Page 36 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #351
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,163

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Foot fetish. Are your familiar with the term? A person who reaches orgasm but having his foot fondled. Seem like 'deviant' behavior? Not if you understand that the genitalia nerves are right next to the foot nerves in the brain, and, to the extent those nerve bunldes may overlap in a person's brain...

    Are you starting to understand? You can't control the way your brain is wired.
    You've selected some unfortunate examples to try to prove your point. The somatosensory cortex is most certainly not "hardwired." It is considered a very plastic region of the brain and will indeed "rewire itself" based on behavior.

  2. #352
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,163

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    You can't control the way your brain is wired.
    And... speaking in generic terms, your argument is simply not supported by the facts.

    Current Biology (2007) "Structural Plasticity: Rewiring the Brain"
    Far from being hard-wired and static, the brain is capable of dramatic reorganisation. As we learn new skills or acquire novel experiences, our brain cells alter the way in which they respond to the outside world to reflect our changing circumstances. These changes in our behaviour and brain function are probably accompanied by structural alterations in the brain. Indeed, in studies on animal brains, it has been possible to visualise very localised structural changes...
    See also:
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_plasticity[/ame]
    The adult brain is not "hard-wired" with fixed and immutable neuronal circuits. There are many instances of cortical and subcortical rewiring of neuronal circuits in response to training as well as in response to injury.

    Decades of research have now shown that substantial changes occur in the lowest neocortical processing areas, and that these changes can profoundly alter the pattern of neuronal activation in response to experience. According to the theory of neuroplasticity, thinking, learning, and acting actually change both the brain's physical structure (anatomy) and functional organization (physiology) from top to bottom. Neuroscientists are presently engaged in a reconciliation of critical period studies demonstrating the immutability of the brain after development with the new findings on neuroplasticity, which reveal the mutability of both structural and functional aspects. A substantial paradigm shift is now under way: Canadian psychiatrist Norman Doidge has in fact stated that neuroplasticity is "one of the most extraordinary discoveries of the twentieth century."
    Last edited by Taylor; 12-17-09 at 06:20 PM.

  3. #353
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    This is the best argument I have seen for GM. Wow. I may have to cut and paste it and save it in my personal files! Bravo, Captain, bravo! (I can't wait to see what the response is. )

    Thank you. I've been making this argument here at DP for a couple of years...and have gotten a few other posters from both sides of the issue to agree. It's a position that can't be beaten. If you want more information, I can certainly PM you.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #354
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderRabbit08 View Post
    Just like it was a loser argument in Brown v Board of Education and Hernandez v Texas?

    Look how long it took the Court to overturn "separate but equal". Was discrimination a loser argument for blacks during the years between Plessy and Brown?
    Completely different issues. In these cases, Blacks were not receiving the same rights as Whites. There were different services being provided. When it comes to marriage, gays and straights have the same rights under the law. There is no discrimination in that sense. Like I said, when it comes to gay rights, it's a loser argument.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #355
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    I wasn't addressing you specifically in that statement.
    Good to know.



    You are making my point for me.

    There is no public vote ever that supported a gay marriage bill.

    They did not want to risk the vote knowing the 0-31 record so they denied the vote by the people.

    I ask you again, why are you not disappointed by this decision to stop the people from voting on the issue? Is it because you support GM?
    You just made my point for ME. Thank you. Public officials serve the people. These folks decided to deny the people the vote. Not their place to do that.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #356
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I'm just curious but how do you feel about oral sex?
    It's a sexual behavior, why?
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  7. #357
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Really. Prove it.

    List the studies you are claiming support this theory of yours.

    If your goal is to equate the sexual desire of homosexuals with the millions of years of heterosexual procreation and attraction, not to mention the compatibility of sexual organs for procreation between males and females, then you will need more than your pompous attitude and holier than thou rhetoric to convince others.
    Again, all you demonstrate above is a complete lack of understanding of the issue and the tactic of using logical fallacies to attempt to prove your position. Let me demostrate:

    In the above you used the appeal to nature fallacy "not to mention the compatibility of sexual organs for procreation between males and females" and the Argumentum ad antiquitatem (the argument to antiquity or tradition) "If your goal is to equate the sexual desire of homosexuals with the millions of years of heterosexual procreation and attraction". Or, in other words, what you posted is illogical and irrelevant.



    Of course. How could I possibly think nature would make the opposite sexes attracted to each other. LOL
    Appeal to nature logical fallacy. Illogical and therefore irrelevant.

    So, for all the species of the world that populate with one male one female reproduction, please explain how we are not genetically inclined to be attracted to the opposite sex.

    This is the dumbest argument you have made yet. You want to cast aside millions of years of evolution and procreation based on nothing but your own self satisfying theory.
    Like I said...yours was one of the most foolish comments I have seen at DP...and you continue to make it worse. It is both circular reasoning (heterosexuality is natural because that is how someone is born ) and another Appeal to Nature fallacy. You may want to hone up on your debate skills and avoid all these fallacies. You're really making this quite easy for me.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #358
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Homosexuality CAN BE a choice.
    No. Homosexual behavior can be a choice.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #359
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    No need to tell, go stand in front of the mirror....do you know or are you aware of a sexual behavior more important than the one resulting in what's looking back at you in the mirror?

    Your parents.......were not gay. Even if one had left shortly after your birth and joined the Flaming Circus of Stars gay movement and took on a lover of the same gender....NOTHING either of your parents would ever do in the future being 'gay' will ever equal the single act that produced you. They're heteros is the point...you define that for them.
    This is a completely untrue theory. Procreation does NOT define one's sexuality.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #360
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's easy enough to defeat his argument by addressing his points.
    Jerry is proven wrong here, my evidence is he hasn't addressed my argument...at all. It's a standard tactic, one merely claims they could defeat your arguments....then never addresses the topic.

    You voted for Obama, didn't you?
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •