: Still no evidence huh
    CC hs never presented a theory or made a claim as to the cause of orientation. When you have to stoop to entirely misrepresenting some one elses words, it shows you are grasping.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #556
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    CC: I want to change the law!

    Texmaster: Why?

    CC: Because I want to! Look I have a theory!

    Texmaster: Where's your evidence to support your theory?

    CC: But I have a theory!

    Again, where is your evidence to support your theory? This is a law you want to change

    CC: You're not smart enough to understand!

    Texmaster: Still no evidence huh


    Oblivion. Some people are just really good at it.

  7. #557
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    CC: I want to change the law!

    Texmaster: Why?

    CC: Because I want to! Look I have a theory!

    Texmaster: Where's your evidence to support your theory?

    CC: But I have a theory!

    Again, where is your evidence to support your theory? This is a law you want to change

    CC: You're not smart enough to understand!

    Texmaster: Still no evidence huh

  8. #558
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    CC: I want to change the law!

    Texmaster: Why?

    CC: Because I want to! Look I have a theory!

    Texmaster: Where's your evidence to support your theory?

    CC: But I have a theory!

    Again, where is your evidence to support your theory? This is a law you want to change

    CC: You're not smart enough to understand!

    Texmaster: Still no evidence huh
    Don't cry textmaster. I'm sure it's sad when you can't debate, when your position is in ruins, and everyone sees that you've got nothing. But we just don't need to see this display of emotional frustration. I'm sure if you opened your mind just a crack, and read the thread, you might actually learn something about this issue...besides that you are wrong and have been shown that, logically. Give it a try.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #559
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    CC hs never presented a theory or made a claim as to the cause of orientation. When you have to stoop to entirely misrepresenting some one elses words, it shows you are grasping.
    But we've known he is grasping since his first post in the thread. All that post does is further validate that.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #560
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    When thinking about this thread, I realized that I was remiss. Now, we all know that the position espoused by Charles Martel and textmaster has no credence, validity, or logic. But their are two questions that have not been asked but should be.

    The first has been asked of me before: "Why continuously refute such obvious inaccuracies and irrelevancies? Doesn't that give their incorrect positions play and attention?"

    The answer to this question is simple. Though most folks with the ability to understand and logically deduce the inaccuracy of the positions presented by Charles and textmaster, there is the possibility that one who is on the fence, or one who is fairly uneducated on this issue may wander by. Providing them with erroneous information, as these two do, is a great disservice to an important component of this site: education. You wouldn't want your kids going to school and being taught that 2+2=5. Hence, I see it as important to expose positions such as those presented by those two as what they are: invalid and inaccurate.

    Now, the second question that comes to mind is why are their positions invalid and inaccurate. Well, to answer this question, one must go to the heart of what debating is. When one debates, a fairly standard procedure is followed. One chooses a position, or a premise and presents it. Once that premise is presented, in order to lend validity and accuracy to it, there are two possible methods that one can use: information substantiation (proof) or deductive logic. Now, the former method is quite obvious. Want to prove that someone's house is white? Get a picture of it. The second method is a bit more complicated. You are proving a position without direct evidence, but through logic. An example of this would be in math: we know that A=B; we also know that B=C; without being told, we therefore know that A=C. This is logical reasoning, and is an important component in debate.

    Now when looking at the position and the debating tactics of textmaster and Charles Martel, one easily finds serious flaws in their debating that make their position invalid. Let us first look at Charles'.

    There are two main flaws in Charles' position. Upon analysis, one notices that he actually has two premises: 1) One who engages in a heterosexual act is heterosexual and; 2) Procreation is the most important thing one can do.

    The first one's flaw is easy to demonstrate. Charles does not distinguish between sexual orientation and sexual behavior. He refuses to address this issue, refuses to define the issue, and diverts when the issue is presented. Yet, his premise links the two...yet he refuses to address it. Since he cannot link these two things in any valid or definitive way, his position is not credible. This is why he refuses to define the issue: the definition would destroy his argument.

    The second one's flaw is just as easy to demonstrate...to the trained eye. Charles does a very good job describing, logically, how and why procreation being the most important thing one can do proves that one who procreates is heterosexual. But here's the problem: he starts off with a false and unprovable premise. It would be like this. Let's say that my premise was that 2+2=5. I then deduced, quite accurately, that because the addition of two even numbers always equals another even number, 5 MUST be an even number. My deductive reasoning is completely sound and valid. Yet I am wrong. How is that? My initial premise was false and not provable. This is the essence of Charles' mistake. He offers no proof that procreating is the most important thing one can do. He offers it as a given...yet it is just an opinion, one of his. This is not proof and can therefore be dismissed even before examining his argument. His argument might be valid. Yet he is wrong and his position is not credible because he starts with a false premise. Sorry Charles, but 2+2 5. Therefore, based on the non-logic of BOTH of your premises, your position is invalid and has no credibility. I suppose you are going to have to create a new one, now, in order to present whatever your agenda is. This one didn't cut it.

    Now, textmaster is far easier. Firstly, he also falls into the refusal to define the difference between sexual behavior and sexual orientation trap. Not surprising, since it would, too, destroy his position. But let's look at the premise he presents. Textmaster's position seems to be twofold: 1) Since only procreation can only occur through a heterosexual act, the only "inherited" orientation must be heterosexuality and; 2) Since we were designed to procreate, heterosexuality must be natural. Now, at first glance, you might say, "there is so much wrong with both of these statements, I wouldn't where to begin"...and you'd be right about that.

    The first premise is circular reasoning. One must be heterosexual because one was created through a heterosexual act? It might be more than circular reasoning. I might just be pure nonsense. This demonstrates his inability to understand the difference between sexual behavior and sexual orientation. But it also illustrates the lack of understanding of sexual orientation itself. If one presumes that homosexual orientation may not be inherited, and since heterosexuality is just another form of a sexual orientation, deductive reasoning dictates that heterosexuality TOO may not be inherited. If it is unclear where sexual orientation originates, that INCLUDES heterosexuality. Notice that textmaster omits this point. And notice that his point has been shredded in two different logical ways.

    The second point is far easier. It is a classic appeal to nature logical fallacy. First he presumes that humans were designed to procreate. He offers no evidence nor logic to substantiate this. This is, as with Charles, a false premise...already negating anything that comes afterward. But let's continue anyway. Because we are designed to procreate, heterosexuality, the act of procreation must be natural. This is the appeal to nature fallacy, stating that because something appears in nature, it must be right. There are two problems with this. First, even if it IS natural, that does not make it right. Second, homosexuality also occurs in nature, so on the right/wrong scale it is equivalent to heterosexuality. So, as one can see, there is no logic in this position. It is therefore invalid.

    I hope this has been educational for you all...especially Charles and textmaster. I am always happy to instruct on how to debate correctly and not fall into the fallacies and inaccuracies that we have seen by these two posters. Correcting the lack of credibility that they presented is what I would consider a public service: it allows inaccurate information to be stamped as such so folks will know not to believe it.

    I thank you for your attention. This post is worth 3 credits in Debate at your local Community College.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •