Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,291
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    We just get a little antsy when the legislature deny the people the right to vote on an issue. Not something you liberals care much about as long as its in your favor.
    The legeslature is elected for a reason. Want to take a guess what that reason is?

    And there is no human rights law. Nice try.
    http://ohr.dc.gov/ohr/LIB/ohr/pdf/hra_toc.pdf

    Turns out there is in fact just such a law.

    So if a man and a 12 year old girl wanted to marry and the council who supported it denied a vote to stop the decision by the people to vote citing "human rights" you would support it as well?


    Step into my parlor said the spider to the fly....
    The topic is gay marriage. Nice attempt to make an emotional trap question, but I am not playing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #22
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by MsRetro View Post
    How about we revisit that one when 12 year olds are able to legally enter into contracts?
    How about we visit it now?

    The entire point is the hypocrisy of this argument by the pro gay marriage crowd.

    They only cite this "human rights" bs when its on this particular issue but they as whole ignore it when other alternative lifestyles would try for the same "right"

    Last time I checked we were all human so it should apply to everyone.

    Its hypocrisy at its finest and its the same argument the religious right makes citing a moral reason to deny gay marriage. To claim it is a "human right" but only limit the definition to people who want a 2 person same sex marriage is the ultimate in hypocrisy.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  3. #23
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The legeslature is elected for a reason. Want to take a guess what that reason is?
    To deny the people a right to vote when they ask?

    http://ohr.dc.gov/ohr/LIB/ohr/pdf/hra_toc.pdf

    Turns out there is in fact just such a law.
    My apologies you are correct. (see it can be done. Wish you would try it when you are mistaken)

    Only one problem though. There is no marriage section so it doesn't apply.

    The topic is gay marriage. Nice attempt to make an emotional trap question, but I am not playing.
    Because it exposes the hypocritical nature of your argument using the "human rights" defense.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    How about we visit it now?

    The entire point is the hypocrisy of this argument by the pro gay marriage crowd.

    They only cite this "human rights" bs when its on this particular issue but they as whole ignore it when other alternative lifestyles would try for the same "right"

    Last time I checked we were all human so it should apply to everyone.

    Its hypocrisy at its finest and its the same argument the religious right makes citing a moral reason to deny gay marriage. To claim it is a "human right" but only limit the definition to people who want a 2 person same sex marriage is the ultimate in hypocrisy.
    Are you trying to make a wedge of cheese or what? At least it will give something to nibble on.

    hint: I'm speaking metaphorically in realtion to your avatar

  5. #25
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Are you trying to make a wedge of cheese or what? At least it will give something to nibble on.

    hint: I'm speaking metaphorically in realtion to your avatar
    I'm trying to get some who support gay marriage to see the hypocritical nature of using "human rights" as an argument to allow gay marriage.

    You use that argument you cannot deny any human couple or group the same "right"
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    How about we visit it now?
    Nah. I'm gonna have to ask you to go ahead and stay in reality for now, ok? That'd be greeeeaaaat.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    I'm trying to get some who support gay marriage to see the hypocritical nature of using "human rights" as an argument to allow gay marriage.

    You use that argument you cannot deny any human couple or group the same "right"
    That's totally false. Children cannot enter into legal contracts. Also, the power disparity issue between a child and an adult make it such that the partnership would be defined by an inherent inequality which also undermines human rights.

    So yeah...that little line you're peddling about hypocrisy? That dog don't hunt.

  8. #28
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,291
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    To deny the people a right to vote when they ask?
    "the people" did not ask to vote. A few people did.



    My apologies you are correct. (see it can be done. Wish you would try it when you are mistaken)

    Only one problem though. There is no marriage section so it doesn't apply.
    Read the law please. Let me quote from it:

    Every individual shall have an equal opportunity to participate fully in the economic, cultural and intellectual life of the District and to have an equal opportunity to participate in all aspects of life, including, but not limited to, in employment, in places of public accommodation, resort or amusement, in educational institutions, in public service, and in housing and commercial space accommodations.
    Seems pretty clear to me.

    Because it exposes the hypocritical nature of your argument using the "human rights" defense.
    No, it's an attempt to tie two unrelated things together. Gay marriage is an entirely separate issue from pedophilia. These old tactics are just that, old.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    I'm trying to get some who support gay marriage to see the hypocritical nature of using "human rights" as an argument to allow gay marriage.

    You use that argument you cannot deny any human couple or group the same "right"
    I think most are arguing rights under the law.

  10. #30
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Then explain how they didn't circumvent the people when they denied a vote on this very issue?
    Because we live in a republic where we elect representatives to pass laws for us?

    Not every place in the country is California (thank ****ing God). Some places simply are not as open to direct voter referenda as others, and that's fine. If we the people don't like the decisions our elected representatives make, we can vote them out of office. Not that that will happen, as Mayor Fenty is terrific.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-15-09 at 08:16 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •