Page 28 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #271
    Advisor wbreese91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Marietta, Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    407

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    So now you're not only making up arguments for me, but creating contexts as well?

    Had you bothered to actually view the post in context, you would have seen that I was specifically responding to a point that someone else made in reference to why there should be federal involvement in marriage.
    I didn't make your argument I interpreted a vague statement of federal law. I also find it laughable that your post makes even less sense in the context you gave. The federal government should be involved, because it already is? I think not.
    “Justitia suum cuique distribuit” Justice renders to every one his due

    - Cicero

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    I hope by stately gentlemen, you don't mean parliament those guys are nuts


    Nay sir! Nay! I merely wish for the vocabulary and grammar of our posts to lend themselves to an air of stateliness and gentleman-hood.

  3. #273
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,169

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    I also find it laughable that your post makes even less sense in the context you gave. The federal government should be involved, because it already is? I think not.
    You find it laughable because you are again (go figure) arguing with yourself!

  4. #274
    Advisor wbreese91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Marietta, Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    407

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You find it laughable because you are again (go figure) arguing with yourself!
    Then why don't you state clearly what you mean, pray tell? If you don't want us to interpret don't blindly throw around federal statutes and then complain when people don't understand an argument that was never developed in the first place.
    “Justitia suum cuique distribuit” Justice renders to every one his due

    - Cicero

  5. #275
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,169

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    Then why don't you state clearly what you mean, pray tell?
    I'll make you a deal. You go back and take the simple steps to find the original post and put it into context by tracing replies. If it still doesn't make sense, paste what you've found and we'll talk further.

  6. #276
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    He just did. You didn't read his response.
    No she didn't. Not at all.

    If you use an argument of "human rights" to argue for gay marriage and it is upheld based on that argument, you could never limit any humans in any number from demanding the same thing based on the same argument.
    That's irrelevant, since I NEVER use the human rights position to argue for GM. It's a loser of a position.

    Then you should be disappointed in this board denying the vote by the people. Yet you are not. Why?
    Because if elected officials vote for something when the majority of their constituency did not support it, the officials are not doing their jobs.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #277
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You certainly have a lot to say about an issue that doesn't "affect you in the least"
    That's precisely why it should be allowed. It doesn't affect those not involved...in the least. Thought you would have figured that out by now.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #278
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    I wanted to put these two quotes in the same post because though they seem to not be connected, they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It's the part I've always thought was important. Whether or not gay marriage (recognized by the state) makes for a better society is what's at the heart of the debate.
    I agree. This IS the heart of the matter. Marriage is recognized by the state because it has been shown to produce a healthier and more stable society. Folks who are married live longer, report being happier, tend to be more stable in their jobs and in societal endeavors. Most importantly, they are most adept at rearing children and provide the most stable of environments. Evidence of this is across the board...regardless of sexual orientation. All of this benefits society, and by proxy, the government and country. A more stable, happier populace creates a more stable, happier society. Ultimately, by using the family/societal benefits defense, which I always present, this is a simple debate to win. There is no valid counterpoint, other than eliminating marriage, altogether. Unfortunately, too many pro-GMs are bent on the "rights" position, a loser position because it always gets bogged down in semantics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Compare relative strengths of cultures that promote monogamy vs cultures that promote polygamy and you'll have your answer.
    I wanted this post here because of the standard polygamy slippery slope position presented by many anti-GMs. It is a weak and non-sensical position, simply because polygamy does NOT create the same benefits that singular marriage does. Therefore, the government has no vested interest in supporting it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #279
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    That is not only false it is completely unsupported by any factual data whatsoever.

    Explain bi-sexuals

    Explain people who come out of the closet 40 or 50 years later

    Explain people who go back to being straight after some religous retreat.

    The facts are homosexuality has never ever been proven to be an inherited or genetic trait.

    The fruit fly study has already been proven false and not even the same species and the twin study couldn't even conclude that even in twins when one decides they are gay in even 50% of the cases the other twin who shares the EXACT same genetic structure decides they are gay. Furthermore, the number went down even further when the twins didn't grow up together.

    Its time to face reality. Your claims have absolutely no factual backing at all while people who come out decades later, change their sexual orientation back to straight give far more evidence that it is a psychological choice to become homosexual.
    You do not understand the difference between homosexual behavior and homosexual orientation, or why someone would "stay in the closet for 40 years." Nothing in your post demonstrated any understanding of this issue at all. Sexual orienation is not something that is changed. Sexual behavior can be.

    Heterosexuality is genetically inherited because only heterosexual sex allows any species to procreate.
    This is the most foolish statement I have seen in a long time. It is circular reasoning and completely illogical.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #280
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Me personally, I think all government sanctioned unions should be civil unions and then let whatever institution (religion or not) call them marriages.
    I've been saying this for ages. It is my position to a tee.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •